Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Increased transmission switching to another type antenna, and adding booster

So I chose the 4Hawks SR. I I am extremely happy with my purchase. They provide the penetration through the noise exactly as I had hoped and needed. They work great with the Lifthor tablet Mount I purchased. Well worth the money in my opinion! I even went to Red Rock last weekend and did a short-range test. I was able to go 3 miles with zero latency and not one bit of video break up. Extremely happy! I would definitely recommend the 4Hawks if the Alientech is too pricey for you. Super simple and quick install. Just follow the steps by step instructions carefully and don't pinch any wiring.
Very nice setup, I’d heard the same from others using 4Hawks SR. Noticeable signal improvement, You’re set to fly in areas with high interference or rough terrain with obstacles.

When you get the chance, Now that your controller is setup for different antennas try out the smaller whip antennas. You’ll be amazed, much better than stock antennas.

With the Lifthor tablet mount, I’ve read negative reviews on them. Too big, too heavy etc, etc. I like mine, it’s actually a nice tablet mount for Evo controller, Weight isn’t heavy at all.

Good job with the controller antenna mod, good to see others experiencing a stronger controller signal.

Paul

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
Very nice setup, I’d heard the same from others using 4Hawks SR. Noticeable signal improvement, You’re set to fly in areas with high interference or rough terrain with obstacles.

When you get the chance, Now that your controller is setup for different antennas try out the smaller whip antennas. You’ll be amazed, much better than stock antennas.

With the Lifthor tablet mount, I’ve read negative reviews on them. Too big, too heavy etc, etc. I like mine, it’s actually a nice tablet mount for Evo controller, Weight isn’t heavy at all.

Good job with the controller antenna mod, good to see others experiencing a stronger controller signal.

Paul

I love the Lifthor and have no complains. It can be a little bulky but it is well worth the extra few minutes to set up. I found mounting on my tripod is the way to go! The lanyard works for when you need move around, but once you use the tripod, that's the best! So smooth to the tinest detail. I plan on purchasing the whips soon. Excited try them.

I love the Lifthor and have no complains. It can be a little bulky but it is well worth the extra few minutes to set up. I found mounting on my tripod is the way to go! The lanyard works for when you need move around, but once you use the tripod, that's the best! So smooth to the tinest detail. I plan on purchasing the whips soon. Excited try them.
I have a few sets of whip antennas, Shoot me a pm with your mailing address and I’ll send you a set.

it’s okay, no inconvenience I’ll be glad too.

Paul

I have a few sets of whip antennas, Shoot me a pm with your mailing address and I’ll send you a set.

it’s okay, no inconvenience I’ll be glad too.

Paul
Here’s the set, because your connectors are threaded type, you may not need the antenna bracket keeping antennas from swaying. Alientech Pro uses quick-release connectors, whip antennas flop over without bracket with quick-release connectors.

If they do tend to fold over from a bump, use this paper drawing and cut out bracket from an old plastic DVD jacket. That should keep it secure, let us know how the transmission signal is using whips. Others having weak transmission signal may want to consider this type of antenna setup, hopefully your results are as positive as ours using whips for those not wanting to go amplified.

Will ship these out today,
Paul

7AEF5044-C9CB-4333-BF27-B8A7D0447863.jpeg

Here’s the set, because your connectors are threaded type, you may not need the antenna bracket keeping antennas from swaying. Alientech Pro uses quick-release connectors, whip antennas flop over without bracket with quick-release connectors.

If they do tend to fold over from a bump, use this paper drawing and cut out bracket from an old plastic DVD jacket. That should keep it secure, let us know how the transmission signal is using whips. Others having weak transmission signal may want to consider this type of antenna setup, hopefully your results are as positive as ours using whips for those not wanting to go amplified.

Will ship these out today,
Paul

View attachment 8349
Thank you Soo much! I will definitely let you know how they perform.

Just reporting on my experience with Alientech. After Waldo Pepper posted on his experience with this mod, I went online to scout reviews and videos on both performance and installation. I was more interested in signal strength and selectivity vs distance given the heavy RF environment in my part of town.

Because I was somewhat confined in the house due to wildfire smoke, I took a calculated gamble and ordered direct from Alientech. Here is where it became interesting. The accepted my order and within 48 hours it was on my porch. I was stunned: Shenzhen-HK-LAX-SEA.

I opened the box and performed an inventory of the parts. I watched the Alientech video 3x. I took screen shots and performed a dry rehearsal at each step.

The next morning after I had my morning coffee, I began the mod was it went very smoothly. No surprises. The only tools I calculated and had on hand (over and above the Alientech tools) were a super bright LED headlamp, locking hemostat and a small utility box cutter. I also added an empty egg carton to place and separate each part.

If you have experience working on electronic circuit boards, this mod will be without drama. If you have ever worked inside a smartphone, this mod will be a piece of cake.

p.s. there was one moment which could have proved disasterous but fortunately ended up okay: the 90# german shepherd dog was itching to play and go for a walk and jumped on me during the mod project. Luckily, I was able to find the small screw in the carpet after a couple of minutes.

I took close up photos during the mod so shoot me a PM if you're about to tackle this project. Total cost was $329 US direct to my door Alientech - I'm wondering now if the fast response was because I added a few Chinese words of thanks within my order.

p.s. I just remembered that I had a surprise 'cash back' balance on the credit card so I applied that towards the Alientech purchase so the transaction cost came to to $270.

Last edited:
@waltermitty Might be good just to post a couple pictures to show the connections and the antenna wire routing. I forgot to take pictures when I did mine.

Oh yah, forgot to add something about the Alientech design. They did a great job. The Evo I and II RCs...the antenna leads coming out of the remote are closer together than the DJI Mavic Pro RC's, but with the Alientech designed for the Evo line, you can slide the connection wider or closer, depending on what RC you are using, so if you happen to have a Mavic Pro, Spark, etc that uses 2.4G...you are good to go. Very nice design.

Last edited:
overkill for this forum (i think) but I just compiled this for my cousin so he do do his own mod. i will leave it up for a few weeks. if it proves useful here, I can try to parse it for this forum (to bypass the size limit).

Alientech install....

It may choke upon displaying so give it time to download to buffer, or just
download direct to your computer. It is a 17mb PDF

Last edited:
Reactions: Quad808
There are plenty of youtube videos showing how to modify the controller for 4hawks/Alientech. I did mine myself and it took 10-15 minutes. It was quite simple if you follow the video instructions. The biggest take away (for me) was to not pinch the wires.

yeah, it was stupid easy. my cuz not as brite or experienced and I wouldn't think of encouraging others without knowing their level of skill. Fortunately Evo
owners lucked out. Compared to the Mavic et al, we have much less hoops to
jump through. I did try to ID the battery but didn't feel like cutting open the
wrap. the diameter made me think of the ubiquitous 18650 though.

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
yeah, it was stupid easy. my cuz not as brite or experienced and I wouldn't think of encouraging others without knowing their level of skill. Fortunately Evo
owners lucked out. Compared to the Mavic et al, we have much less hoops to
jump through. I did try to ID the battery but didn't feel like cutting open the
wrap. the diameter made me think of the ubiquitous 18650 though.

Yes, good point. I would not encourage anyone who does not feel comfortable with opening and modifying their controller to attempt doing the Mod. If you do decide to try it, I would suggest studying all the videos and forums possible before making an attempt. Remember that once you crack open your RC, you void the warranty on it.

I probably could have done the mod but I'm going on a big cross-country trip for the week and no way was I going to risk damaging the remote and putting my 6k out of action; after all, it's the star of the road trip. if rc's were readily available where you can quickly order a replacement, perhaps. instead, I didn't take any chances and I left it up to the professionals (thanks covertdrones)! :)

I probably could have done the mod but I'm going on a big cross-country trip for the week and no way was I going to risk damaging the remote and putting my 6k out of action; after all, it's the star of the road trip. if rc's were readily available where you can quickly order a replacement, perhaps. instead, I didn't take any chances and I left it up to the professionals (thanks covertdrones)! :)

I pray your trip is safe and productive! If you're going for hurricane work, I'd be more concerned about other drones in your airspace than modifying your controller. ??

Anyone using the alientech boosted antenna in CE area? I tried a few boosted options with the mav2 but didn’t get outstanding results. Keen to try this with the evo 2 but interested if anyone has already done it.
Cheers

decided to bite the bullet and ordered direct from alientech last night. Hopefully will not take to long to arrive.
Has anyone tried boosting the Live Deck? As its just a receiver, im not sure how this would work. Ive got some gear i may play with(boosters and antenna etc) when it arrives to see if i can improve on this also.

ive been using alientech for years and product is great

Attachments

• 121709490_3382443995165810_7370485601921527245_n.jpg
    121709490_3382443995165810_7370485601921527245_n.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 121829518_3382444051832471_6521902055809111855_n.jpg
    121829518_3382444051832471_6521902055809111855_n.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 122036489_3382444101832466_9054027307627168795_n.jpg
    122036489_3382444101832466_9054027307627168795_n.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Waldo Pepper
You should not see any difference in output via CE or FCC mode. The incoming signal (CE or FCC) is boosted to the max the amps can output. If the incoming signal is already boosted, (like via a software boost, running the internal RC amp boosted higher than FCC mode) you run the risk of burning out the amps in any add on booster.....so CE or FCC mode should not matter at all. The Alientech should output the same for both.

ahh ok. So its not a matter of just adding an amount or multiplying of signal strength? it just has an output hat is set regardless of signal in? so in theory i should see a larger improvement in a CE area than what the guys in FCC should see.
Ive never had an amazing increase with boosters on a few dji craft ive played with. Inspires and mavics. Ive never used the alien tech booster before and obviously new to the autel. Very interested to see the results

Reactions: Waldo Pepper

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain