Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Let's compile all of our knowledge into one place of how to create orthomosaic maps with an XSP

droneman123

Reaction score
Information like what is in this thread:
https://autelxpilots.com/threads/3d-mapping-apps.444/

I bought a refurbished XSP about a month or so ago and I am extremely satisfied with it. Awesome flying pumpkin! I'm actually going to be using it on my job so a repository of how to make high quality maps and take high quality ground imagery would be great. I get to fly a drone and get paid for it, I definitely can't complain :). I'm sure that other people have the same questions that I do and would benefit since there isn't much info out there of how to do this, specifically for an Autel drone. Not that it's necessarily rocket science, but it doesn't seem as intuitive as having a third party app that allows you to just automate a lot of this away. Maybe that will change at some point once a third party developer creates an app that does that for Autel (?).

Note: I know the basics and I have taken some aerial imagery and georeferenced it for my job. But it would be SUPER helpful if we could come together and create a step by step how to guide and what people have had success with, etc.

One of the smarter fellows then I made this up for the Yuneec Q500 which does not have geo-tagging capability from the forum I moderate at. It might be of interest to some.

Attachments

• 2017Feb26 NAiR post-geo-tagging Yuneec Typhoon images workflow.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 40
One of the smarter fellows then I made this up for the Yuneec Q500 which does not have geo-tagging capability from the forum I moderate at. It might be of interest to some.

Currently reading through it. Interesting stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the XSP already has embedded geotags? I think that the XSP is a step ahead of the Yuneec already for mapping

Information like what is in this thread:
https://autelxpilots.com/threads/3d-mapping-apps.444/

I bought a refurbished XSP about a month or so ago and I am extremely satisfied with it. Awesome flying pumpkin! I'm actually going to be using it on my job so a repository of how to make high quality maps and take high quality ground imagery would be great. I get to fly a drone and get paid for it, I definitely can't complain :). I'm sure that other people have the same questions that I do and would benefit since there isn't much info out there of how to do this, specifically for an Autel drone. Not that it's necessarily rocket science, but it doesn't seem as intuitive as having a third party app that allows you to just automate a lot of this away. Maybe that will change at some point once a third party developer creates an app that does that for Autel (?).

Note: I know the basics and I have taken some aerial imagery and georeferenced it for my job. But it would be SUPER helpful if we could come together and create a step by step how to guide and what people have had success with, etc.
Thanks for getting this thread going, droneman123. I was investigating using the XSP for producing orthos a few months ago, got sidetracked by other tasks and haven't been able to get back to it yet. I had some success with Maps Made Easy and did successfully create an ortho of my test site. I'm in the process of putting together the step by step process I used along with some examples from my test, and will post as soon as I get everything together, hopefully tomorrow. Thanks again, I think this is something that does interest a few of us, and I'm glad to share what I've learned and pick up some tips from others.

Thanks for posting that report Agustine, not all of it is relevant to the XSP but he does address an issue I've been wondering about, which is how much difference in ground relief can be tolerated when you're only flying 300' AGL. Very useful stuff, thanks.

Thanks for getting this thread going, droneman123. I was investigating using the XSP for producing orthos a few months ago, got sidetracked by other tasks and haven't been able to get back to it yet. I had some success with Maps Made Easy and did successfully create an ortho of my test site. I'm in the process of putting together the step by step process I used along with some examples from my test, and will post as soon as I get everything together, hopefully tomorrow. Thanks again, I think this is something that does interest a few of us, and I'm glad to share what I've learned and pick up some tips from others.

Looking forward to it. No pressure lol! The XSP has a pretty remarkable camera for a device that is only $650. I showed my boss some of the aerial imagery that I took with it and she was blown away, so I didn't have to do much convincing to make flying it a part of my job. Despite not having a flight automation third party app (yet), I think it has great potential for creating ortho maps.

Reactions: Accrecon
Looking forward to it. No pressure lol! The XSP has a pretty remarkable camera for a device that is only $650. I showed my boss some of the aerial imagery that I took with it and she was blown away, so I didn't have to do much convincing to make flying it a part of my job. Despite not having a flight automation third party app (yet), I think it has great potential for creating ortho maps.
I agree completely, people have been mapping with small format cameras long before the word "app" became a part of our daily vocabulary. No reason we can't put the XSP to work in the field. "Where there's a will, there's a way"!

I have used this method a few times and it came out pretty darn good. Not really a mapping program but more of a 3D program but still works for mapping I guess. The last one I did I was 300 feet and had the camera set to take a photo every 5 seconds on Jpeg so it had all the geotags. One of the fellows I was talking to at the time had a 3D printer and asked for the STL file of a A-Frame church that was in the final results so I scaled down the file to just the church and he printed it out almost perfect. Would have been better if i had more photos but it showed what you could do.

I agree completely, people have been mapping with small format cameras long before the word "app" became a part of our daily vocabulary. No reason we can't put the XSP to work in the field. "Where there's a will, there's a way"!

giphy.gif

I have used this method a few times and it came out pretty darn good. Not really a mapping program but more of a 3D program but still works for mapping I guess. The last one I did I was 300 feet and had the camera set to take a photo every 5 seconds on Jpeg so it had all the geotags. One of the fellows I was talking to at the time had a 3D printer and asked for the STL file of a A-Frame church that was in the final results so I scaled down the file to just the church and he printed it out almost perfect. Would have been better if i had more photos but it showed what you could do.

That is some cool stuff. I can think of so many use case for 3D modeling it's not even funny. Especially for my job currently.

Finally finished putting this guide together. I had hoped to get out and re-fly my example site before posting, but just haven't been able to get back. On the example ortho I've attached (my first attempt), I messed up and didn't get the camera started in time, and as a result missed some of the area in the lower left corner of the project. Next time I'll start the camera and confirm time lapse operation as soon as I take off. Anyway, I decided just go with what I already have, with the understanding that I know it's not perfect, but I do believe it shows great potential.

First, a couple of comments on this particular test. This is a very simple test project with very few, uncomplicated features. No ground control was utilized which would greatly increase accuracy. My initial goal was to simply explore the potential of using the XSP to produce orthometricaly rectified aerial photos (orthos) of small sites that could be used as a reference base layer for other mapping/planning/research tasks, the end result being an aerial photo that is more accurate, has higher resolution and is more up to date than what is currently available from Google Earth or ESRI. I believe there are other uses entirely within the potential capabilities of the X-Star, but that is not what this initial experiment was intended to accomplish - really, I just wanted to see if this process would even work before proceeding with a more refined effort.

So here you go, one solution to "How to Map without an App". Not saying it's the only way, or even that it's a good way, but it does seem to be one way to get the job done until something better comes along. I've attached a number of examples from various stages of the process, along with a final comparison to a Google Earth clip. While the end results are not perfect (some lines that should be straight appear “wavy” and there are a couple of other anamolies) I do believe acceptable results are entirely achievable, and plan to pursue more sophisticated testing, including adding ground control points and ground “truthing” with GPS to test complience with mapping standards. I am greatly encouraged by the excellent resolution of the imagery, for example the single power line to the abandoned pump house is readily visible (in addition to the shadow, which is also discernable on the Google Earth clip). Please feel free to comment, thanks.

Attachments

• 2_Pix4D_GSD_Calculator_120.jpg
    2_Pix4D_GSD_Calculator_120.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 3_MME_KML_120.jpg
    3_MME_KML_120.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 4_MissionPlan_120.jpg
    4_MissionPlan_120.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 5_MME_Ortho_120.jpg
    5_MME_Ortho_120.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • 6_Compare_GE_XSP.jpg
    6_Compare_GE_XSP.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
  • 1_XSP_Ortho_Guide.pdf
    191.7 KB · Views: 60
Finally finished putting this guide together. I had hoped to get out and re-fly my example site before posting, but just haven't been able to get back. On the example ortho I've attached (my first attempt), I messed up and didn't get the camera started in time, and as a result missed some of the area in the lower left corner of the project. Next time I'll start the camera and confirm time lapse operation as soon as I take off. Anyway, I decided just go with what I already have, with the understanding that I know it's not perfect, but I do believe it shows great potential.

First, a couple of comments on this particular test. This is a very simple test project with very few, uncomplicated features. No ground control was utilized which would greatly increase accuracy. My initial goal was to simply explore the potential of using the XSP to produce orthometricaly rectified aerial photos (orthos) of small sites that could be used as a reference base layer for other mapping/planning/research tasks, the end result being an aerial photo that is more accurate, has higher resolution and is more up to date than what is currently available from Google Earth or ESRI. I believe there are other uses entirely within the potential capabilities of the X-Star, but that is not what this initial experiment was intended to accomplish - really, I just wanted to see if this process would even work before proceeding with a more refined effort.

So here you go, one solution to "How to Map without an App". Not saying it's the only way, or even that it's a good way, but it does seem to be one way to get the job done until something better comes along. I've attached a number of examples from various stages of the process, along with a final comparison to a Google Earth clip. While the end results are not perfect (some lines that should be straight appear “wavy” and there are a couple of other anamolies) I do believe acceptable results are entirely achievable, and plan to pursue more sophisticated testing, including adding ground control points and ground “truthing” with GPS to test complience with mapping standards. I am greatly encouraged by the excellent resolution of the imagery, for example the single power line to the abandoned pump house is readily visible (in addition to the shadow, which is also discernable on the Google Earth clip). Please feel free to comment, thanks.

Now THAT is what I am talking about! You deserve a gold medal for this test and putting this together. Seriously. Really impressive stuff.

I am going to give your instructions a go and see if I can replicate it to the quality level that you did for your test (I suspect so, those instructions you wrote are A+ in quality and detail). Your result is much better quality imagery than Google Earth so I really do believe this is viable. And better than ESRI too... they get their imagery from DigtalGlobe and a few other sources so it's incredible that the XSP easily surpasses what they provide. So much potential here, as I think you'd agree.

Some questions:
How long did it take to go from Step 1 to the last step in your instructions?
Is it a fairly easy process to set up the waypoints using the method that you described or is there some trial and error? Also, with some practice, would it be possible to do this whole process out in the field on a tablet or smartphone if someone wanted additional orthomosaic imagery on the spot?
Did the XSP handle all of this smoothly when you conducted the mission? What happens if you include the photos when the drone turns, does the resulting map get warped?
I'll probably think of more questions when I go to sleep lol, of course...

It's a bit concerning that the GPS error tolerance is that high so I hope they listened to your suggestion for improvement (maybe it's a part of the new firmware? I didn't see anything about that in the new firmware notes, but hey you never know). I tend to geofit images using ArcMap and some object that is close by, so using it for a project near something recognizable still is doable, but yeah I agree that would be a big upgrade if they fixed that.

I agree, this 100% looks doable.

Now THAT is what I am talking about! You deserve a gold medal for this test and putting this together. Seriously. Really impressive stuff.

I am going to give your instructions a go and see if I can replicate it to the quality level that you did for your test (I suspect so, those instructions you wrote are A+ in quality and detail). Your result is much better quality imagery than Google Earth so I really do believe this is viable. And better than ESRI too... they get their imagery from DigtalGlobe and a few other sources so it's incredible that the XSP easily surpasses what they provide. So much potential here, as I think you'd agree.

Some questions:
How long did it take to go from Step 1 to the last step in your instructions?
Is it a fairly easy process to set up the waypoints using the method that you described or is there some trial and error? Also, with some practice, would it be possible to do this whole process out in the field on a tablet or smartphone if someone wanted additional orthomosaic imagery on the spot?
Did the XSP handle all of this smoothly when you conducted the mission? What happens if you include the photos when the drone turns, does the resulting map get warped?
I'll probably think of more questions when I go to sleep lol, of course...

It's a bit concerning that the GPS error tolerance is that high so I hope they listened to your suggestion for improvement (maybe it's a part of the new firmware? I didn't see anything about that in the new firmware notes, but hey you never know). I tend to geofit images using ArcMap and some object that is close by, so using it for a project near something recognizable still is doable, but yeah I agree that would be a big upgrade if they fixed that.

I agree, this 100% looks doable.
Thanks for your kind words, I've learned a great deal from the generous and helpful folks on this and other forums, and am always glad to make my own contribution when I can.

As for your questions, the most time consuming part of this whole operation was tracking down the camera lens and sensor specifications. Why they aren't included in the published specs I don't really know, but between a fair amount of research and some back-and-forth communication with Autel CS, I was able to get them nailed down so I could input the required information into the Maps Made Easy template. With that information, most of the steps take longer to write down than to actually perform. The actual processing time will vary depending on the MME workload (free jobs will always get bumped by paying jobs), but I believe it took less than 2 hours from the time I uploaded the files until processing was complete, and they sent status reports with updated completion time estimates throughout the process.

I find it extremely easy to set and manipulate the waypoints, just make sure you get the desired AGL entered for each one. There should be no problem doing it the field, but I would highly recommend a tablet rather than a phone just to have the extra workspace. I have used an iPad Air and an iPad Pro, both 9.7", and found that it is much easier and more precise to drag the waypoints into place using a stylus rather than my finger.

One thing I might mention, although I'm pretty sure it's been well documented on this and other forums, is that Starlink's 1600' distance limit on waypoints is measured from the first waypoint set, not your launch position. If you're having trouble fitting your site inside the limits of the safety circle, set a "dummy" waypoint for your first waypoint in the center of your project, then build your mission plan as normal - in other words, Waypoint 2 would be at the lower left corner of your flight plan. As long as you're launching from a point somewhere inside the circle, you can theoretically have a flight line up to 3200' long.

The X-Star worked flawlessly on this project. Since I selected "Return to Home" as the behavior once the mission was complete, the flight was about as close to being totally autonomous as possible. My main error was confusion over when I started the camera firing; as I approached the first waypoint I didn't realize I had already started shooting, so I inadvertently turned it off when I thought I was turning it on and wound up missing a portion of the first flight line before I got myself squared away. Totally my fault, and if I had taken a look at the flight record in the field I would have seen the results of that mistake at the time and reflown the mission while I was still on site. One of the many things you just learn by experience! Make sure you shoot in JPEG format so the images are geotagged. I have my controller mounted on a tripod (as a surveyor, feels very natural to me), so I just gently rotated it to keep it more or less pointed at the XSP throughout the mission, and had no issues with video or RC connectivity.

I don't know what happens if you don't delete the photos in the turns, this is the only project I've had processed and I took them out before uploading to MME. I would guess it would distort the image or possibly generate an error message, but I really don't know for sure.

Agreed, as long as you have some known objects present to geofit the image, you can use ArcMap or AutoCAD to simple move the image into position. Still, it would be handy if the precision of the EXIF data matched that of the XSP's GPS. Thanks again, be sure to let me know if you have any other questions - this is a great place to learn from each other!

Last edited:
If I knew you needed the focal length I could have given you this lol Its from panorama studio that reads it from the EXIF info.
To late now but great work for sure.

Untitled-1.jpg

OK so playing around with your tutorial this evening I got up to this point here:

9. Click where is says "Click here for extra metrics" to open box showing "Pass to
Pass Dist
I could not find this spot to click? What am I missing :)

OK so playing around with your tutorial this evening I got up to this point here:

9. Click where is says "Click here for extra metrics" to open box showing "Pass to
Pass Dist
I could not find this spot to click? What am I missing :)
It's at the bottom of the Google Earth viewport, on the left side, right above where it says "Camera Definition".

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I made a little test mission but weather is not so nice for flying these days. Perhaps I will get out this weekend to test it. I want to map out the local water falls. Has a large parking lot to take off from and is close to where the mission is. My first waypoint I am going to have the X-Star hover for 30 seconds so I can start the time laps photos before going through the mission. There was the question when the X-Star gets turned about warped image. Other programs I have used like Agisoft is smart enough to use the EXIF info to sort the images out so hopefully this will too. I had to make some adjustments on height to stay legal here in Canada but that was pretty easy to do. Now if it would warm up some I will be good to go :)

screenshot-www.gpsvisualizer.com 2017-11-09 09-07-23-515.png

screenshot-www.uavforecast.com 2017-11-09 09-24-06-792.png

Reactions: Sundog775
I made a little test mission but weather is not so nice for flying these days. Perhaps I will get out this weekend to test it. I want to map out the local water falls. Has a large parking lot to take off from and is close to where the mission is. My first waypoint I am going to have the X-Star hover for 30 seconds so I can start the time laps photos before going through the mission. There was the question when the X-Star gets turned about warped image. Other programs I have used like Agisoft is smart enough to use the EXIF info to sort the images out so hopefully this will too. I had to make some adjustments on height to stay legal here in Canada but that was pretty easy to do. Now if it would warm up some I will be good to go :)

View attachment 1539

View attachment 1540
That looks pretty blustery for sure (that's why you have that big glove, right?:)) One thing I learned on my one single project so far was to make sure that next time I fly it, I overfly the north and south ends (in this orientation) to be sure my area of interest is completely covered. Reason being is that there is no way to know for sure where in the time lapse sequence the next photo is going to be taken; it could be right at the beginning of the flight line or it could be a number of seconds along the line which would result in missing some coverage. Something I don't know, and I was going to try to verify next time I go out, is when you direct the XSP to hover at a waypoint, does it make the turn to the next waypoint at the beginning of the hover, or at the end? I suspect it's the latter, but I don't know for sure. It will be very interesting to see what happens if you don't remove the images taken in the turns prior to processing, that would be great if the program could sort it out, and one less step in the preparation. Good Luck!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo