Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO Return to home speed against the wind is very slow...

Although I agree with many that pilot beware (know your wind speed and direction and fly accordingly). I will say though that with my DJI Spark the RTH speed is also 22mph, but it allows you to press up on the throttle to come back in sport mode 29 mph speed (think RTH turns off OA automatically). I would like to see my EVO do the same and turn off OA and allow me to throttle up (at least to the 34mph top standard speed) for some additional power and speed.

Although I agree with many that pilot beware (know your wind speed and direction and fly accordingly). I will say though that with my DJI Spark the RTH speed is also 22mph, but it allows you to press up on the throttle to come back in sport mode 29 mph speed (think RTH turns off OA automatically). I would like to see my EVO do the same and turn off OA and allow me to throttle up (at least to the 34mph top standard speed) for some additional power and speed.
Isn’t that what happens if you cancel RTH and hit the right hand stick?

I have learned not to use RTH ever. To me it's a safety issue like an airbag. That way I am always in control of my bird and if I lose it, it's no one else's fault, but my own. I fly in 20+ mph winds all the time and I know I have to be on top of my game at all times if I want my drones back.

To my knowledge, OA remains on when it's in RTH. It's a safety issue so it doesn't crash. Unless you turn off OA, the Evo also flys with them on while on RTH.

Skip to 2:46 on the video below.

Here is the Spark's video where it also indicates the same.
Spark

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightbat2
To my knowledge, OA remains on when it's in RTH. It's a safety issue so it doesn't crash. Unless you turn off OA, the Evo also flys with them on while on RTH.

Skip to 2:46 on the video below.

Here is the Spark's video where it also indicates the same.
Spark
Yep, that’s what the manual says.

Reactions: Ansia
I have learned not to use RTH ever. To me it's a safety issue like an airbag. That way I am always in control of my bird and if I lose it, it's no one else's fault, but my own. I fly in 20+ mph winds all the time and I know I have to be on top of my game at all times if I want my drones back.
i’ve Used RTH once only, and that was on a Phantom 4 Pro+ during my training. The instructor didn’t think RTH would work in ATTI mode but I showed him that it would. That’s because, like many drones, the Phantom records its take-off point and can return to it providing there are enough satellites locked on (this is an entirely different matter to the RC losing GPS lock).

Reactions: Ansia
Isn’t that what happens if you cancel RTH and hit the right hand stick?
Sort of, but not exactly - I like the auto return and the straight line to the homepoint with RTH, but sure you can cancel - but with EVO would still need to go into the menu and shut off OA and change spped to either 34 or go ludachris. As I said, would be nice to have Autel shut off OA on RTH and allow you to throttle up to 34 mph just using the control stick. Maybe I'm wrong, haven't actually tried cancelling yet.

Sort of, but not exactly - I like the auto return and the straight line to the homepoint with RTH, but sure you can cancel - but with EVO would still need to go into the menu and shut off OA and change spped to either 34 or go ludachris. As I said, would be nice to have Autel shut off OA on RTH and allow you to throttle up to 34 mph just using the control stick. Maybe I'm wrong, haven't actually tried cancelling yet.
If you were flying with the speed set at a max of 34mph, after RTH cancellation, you will have to go back into speed settings and reset 34mph, as it resets to the default of maximum of 22mph after RTH. Go figure! Same is true after any signal loss! When you recover signal, after flying at long range and losing signal, you have to manually reset your video transmission back to 5, as the signal loss resets it from 5 to 20, and you will not recover FPV until less than 1 mile away! Autel, can't you figure out how to RETAIN user settings after signal loss???

You are indeed correct. I had a Mavic Pro Platinum before I had the Evo and they both handle RTH in the same way: Standard Speed. The Phantom and Mavic 2 series hace a standard speed in excess of 30 MPH. Consequently, they have a higher RTH speed.
First i do totally understand that you should fly out against the wind and fly home with the wind. But what I don't accept that EVO cant handle a 15 mph head wind in RTH mode, without shutting off someone sensors in-order to get a faster speed.

If you were flying with the speed set at a max of 34mph, after RTH cancellation, you will have to go back into speed settings and reset 34mph, as it resets to the default of maximum of 22mph after RTH. Go figure! Same is true after any signal loss! When you recover signal, after flying at long range and losing signal, you have to manually reset your video transmission back to 5, as the signal loss resets it from 5 to 20, and you will not recover FPV until less than 1 mile away! Autel, can't you figure out how to RETAIN user settings after signal loss???
First i do totally understand that you should fly out against the wind and fly home with the wind. But what I don't accept that EVO cant handle a 15 mph head wind in RTH mode, without shutting off someone sensors in-order to get a faster speed.

Also I have suggested to AUTEL, that a firmer propellers I feel would help with this issue but Im just customer, trying to make a good thing better.

Lots of EVO programming decisions defy logic. This is just one of many.
Autel's response is that they are working as they intended them to, and they have no intention of changing them. :rolleyes:

Lots of EVO programming decisions defy logic. This is just one of many.
Autel's response is that they are working as they intended them to, and they have no intention of changing them. :rolleyes:
I have no complaints about the Evo. Sure, there should be improvements and hopefully they will come. If anyone thinks the Evo isn’t good value for money, check out the Phantom and Mavic forums, which will make you realise the perfect drone isn’t here yet :)

It CAN handle a RTH in 15mph headwind without shutting anything off, albeit slowly. As pilots, it’s up to us to decide whether or not to fly in the conditions.

I have no complaints about the Evo. Sure, there should be improvements and hopefully they will come. If anyone thinks the Evo isn’t good value for money, check out the Phantom and Mavic forums, which will make you realise the perfect drone isn’t here yet :)
My point is that Autel has made some boneheaded programming decisions, and is not open to changing them. Resetting all user settings to factory defaults at every battery change is just one example, requiring wasting 2 minutes of battery life setting them back. Resetting all user settings including max speed and video bandwidth transmission setting to factory defaults upon signal loss is yet another example. Not displaying the numeric remaining battery percentage in the Explorer app is another. Working as designed is their only response.

My point is that Autel has made some boneheaded programming decisions, and is not open to changing them. Resetting all user settings to factory defaults at every battery change is just one example, requiring wasting 2 minutes of battery life setting them back. Resetting all user settings including max speed and video bandwidth transmission setting to factory defaults upon signal loss is yet another example. Not displaying the numeric remaining battery percentage in the Explorer app is another. Working as designed is their only response.
I used to work for a US company that provided hardware/software solutions to a large though niche market. We had a ‘roadmap’ and listened to all sensible input, though we didn’t always telegraph what was coming up next. I have a feeling that Autel is much the same. Certainly whenever I have suggested something to them I’ve got the impression it would be at least put on a list for consideration.

I used to work for a US company that provided hardware/software solutions to a large though niche market. We had a ‘roadmap’ and listened to all sensible input, though we didn’t always telegraph what was coming up next. I have a feeling that Autel is much the same. Certainly whenever I have suggested something to them I’ve got the impression it would be at least put on a list for consideration.
That makes way too much sense. I have been told very clearly that they have no intention of changing any of these "features" because they do not consider them bugs, but "working as designed." Go figure!

That makes way too much sense. I have been told very clearly that they have no intention of changing any of these "features" because they do not consider them bugs, but "working as designed." Go figure!
Changing something that seems easy to the average user sometimes involves a major “rewrite”. I’m happy—having spent a relatively small sum of money—to see how things progress. Even if nothing changes, I have a drone that flies well and which, with a little patience, can do everything I want it to do. The alternatives have their downsides, too—and some of them cost a lot more.

So why don’t you start a drone company and fix it? This entitled stuff is not constructive. Comparison and bashing is like Ford vs Chevy. Both companies make good products that serve the market and work as expected.
You want a fantasy drone? Go build it. There is a reason we buy developed products because no one has the time or money to stay on the curve. How about a little gratitude that we can even talk to their engineers. Try that with Yuneec, Parrot, or DJI. Learn to accept your parameters and pilot accordingly. My guess is it’s more about already flying outside of the guidelines hence the desire to make up for pilot arrogance and then blame the developers because they should do more to make it “better” for those who go out of VLOS and think RTH is SOP when it’s really a fail safe for you losing track of your bird.

Don't talk about Stephanie that way. She is perfect!

(Don't worry baby, he didn't mean it)

Perhaps it was the way it was said? I am not Autel's biggest fan. Specially with the warranty issues I had, but they have always told me "I would take your suggestion to the developers". If they use the paper to clean where the sun don't shine later, that's on them, but I will never find out.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles