Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Gimbal motion in FPV mode... your opinion?

Apollo11capcom

Reaction score
Looking for your opinions... I was happy to test the fpv option on my Evo and see that when in fpv mode and the gimbal is also in fpv mode, the gimbal follows your head motion using the accelerometer in the phone. My question is why is it only the vertical pitch? The gimbal obviously has the ability to pivot left and right, as does my head, is there a reason they didn't add that ability? I think full motion would be awesome, I can track with my head way better than i can with my fingers.

Funny you bring this up. I was thinking the same thing last week! If the gimbal/camera set up has the ability to do it during it's calibration, you would THINK it was possible to be an added feature. I'm merely assuming that it's got to do with cost. Then again DJI charges a mint and non of the Mavics' pan that way either, so there must be something more to it.

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
Maybe I'll send them an email. Im thinking the must be more to it as well, it's too obvious for an engineer to not think about.

It would be very nice to have the option to look right and left as you are in forward flight. I can see the possibility of it causing confusion though. Especially for beginners. It depends on the way it would be set up I guess. Perhaps they could have it on a switch to enable and disable left and right gimbal movement.

Here's what Autel has said so far...

My question is- when in fpv mode, why does the gimbal only follow vertical pitch when you move your head up and down? It seems like it could track your head side to side in order to pan too, it obviously has that capability. Was there a technical or financial limitation, other? Or will it be in the next software update now that I've sent this brilliant idea that no one's ever thought of? (Lol, my point being certainly this can't be an original idea of mine).

Thanks in advance,

Thank you for reaching out to us! When you're in FPV mode, you only have control over the pitch for a couple of reasons. The first is that is technically the only controllable movement for the gimbal itself. When the aircraft does it start up, the camera looks left and right, but that is just to make sure that it can reach the necessary thresholds to keep a stable image while the aircraft is yawing or for tracking an object. The second reason is for safety. IF you were to swing your head around quickly because someone got your attention or something along those lines, if the aircraft were to yaw while you did that movement, it could cause a crash. For those two reasons, the gimbal can only pan up and down in FPV mode, as well as in normal flight modes.

Hope this helps!

Regarding your two points, is the gimbals movement only controllable by software design or is there something with the hardware that makes the left/ right motion differ from the up/ down motion?

Also regarding the safety issue, what I had in mind is only the gimbal moving, not the aircraft, so in you example if someone next to you startled you and you turned your head towards them, the aircraft wouldn't move, just the gimbal... the aircraft movements would still be controlled by the remote alone.

Thanks in advance for taking your time to answer my questions,

Waiting for a reply, will post when I have it.

Reactions: Bulldoggboyz
Interesting reply...Okay, so safety issue on the FPV movement. What about just making it so the gimbal/ camera has that ability in regular flight modes? I'm sure it would take some time to get used to, but it would be wayyyy cool to have the ability to turn the camera without yawing. Of course that ship has sailed already, as it would mean a new controller with the appropriate scroll wheel/s on it. Oh well....Maybe next time! LOL!

Interesting reply...Okay, so safety issue on the FPV movement. What about just making it so the gimbal/ camera has that ability in regular flight modes? I'm sure it would take some time to get used to, but it would be wayyyy cool to have the ability to turn the camera without yawing. Of course that ship has sailed already, as it would mean a new controller with the appropriate scroll wheel/s on it. Oh well....Maybe next time! LOL!
Idk, maybe we just found a use for the two buttons underneath I keep hitting on accident! At least until a new remote is released ;)

Follow up response from Autel:

Hello

So I chatted with my head tech about this. He said that it is a software issue actually. He told me that the EVO was never designed to do so and that FPV was added as a courtesy for those who wanted a VR function with their app. I've relayed your request to my engineering team as well, so that they know it is a request that is desired!

If there is anything else I can help you out with, please let me know!

Best Regards,

Fantastic, thank you for forwarding my request. For what is worth, I've talked to several other Evo owners and quite a few have wanted this function as well.

I look forward to seeing where this goes!

Best regards,

That sounds somewhat promising!

Idk, maybe we just found a use for the two buttons underneath I keep hitting on accident! At least until a new remote is released ;)
I hate the two buttons also. I hit the gallery button so many times today, it was pathetic! The controller seems smart enough, we should be able to assign any switch to do most anything. Or at least the two on the back. If nothing else, have the choice to disable them.

I hate the two buttons also. I hit the gallery button so many times today, it was pathetic! The controller seems smart enough, we should be able to assign any switch to do most anything. Or at least the two on the back. If nothing else, have the choice to disable them.
I thought I saw somewhere that those are programmable, the one (B? Left side when holding normally) doesn't even have a function by default. If it was all fully programmable I don't think I'd change anything anyway, other than those two.

I thought I saw somewhere that those are programmable, the one (B? Left side when holding normally) doesn't even have a function by default. If it was all fully programmable I don't think I'd change anything anyway, other than those two.
They WILL be programmable in the future per Autel.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonhenkelman