Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Just unboxed an X star Premium, Batteries won't charge..

Nightwolf

Reaction score
Well foolish me purchased a brand new (still in the box) X Star Premium that sat since December 2018. Both batteries show 1 light of power but won't charge. I did a reboot on both with no success. Needless to say I ordered new batteries. My $400.00 investment is becoming costly for a discontinued model. Any suggestions being that the batteries have never been used.

Read this thread.

Well foolish me purchased a brand new (still in the box) X Star Premium that sat since December 2018. Both batteries show 1 light of power but won't charge. I did a reboot on both with no success. Needless to say I ordered new batteries. My $400.00 investment is becoming costly for a discontinued model. Any suggestions being that the batteries have never been used.
Did you reboot battery while connected to the charger?

If you have a 12 volt power supply, I've had good luck with giving them a boost for a couple minutes and then trying charging them. You either have to take the battery apart or make sure at least the on button is blinking and insert some sort of pin in the plus and negative slots and hook your charger to them.

If you have a 12 volt power supply, I've had good luck with giving them a boost for a couple minutes and then trying charging them. You either have to take the battery apart or make sure at least the on button is blinking and insert some sort of pin in the plus and negative slots and hook your charger to them.
Would you happen to know with certainty which slot is + and - ?

Thanks for the reply. I am not an expert but I consider myself as someone with a decent understanding of how these batteries work. I tried applying 12v with my variable power supply and the battery would not draw anything. At this point, I thought I can either have a paperweight or i can try to turn the paperweight into a functioning battery. I removed the cap off the battery and took it apart a little bit to where I was able to remove the battery terminals from the charging circuitry. I attached these terminals to my power supply once again and applied 12v (dropped to about 6v under load but quickly rose up to 10v) at 10v I stopped, reattached the charging circuitry and the charger recognized the battery and is charging it as I type this. This battery was sitting for about 1-1.5 years and I have revived it. IMG_5542.jpg
IMG_5543.jpg
IMG_5544.jpg

Just remember giving them a boost is not recommended but done by a lot of people and it works. Some say no more then 3 minutes as the battery can over heat very fast if you leave it on for to long.

View attachment 7295

Thanks for that information. One of my Xstar P batteries fails to charge after a period of non use as well....Just wondering what 12V power supply and amperage you used? I have a couple of 12V battery maintainers, I might try to rig up a connection, place it in a lipo bag and see what happens. The battery turns on but not sure if it has enough voltage for the maintainer to recognize it, we’ll see :rolleyes:

I have one of these cheap, no-name power supplies that can do like 30v at 3 amps
1592179798985.png
I recommend investing in one, it has been more useful than I could have ever imagined.

Anyways, here is a rundown of what I did to get my battery that was sitting since 2018 to work again. I should have taken more photos when I did mine because I do not want to open it back up again.
  1. Took the top off the battery following this guy's instructions (I was super super careful while doing this because plan b was ordering a new one and sending this one back?) This part will take a while.
  2. Remove the charging connector and the charge controller from the inside of the case so that they are now still attached to the battery but outside. Kind of like this:IMG_5542.jpg
  3. I removed the charging circuitry from the battery via soldering iron but I am not sure if this was entirely necessary. I am not an expert but something inside of me told me that it would be a good idea to remove it before I start messing with it.IMG_5543.jpg
  4. I set my power supply to 12 and the lowest possible current without lowering the voltage.
  5. I connected the power supply to the correct terminals and crossed my fingers (do this somewhere you can afford to have a fire)
  6. I observed that the voltage dropped to 6 volts but rapidly climbed up to 8 volts within 30 seconds
  7. I disconnected the power supply and connected the charging circuitry to see if I had made any progress. The LED's of the battery indicator very faintly lit up but I decided to add a little more juice before soldering it back on
  8. I repeated step 4 but this time I let it get up to 12v
  9. Repeated step 7 but the indicators looked like this1592181406316.png
  10. Solder the charging circuitry back on. This part can be very dangerous/risky, make sure you do a good job with these connections because if they break from vibrations while flying, your drone is toast. Also don't short anything or touch anything but the solder point with the positive battery lead. All these concerns made me realize that perhaps I shouldn't have done step 3.
  11. Put it back together
  12. Hopefully it charges with the autel charger, if not, I recommend discarding the battery.
I hope this will serve as some guidance for anyone looking to fix their dead autel batteries. I have not really seen a complete tutorial on this forum and this isn't one either, just some information regarding my experience.

Good Luck and reply/pm me for any questions, i'm happy to help.

Attachments

• IMG_5543.jpg
    IMG_5543.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
Reactions: drrags
I have one of these cheap, no-name power supplies that can do like 30v at 3 amps
View attachment 7379
I recommend investing in one, it has been more useful than I could have ever imagined.

Anyways, here is a rundown of what I did to get my battery that was sitting since 2018 to work again. I should have taken more photos when I did mine because I do not want to open it back up again.
  1. Took the top off the battery following this guy's instructions (I was super super careful while doing this because plan b was ordering a new one and sending this one back?) This part will take a while.
  2. Remove the charging connector and the charge controller from the inside of the case so that they are now still attached to the battery but outside. Kind of like this:View attachment 7381
  3. I removed the charging circuitry from the battery via soldering iron but I am not sure if this was entirely necessary. I am not an expert but something inside of me told me that it would be a good idea to remove it before I start messing with it.View attachment 7383
  4. I set my power supply to 12 and the lowest possible current without lowering the voltage.
  5. I connected the power supply to the correct terminals and crossed my fingers (do this somewhere you can afford to have a fire)
  6. I observed that the voltage dropped to 6 volts but rapidly climbed up to 8 volts within 30 seconds
  7. I disconnected the power supply and connected the charging circuitry to see if I had made any progress. The LED's of the battery indicator very faintly lit up but I decided to add a little more juice before soldering it back on
  8. I repeated step 4 but this time I let it get up to 12v
  9. Repeated step 7 but the indicators looked like thisView attachment 7384
  10. Solder the charging circuitry back on. This part can be very dangerous/risky, make sure you do a good job with these connections because if they break from vibrations while flying, your drone is toast. Also don't short anything or touch anything but the solder point with the positive battery lead. All these concerns made me realize that perhaps I shouldn't have done step 3.
  11. Put it back together
  12. Hopefully it charges with the autel charger, if not, I recommend discarding the battery.
I hope this will serve as some guidance for anyone looking to fix their dead autel batteries. I have not really seen a complete tutorial on this forum and this isn't one either, just some information regarding my experience.

Good Luck and reply/pm me for any questions, i'm happy to help.

Thanks for the reply oschnippering it was very helpful.
I’ll pickup a voltage supply unit and go about it in 3 steps....
1- apply 12V to battery leads while battery is on. If no luck....
2- remove battery cap, split case, extract connector leads and circuit board from case then apply voltage directly to battery. If still no result....
3- follow your step 3.....separate battery from circuitry with voltage to battery only.

Thanks again, I’ll follow up with treatment or surgical results :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply oschnippering it was very helpful.
I’ll pickup a voltage supply unit and go about it in 3 steps....
1- apply 12V to battery leads while battery is on. If no luck....
2- remove battery cap, split case, extract connector leads and circuit board from case then apply voltage directly to battery. If still no result....
3- follow your step 3.....separate battery from circuitry with voltage to battery only.

Thanks again, I’ll follow up with treatment or surgical results :rolleyes:
best of luck!
be super careful when splitting the case, this part can ruin the battery very quickly if the thin film is punctured

Success!!
I removed the lipo & circuit board from it’s casing, with board still connected to battery I appplied 12v to the leads coming out of battery for 3 min. or so, plugged it into stock charger and it took right off.
Popped it into the XSP and cautiously hovered around for 20 min., cells were normal within Starlink app.
Thanks again for the advice oschnippering.

Last edited:
Success!!
I removed the lipo & circuit board from it’s casing, with board still connected to battery I appplied 12v to the leads coming out of battery for 3 min. or so, plugged it into stock charger and it took right off.
Popped it into the XSP and cautiously hovered around for 20 min., cells were normal within Starlink app.
Thanks again for the advice oschnippering.
I am very happy to hear that it worked out for you. Best wishes to you and your battery!

For what it is worth I did a test and took one battery apart and hooked up my variable 12 volt power supply and only charged it for " 20 SECONDS " reassembled the battery and that was enough for the charger to recognize the battery.
Next test, I didn't disassemble the battery, I just used jumper wires to connect the battery to the power supply again only charging the battery for " 20 SECONDS " and again that was enough of a charge to start charging the battery. I have been able to use and recharge these batteries with out a problem. I have used this method before to revive other lithium polymer batteries with great success.IMG_20200831_113512791.jpg

Reactions: Tufargon
When trying to jump start battery with 12v what amperage should I set. Sorry if this is a stupid question. But I just purchased a variable power supply. thank you

I really can't answer that question, if you look at my machine, one side of the switch says volts the other amps, I just turned the switch to volts and turned the dial till it read 12 volts. then counted off twenty seconds and that's all it took. I wish I could give you a more scientific response. But what I can tell you is this method revived my three batteries and they work spot on.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials