Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

PPK surveys? (Emlid Studio + Pix4DMapper) What about the "omega, phi, kappa" orientations?

Reaction score
Hello how are you?
I have an Autel Evo 2 Pro drone, and I use it in PPK mode with my Topcon Hiper V GPS. I use Emlid Studio for PPK processing and Pix4Dmapper for photogrametry.

The question is: Why does Emlid Studio overwrite the information of the “omega, phi, kappa” orientations in the geoprocessed images?

If I import in Pix4dMapper the “raw or autonomous” images, the program shows me the coordinates and orientations of each photo. But when importing the photographs processed with emlid studio (fixed possitions), I only have the coordinates and I manually have to type the horizontal and vertical precision in 1cm in all images... but...

• What about the orientation parameters? Are they no longer necessary because their influence is already calculated in the process when using the mkr file?
  • What happens if I import the “omega, phi, kappa” parameters from the autonomous images and place them on the processed photographs? (this can be done very simply but manually, I actually created an excel spreadsheet that does it, but I’m not sure if it’s correct to do). Or maybe adding the orientations parameters i am introducing the same correction that the MRK file has inside and Emlid Studio had already done it to the fixed coordinates?
  • Pix4Dmapper has a setting in “calibration method” called “accurate geolocation and orientation” that is only available if I have those parameters. Is it correct to add these parameters and use this calibration method?
I will be reading them very carefully.
(sorry my english, i speak spanish and use the Google Translate)

Hello how are you?
I have an Autel Evo 2 Pro drone, and I use it in PPK mode with my Topcon Hiper V GPS. I use Emlid Studio for PPK processing and Pix4Dmapper for photogrametry.

The question is: Why does Emlid Studio overwrite the information of the “omega, phi, kappa” orientations in the geoprocessed images?

If I import in Pix4dMapper the “raw or autonomous” images, the program shows me the coordinates and orientations of each photo. But when importing the photographs processed with emlid studio (fixed possitions), I only have the coordinates and I manually have to type the horizontal and vertical precision in 1cm in all images... but...

• What about the orientation parameters? Are they no longer necessary because their influence is already calculated in the process when using the mkr file?
  • What happens if I import the “omega, phi, kappa” parameters from the autonomous images and place them on the processed photographs? (this can be done very simply but manually, I actually created an excel spreadsheet that does it, but I’m not sure if it’s correct to do). Or maybe adding the orientations parameters i am introducing the same correction that the MRK file has inside and Emlid Studio had already done it to the fixed coordinates?
  • Pix4Dmapper has a setting in “calibration method” called “accurate geolocation and orientation” that is only available if I have those parameters. Is it correct to add these parameters and use this calibration method?
I will be reading them very carefully.
(sorry my english, i speak spanish and use the Google Translate)
Emlid Studio is a work in progress and is not yet the best tool for PPK drone work. Pick up a copy of RedToolbox. It is more mature, and is designed for drone use.

ok thanks, i will try it.

but i want to know and understand

If I obtain the orientation parameters from the original images and "insert" them into the processed images... am I doing a good job or am I introducing some error or double correction to the process that was already done?

I don't know exactly how the parameters are used by processing software. But, I think that their use increases the ability of the software to properly determine the position of the camera when it took the image. And therefore, helps the software to arrive at a good camera calibration to apply to the image set.

The estimated accuracy in the image data is less important than the orientation parameters because in Metashape, which I use, you are able to assign a "weighting" figure for both images and control points for how precise the images are as well as how precise the control points. The estimated accuracy recorded in the image exif always seems to be a bit optimistic.

Reactions: EBERLS
I don't know exactly how the parameters are used by processing software. But, I think that their use increases the ability of the software to properly determine the position of the camera when it took the image. And therefore, helps the software to arrive at a good camera calibration to apply to the image set.

The estimated accuracy in the image data is less important than the orientation parameters because in Metashape, which I use, you are able to assign a "weighting" figure for both images and control points for how precise the images are as well as how precise the control points. The estimated accuracy recorded in the image exif always seems to be a bit optimistic.

Thank you.
I really appreciate your comment

Hello

I am the same person in the 2 forum, asking the same thing.

THANKS!

Reactions: EBERLS

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo