Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Firmware update - frustrating first experience!

Michael O

Reaction score
Greetings,
This is my first post on this forum. I'm a brand new Autel drone owner, coming from a long history with DJI drones. I'm having a very frustrating first experience. I received the Evo Lite + yesterday and today I have been trying to set it up. As expected, I got a notice for a firmware update when I first connected the Sky App. The current version on the drone appears to be v1.0.7). Each time I try to do the firmware update, I get a failure message. I was able to get through to tech support this morning and the woman I spoke to said it might be because of the app and that I should delete it and re-install it. I tried that twice with two different devices (iPhone and iPad). I still can't get the update to work. The screen says it's downloading, but the progress bar does not get past 0%. Then, after about a minute or two, I get a failure message.

To make matters worse, since this morning I have not been able to get through to the support line. I get to #1 in the queue, but then I get a message saying no one is available to talk to me, and the line goes dead. I've also tried giving a return number, but when I get a call back, it's the same message: No one is available to talk to you.

Finally, the website says there is a manual method to get the update - by downloading the file from the website onto the SD card. The problem is, there's NO file on the website to download!

This is extremely frustrating and is wasting an enormous amount of my time. I didn't expect this, and as a brand new Autel user, I'm quickly getting discouraged. I never had these kinds of problems with DJI.

Sorry to make my first post so negative, but I could use a bit of help? Is there something else I should be doing? Is there another way to access the firmware file for a manual download? Thanks!!
Mike

Greetings,
This is my first post on this forum. I'm a brand new Autel drone owner, coming from a long history with DJI drones. I'm having a very frustrating first experience. I received the Evo Lite + yesterday and today I have been trying to set it up. As expected, I got a notice for a firmware update when I first connected the Sky App. The current version on the drone appears to be v1.0.7). Each time I try to do the firmware update, I get a failure message. I was able to get through to tech support this morning and the woman I spoke to said it might be because of the app and that I should delete it and re-install it. I tried that twice with two different devices (iPhone and iPad). I still can't get the update to work. The screen says it's downloading, but the progress bar does not get past 0%. Then, after about a minute or two, I get a failure message.

To make matters worse, since this morning I have not been able to get through to the support line. I get to #1 in the queue, but then I get a message saying no one is available to talk to me, and the line goes dead. I've also tried giving a return number, but when I get a call back, it's the same message: No one is available to talk to you.

Finally, the website says there is a manual method to get the update - by downloading the file from the website onto the SD card. The problem is, there's NO file on the website to download!

This is extremely frustrating and is wasting an enormous amount of my time. I didn't expect this, and as a brand new Autel user, I'm quickly getting discouraged. I never had these kinds of problems with DJI.

Sorry to make my first post so negative, but I could use a bit of help? Is there something else I should be doing? Is there another way to access the firmware file for a manual download? Thanks!!
Mike
Check your PM. I sent you a message.

Well, after hours of frustration, the trick seems to be to turn WiFi off on your phone. Once I did that, essentially on data or cellular only, the update completed. I don’t know why that should have mattered (I never had to do that for DJI updates), but at least in my case that’s what was necessary to get the firmware updated. The update takes about 20 minutes to complete.

Well, after hours of frustration, the trick seems to be to turn WiFi off on your phone. Once I did that, essentially on data or cellular only, the update completed. I don’t know why that should have mattered (I never had to do that for DJI updates), but at least in my case that’s what was necessary to get the firmware updated. The update takes about 20 minutes to complete.
Weird! But good to know. Thanks

I will add to this thread cause I had a similar experience. Every issue I had with it from firmware updates, to calibration of everything, to loss of signal while in flight all seemed to be tied to having wi-fi turned on what ever device. Tripltek or Pixel 6 Pro.

Tuned off wi-fi and zero issues with any of those things.

Reactions: Wilkz and Bussty
Just ordered mine yesterday, Glad I found this post.
I think you’re going to like it, despite its quirks.
The photo and video quality are outstanding! Better than my Mavic 2 Pro.

For some reason, mine had me do the firmware update again. Same version. This time I put the controller and drone close to where my router and modem is, and I did the update over WiFi. Worked fine!

Had new firmware notice today. Just did mine. No issues updating but still Version 1.1.4. ??? Don't understand.

Had a notice of a whole bunch of new FPS options. Can now do 60 fps at 4k and several others. Jeez...can't remeber if that was already availible. Too late at night.

Anyhow still no "follow me" mode or similar as far as I can tell. Maybe I missed it?

Crickets from Autel. Not responding to support requests, not updating firmware just raising their prices.

I think you’re going to like it, despite its quirks.
The photo and video quality are outstanding! Better than my Mavic 2 Pro.

For some reason, mine had me do the firmware update again. Same version. This time I put the controller and drone close to where my router and modem is, and I did the update over WiFi. Worked fine!
I hope so. I bought the part 107 course on sale on Black Friday 2021. and was waiting to get a better drone before starting studying. I will get familiar with the Lite+ while studying for the license.

Have done the update 1.1.4 now for 5 times - with Wifi and without. Always with "success". And whenever I start the drone again, I get another update alert. Next time I'll charge Autel for the time wasted ...

If Microsoft would have done Windows updates the same way, I'd still have to work on Windows 3.0 and DOS 5.0

After a successful update, format your SD card. Autel is notorious for this repetitive alert to update even after a successful update. Formatting the SD card usually takes care of the continuous update alerts. Adios!

Reactions: 30plusretlaw
i have the same issue, brand new lite plus straight from the box, trying update to 1.1.4, keeps falling, i tried with iPhone both cellular, WIFI, also with android the problem appears after the data is downloaded and start transferring it to the drone.
Is there any place i can download it from and install manually from the SD card? as this is the only solution i see... i spent two days, no luck.... very very frustrating experience...

I will add to this thread cause I had a similar experience. Every issue I had with it from firmware updates, to calibration of everything, to loss of signal while in flight all seemed to be tied to having wi-fi turned on what ever device. Tripltek or Pixel 6 Pro.

Tuned off wi-fi and zero issues with any of those things.
Also put the phone in airplane mode TRUST ME. I had I had a scare over the ocean and at 60 y/o almost cried like a little girl when I thought I lost a brand new drone. Thank to the guys here I was able to have my questions answered. Can’t say that of Autel CS.

I'll share a similar but slightly different experience. So like OP, new to autel drones... already was confused enough with the various webpages to buy the drone from that 'seem' official... that aside, I get in the drone yesterday, and of course always update firmware... yesterday did by the controller app software way... it took 2 attempts but was done. Not ideal, but I guess it happens. Then was watching videos and found that you have to update PER battery? ... anyhow.. so today I pull the drone back out, and run each battery through... first one.. battery version 0.0.21.0 ... second battery version 0.0.21.0. .. third batter 0.0.19.0 .... ah... so a problem... . (I didnt have them labeled on day one, so don't know which I used for initial update). Anyhow... 0.0.19.0 seemed like the odd-ball out. But application wasn't offering any update... So fine... I google search "autel firmware download" and it takes me to AutelDrone page ... the dates seemed somewhat old, but looking around the page it... seemed ... legit.. downloaded the v2 file, stuck it on the card.... started the process and then in the middle the gimble went haywire for 15-20 seconds? ( video I did while it was doing it). Then after that... every time I turned on the drone it would do that and then report gimble failure. And the controller would not connect to the application on the phone. So i searched more.. and found this forum and some posts and also AutelRobotics with other firmware. That had a matrix with versions of every sub-part (which all matched what my drone had reported before, save the battery version) ... and so I packed that up and put it on the card and did another firmware cycle. It seems to be back to operating normally.... but of course... the battery version is 0.0.19.0 (not 0.0.21.0). So my confusion level is still somewhat high as I have 2 batteries with 0.0.21.0...... .and I've seen screen shots of controllers showing check marks and x marks on firmware updates... I've never gotten that on any firmware process.... only the "complete, reboot RC and aircraft before flight" message. Anyhow.. maybe it won't be pouring down raining tomorrow like every day this week and actually see if it flies.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain