Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New Beta For iOS & Android

Not likely due to the Beta and I don't want it to turn into another argument

Reactions: Ansia
So am I correct in assuming this boat mode is nothing more than hand launch/retrieval? I honestly don't have a use for that, but last night while transferring data to the PC I figured I'd try it. I am running the beta so I fired up the Evo in the middle of the living room floor... hovered it 5 feet in the air... then came up from underneath with my hand to catch it.

When I did it went into a high speed mode with the rotors... and kept running at a much higher speed. I was hesitant to try to power it down via the battery so I turned off the remote and after a few seconds the Evo shut off.

The first and last time I try this maneuver... LOL....

Luckily you were very low otherwise turning off the remote would have initiated the RTH and it would have flew straight up to your set level. I think the boat mode is more of taking off from a moving surface but I could be wrong. I wonder if boat mode automatically turns off OA. I'm guessing it would but I was thinking that might have been why it didn't let you grab it. If you did grab it I would think all you had to do was hold the toggle down button.

Reactions: TravisPNW
Luckily you were very low otherwise turning off the remote would have initiated the RTH and it would have flew straight up to your set level. I think the boat mode is more of taking off from a moving surface but I could be wrong. I wonder if boat mode automatically turns off OA. I'm guessing it would but I was thinking that might have been why it didn't let you grab it. If you did grab it I would think all you had to do was hold the toggle down button.

Yeah I probably did something wrong. Now that I think about it I'm not sure if I had the boat mode toggled on in the settings. I only mentioned the hand launch/retrieval because I saw a video on it when I installed the beta and that's what the guy was doing.

Anyway, no harm done. I had it in my hand and the rotors were moving at a much faster rpm after I grabbed it out of the air... but the Evo did successfully power down in my hand when I turned off the remote. Not sure why it would speed up after I grabbed it?

I've only had it a couple weeks and had never tried this even before installed the beta. No use for hand launch/retrieval and as for taking off from moving surfaces I don't have a use for that either.

Reactions: Tufargon
With these small foldable drones be it Aute EVO, any of the DJI or Parrot drones if you grab it and flip it upside down the motors stop. It will register as a crash but who cares.

Reactions: Tufargon
With these small foldable drones be it Aute EVO, any of the DJI or Parrot drones if you grab it and flip it upside down the motors stop. It will register as a crash but who cares.
Did not know that. ?

You might have gotten pretty lucky there.

I'm sure I did. No plans to try this again.

Is there some place like in the app where you can view these totals? I haven't crashed it yet and I didn't flip it upside down it just powered down on it's own... but back on the first day I had it I landed on the couch with it and it hit a cushion and shut down. No harm done just wondering if I can see if that registered as a "crash."

No place in the Autel App that I know of. On the Parrot drone App it will show as a crash so I assume that Autel could tell if it was crashed or not. I hand catch all my small UAV's and flip them so I have many many crashes but I have survived LOL

No place in the Autel App that I know of. On the Parrot drone App it will show as a crash so I assume that Autel could tell if it was crashed or not. I hand catch all my small UAV's and flip them so I have many many crashes but I have survived LOL

Oh ok... all good then. I just would hate for a false crash to come back to bite me one day is all.

Solid drone... totally happy with it. Definitely don't have a use for boat mode though... :)

Ya I guess Autel could give you a hard time but if you have a dozens of flights that ended in a crash and you explained thats the way you had to shut it down by flipping it over they would have to except it. My Anafi was replaced and my flight logs are all recorded to their server and they never said anything about it. The explorer App is lacking some good features for sure. One is this.

To register as a crash one would think you need at least 2 elements 1) upside down 2) accelerator sudden action calculated by an algorythm .
At least this is I think it would operate but I can be wrong.

No worries... nothing I"m worried about was just wondering if it was something that I could track on my end.

Thanks for the replies. Happy flying!

Posted on Autels Facebook Page. Just relaying the info:

We just replaced the current beta firmware 1.4.5 with a updated version 1.4.9 which contains a key bug fixes regarding the coaching mode and Live Deck.
We will extend the current beta program for a couple of days and official release it if everything goes well. Comparing to the current firmware V1.3.46, this V1.4.9 beta contains the following main changes:
- Added ‘Boat Mode’ which allows users to take off the EVO from a non-static surface such as a boat. (Requires beta app)
- Optimized gimbal control algorithm
- Bug fixes

Can you elaborate any more on what changed with the gimbal control algorithm? I'm still not 100% happy with the horizon leveling - as it seems to be hit or miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, regardless of numerous calibrations. I've already returned one Evo due to an RC fan issue and am on my second one, and they both exhibited the same behavior - so I'm relatively sure there's nothing wrong with the Evo hardware. Just wondering if you made any improvements in this firmware.

LP

You might want to ask Autel that question as they do not hang out in this forum.

Geez...I completely missed your top line -> "Posted on Autels Facebook Page. Just relaying the info: "

Sorry about that...thought that Autel was actually here! LOL

LP

The weather broke for me briefly. I flew 18 acres this time with a 70% overlap at 200'(on purpose). The goal was to fly a mission that would require a battery change. It went as planned. No red flags. When the battery got to 10%, the screen said that the mission was completed (not), and return to home auto initiated. I changed the battery but there wasnt a resume mission prompt. This being beta, I'm still not disappointed. It's a starting point and a whole lot easier than planning manually.
I also played with aborting the mission by hitting return to home button and it worked. I didnt try the pause button or change the speed by stick yet. That will come my next free opportunity. I still say THANKS AUTEL!

Reactions: DadCorso80
The goal was to fly a mission that would require a battery change. It went as planned. No red flags. When the battery got to 10%, the screen said that the mission was completed (not), and return to home auto initiated. I changed the battery but there wasnt a resume mission prompt.

They really need to get this implemented. Its not too bad to calculate manually, but isn't accurate either as it's hard to account for the elements. Thanks for trying it out and reporting your experience.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials