Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO Return to home speed against the wind is very slow...

Tank64

Reaction score
Im wondering is anyone els having problem of there EVO in slightly high head wind speed 14mph or higher, when placed in RTH mode the EVO crawls at 4 to 6 mph, then in order to get it home you have switch to ludicrous mode? If any has had this problem and or fixed it please let me know.

Im wondering is anyone els having problem of there EVO in slightly high head wind speed 14mph or higher, when placed in RTH mode the EVO crawls at 4 to 6 mph, then in order to get it home you have switch to ludicrous mode? If any has had this problem and or fixed it please let me know.
I believe that the Evo’s RTH speed is 22mph, so that would be about right.

Reactions: WayneH
I recently flew in winds exceeding 22mph and experienced the crawl coming back to my start position upwind. I was filming Pelicans flying with the wind so when I shot them, I had a tailwind and it was like I had ludicrous mode when going with the birds. I did contemplate switching to ludicrous to compensate but ended up stopping and went to hand capture with my action camera for b roll shots .

My RTH experience was fine because I located myself downwind when I hit the RTH. It’s not the Evos fault that there are times that wind is greater then 22mph. Given that we never ever would attempt above 15mph when camera drones first appeared, having a 22mph top speed for precision mode is acceptable and keeps you safe in my opinion.

Reactions: Tank64
Yes I know about flying with and against the wind, but i was expected it would handle 15mph but now i see I'm wrong. Handling high winds means stable video not power to over come it. Back to my rule don't fly in winds 15+...Thanks for your reply, Im thinking DJI Mavic.

Ok. I think you are righting it off prematurely as I’ve done nothing but fly in over 15 mph winds and have no video problems. Did you get some shake or jello during that flight?

Ok. I think you are righting it off prematurely as I’ve done nothing but fly in over 15 mph winds and have no video problems. Did you get some shake or jello during that flight?

Im not haveing video shake or jello problems. Im talking about speed when RTH mode is to slow.

Disable avoidence and select a higher speed.
That is what i have been doing, but i was thinking if in standard speed with RTH enabled in a head wind it should go a lot faster it seems like a software fix could solve this problem? The wind is only 15 MPH. I also feel that stiffer propellers would be more effective.

Last edited:
22mph is the standard speed, but when I'm in a 15 head wind in RTH mode im not getting no where near 22mph....
Could be wrong, but I believe that the Evo’s RTH speed is calculated on zero headwind. In that case, if you had a headwind of 15mph your speed over the ground, heading into it, would be around 7mph. I am not aware of any consumer drone that automatically ups the power to account for prevailing winds.

With this in mind you could be right. The next time Im out on a windy day I will compare with my Mavic. And put my results in this fourm.

This happened to me as well. Winds were between 14-16 mph and was crawling back at like 5 to 7 mph when I hit RTH, I was a nice distance out I got worried with battery life and distance so I quickly changed to Luda and it came back. It should RTH back with no issue in 16 mph winds. I think a software fix should be put out for this or the controller should warn you when in RTH might come back might not ?

This happened to me as well. Winds were between 14-16 mph and was crawling back at like 5 to 7 mph when I hit RTH, I was a nice distance out I got worried with battery life and distance so I quickly changed to Luda and it came back. It should RTH back with no issue in 16 mph winds. I think a software fix should be put out for this or the controller should warn you when in RTH might come back might not ?
It will come back in 14-16mph headwinds, but if you use the RTH function, the set speed is 22mph. Take away 14 or 16mph and it physically cannot travel any faster in RTH mode. Using Ludicrous obviously gives it the extra oomph, providing you’ve left yourself enough power.

So the drone should do the math not you? Sorry but it’s why I carry an anemometer in my Evo bag. It’s called piloting and by the rules, it’s your responsibility not the manufacturer through software. They have given you the tools you need but ultimately the decision to fly in high wind is on you.
Your proposed fix would be a drone that that recognizes higher winds and then is constantly changing its RTH initiate point with changing wind speed? Good luck finding that flight system at our price point. If wishes were horses...

Reactions: Nightbat2
Could be wrong, but I believe that the Evo’s RTH speed is calculated on zero headwind. In that case, if you had a headwind of 15mph your speed over the ground, heading into it, would be around 7mph. I am not aware of any consumer drone that automatically ups the power to account for prevailing winds.
You are indeed correct. I had a Mavic Pro Platinum before I had the Evo and they both handle RTH in the same way: Standard Speed. The Phantom and Mavic 2 series hace a standard speed in excess of 30 MPH. Consequently, they have a higher RTH speed.

Reactions: Nightbat2
Yes, I have experienced this with BOTH my Evo and my Parrot Anafi. It can be a bit scary/nerve-wracking the first time if you cut it close on battery power. That said, my friend with a Mavic 2 Pro said he had the same issue one time flying downwind and returning upwind... the quad crawled back and he panicked a bit. Now, I am just more cautious.

Yes, I have experienced this with BOTH my Evo and my Parrot Anafi. It can be a bit scary/nerve-wracking the first time if you cut it close on battery power. That said, my friend with a Mavic 2 Pro said he had the same issue one time flying downwind and returning upwind... the quad crawled back and he panicked a bit. Now, I am just more cautious.
If you are flying into a 14 mph wind and your drone's speed, regardless of brand, is 22 mph, the net advance speed will be approximately 8 mph. Is simple physics. Also, 14 mph wind on the ground may be 18, 20 or higher at an altitude of 100 feet.

One of the scariest lessons I learned was flying in high winds. I do not, will not fly in winds above 15 mph. You don't know what the gusts might be at 100' high. It is not worth it because the winds will win... Fly smart!..

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials