Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Brand new nano+ gimbal fails self check and calibration

wafflez

Reaction score
I just purchased a nano+ and I am having an issue with the gimbal. My initial searches show a few articles claiming there are or were widespread issues with the gimbal on these. I figured I would post here and see if this is indeed a common issue and whether I should be returning it.

From the start right out of the box after the self check, the gimbal is skewed left and is stuck in a self checking loop. After many restarts, it finally managed to center the gimbal. Upon flight there appears to be some brief stickage before it corrects itself when banking left or right. No matter how level the surface is, the majority of the time the gimbal fails to self initialize. Gimbal calibration will not exceed 55% and has failed the numerous times I have tried it. If I twist the gimbal slightly to the right before powering on, it will self initialize fine most of the time. Sticking with banking still exists and the gimbal calibration still fails at 55%. I have noticed that during the calibration when returning back from the right skew, it does seem to sorta drop back down rather then move smoothly like it does from the left.

Is there anything further that can be done on my end? Many thanks..

Hi there, just want to hop in here, as my nano+ also has gimbal issues. It moves around during power up, but then stops slightly upwards. No errors reported, but it won't move anymore in any direction after that point. Also gimbal calibration starts (but no movement during this) and hangs at 99%. All attempts to reset or whatever didn't help so far.

Strange thing is, I found some videos on YT, where a Malaysian shop offers repairs (looks quite similar to my issue) and thy just seem to use some software with a few clicks to fix this, but they blurred the video. No response from them so far...

Anyone has an idea on this?

Sounds similar to what mine is doing. If you give it a slight, gentle twist after power on and right after the camera quits moving, this typically resolves the centering issues. It does nothing for the stickage I appear to be getting.

On the other hand, I ordered another and plan to return the first. My second nano has no gimbal issues out of the dozen or so times I powered it on. I haven't been able to fly it due to weather so I also haven't registered it for that matter yet. Snooping around the firmware does appear to be the same and the serial numbers are a newer revision by a few thousand. Only thing so far bothering me with replacement without flying was all three batteries had zero charge in them, hoping they are not my next issue.

I did see that video as well, without context I just moved along..

Rather then create a new thread...

I wonder if anyone knows of a way to reset the return drone to factory state so to say or erase any information from it?

Me too, I used my drone for about 10 months before the issue started - suggesting a firmware/software issue. I took it on a surf trip to Panama and it worked fine for the first 2 days - had to pack the drone away in total frustration for the last three weeks of the vacation.

Me too, I'm waiting for a firmware update for a long time thinking that may works. But now Im hopeless and maybe autel will not release another firmware

Firmware didn't help at my drone. I got a file with gimbal FW by Autel support to reflash it using the SD card, but didn't work. I had to send it in and now the gimbal will be replaced.

Firmware didn't help at my drone. I got a file with gimbal FW by Autel support to reflash it using the SD card, but didn't work. I had to send it in and now the gimbal will be replaced.
Could you send me this file?

Hi everyone! Have the same issue as many and hope FW downgrading can help. Could somebody renew the 1.14 firmware link please.

Last edited:
Did you all check the Gimble support O-rings for sticking?
I'd got a new drone with 1.10 FW and it was OK to fly and record videos. Then I decided to upgrade via wi-fi. Update completed successfully. After rebooting the drone became useless because of gimbal issues. I tried 1.85, 1.82, 1.65 FWs but there were no changes so I hope one of the earliest FW could fix the problem.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo