Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Ludicrous mode gaining elevation is too slow.

deakbannok

Reaction score
I have performed a test flight today out in the coast with various altitudes terrain on FW 1.3.3.25 Beta (All Stock). I was having a difficult time to get the drone to climb and descend the elevation. I hope the Autel will look into this.
And dynamic track is not changing on elevation changes. So drone cannot following you on up or down hill.

I can't remember if it was in Autel's video on YouTube regarding Ludicrous mode or a warning in the app settings, but I seem to recall that it was stated that since the pitch of the drone was so severe in order to fly at those speeds that rate of climb would be adversely affected. FYI
Happy flying!

Reactions: jmbsmt63
Yes, As above, The EVO can't really climb nearly as fast while going full speed in Ludicrous mode. It will also lose a bit of altitude if just zooming along, also. You really have to be aware of what's in front of you since in Ludicrous, the obstacle sensors are off!

As far as the dynamic track not correcting for incline/decline when following... that is a known concern and I hope they (Autel) are able to update that!

In the video you can see I have stop pitching forward to try to gain elevation. It still going up very slow.
Oh btw. Return home speed is 22mph now with a max of elevation of 650+ft

A few years back most manufactures had a photo\video speed that worked for both. It was 12 MPH. Most of us buy a camera UAV to take pictures and video. Now if you wanted a racing UAV go out and buy one of those, they are a lot cheaper then the $1000+ dollar EVO.

@Spappy @jmbsmt63 After observing the flight record. I found that my left hand pitch is barely responded to input. What I did was do a calibration test on the controller. The pitch elevation is now much more responsive to the input. I did a test out on the coast with a 20mph+ wind. The drone did well on it. I also put some tests between down wind and up wind/crosswind on Elevation and Position. The drone is able to maintain its elevation and a speed in both directions. For RTH the speed is maintained at 22mph either direction of the wind.

@Agustine It was a flight performance tests to see how well can this drone handle up in elevation. Just giving a feeding back to the community. If you have spent $1000 for a drone obv you would want to check and see what you have paid for? I am living in NW cascade if you do understand.

Today i did short fly with not the best weather, and what i noticed that if flying against the wind (wind speed ±8-9m/s) in Ludicrous mode A/C was loosing altitude quite severely, in order to keep the same altitute i had to push full speed up together with full speed ahead, this is not very comfortable comparing with other manufacturer :) Hope to see this issue updated in next FW :)

Why does the Evo lose so much height yet the Mavic can maintain altitude? Is it a limit of the 3S configuration? Couldn't it be slowed a little in order to maintain height?
Even the air which is also a 3S can maintain height and that one is only slightly slower at 69km/h

Why does the Evo lose so much height yet the Mavic can maintain altitude? Is it a limit of the 3S configuration? Couldn't it be slowed a little in order to maintain height?
Even the air which is also a 3S can maintain height and that one is only slightly slower at 69km/h

Autel may be the only one's that know the answer but it could be the limit of the motor and propeller combination. I have experienced my Evo loosing altitude during flight while in ludicrous mode but I'm fine with it as I have only flown in ludicrous mode twice. Neither time was I running from a rain storm, a UFO, or most important of all... a commuter jet! Lol
I'm a slow, laid back flyer. Both drones and R/C.

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
Autel may be the only one's that know the answer but it could be the limit of the motor and propeller combination. I have experienced my Evo loosing altitude during flight while in ludicrous mode but I'm fine with it as I have only flown in ludicrous mode twice. Neither time was I running from a rain storm, a UFO, or most important of all... a commuter jet! Lol
I'm a slow, laid back flyer. Both drones and R/C.

I notice it only does it in a headwind when going for top speed. I think they should perhaps look at giving the option to maintain altitude at the expense of some speed as it can be quite dangerous in my opinion. Other GPS drones I fly can do this without issue including even Fimi which is under $500.

Is there a way to switch between speeds using a button on the remote without having to cycle through the menus? I encountered a little wind one time and the quad would not hold position. Realising no Sport mode switch I had to fumble through the menus to engage ludicrous mode to reel it back in..

The video I believe was saying it'll actually lose altitude while flying forward at high speeds do to the aerodynamics of the drone. It'll regain any lost altitude when you come to a stop. It would make sense then that it wouldn't climb well while at high speeds. This, of course, would only apply if you were trying to climb while moving forward, and I don't think this behavior is exclusive to Autel...

Well i dont know how about other foldable drones, but dji p4 in sport mode not loosing altitude and even you can climb while flying in sport :)

Because i don't own Mavic or other similar drone, i have only P4 and EVO.
Even so, they're two different designs, they'll both have their strengths and weaknesses. Saying one can do a particular thing doesn't really say anything about the other.

It shall be fixable with a firmware? I have tried to shoot a video following behind a car uphill 10%. between 50-60 kph. It was able to keep up the shot. Because the drone tried to run aground and I had my stick push all the way up to try to keep leveling above the car.

I have not tried to shoot a video on a downhill following ski yet. So I am not sure how well this drone can perform on a steep incline.

A few years back most manufactures had a photo\video speed that worked for both. It was 12 MPH. Most of us buy a camera UAV to take pictures and video. Now if you wanted a racing UAV go out and buy one of those, they are a lot cheaper then the $1000+ dollar EVO.
always sharp with your answers,as usual

Its not just ludicrous mode that loses altitude. I was in standard mode yesterday @ 33mph OA switched off fighting a headwind home and the drone was doing the exact same thing, dropping altitude to acquire speed. Even stick up it would not climb or maintain altitude.

Again I dont recall the Mavic Pro exhibiting this. Other quads on the market may, but the Evo is designed to compete with the Mavic. FWIW even the sub $500 Fimi Mi 4k did not exhibit this behavior.

Its something flyers/pilots will need to be aware of, especially those coming from DJI - If you happen to catch a headwind on your return, you may find yourself in the drink or eating gravel instead of the quad making it home. Fly safe.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials