Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO 2's (I have 2) seem to only go 45mph only when there is a tail wind. Flying against the wind, slows them considerably.

quinn karter

Reaction score
I own 2 EVO2 V1s (6k and 8k). If the wind speeds are over 7mph and I fly against it, my drones slow to about 20mph in ludicrous mode. Of course, when flying with the wind, they go 45 mph. Under the same conditions, my DJI mav Air 2 will fly at 33mph against the wind and fly at it's max speed of 43mph with the wind. Overall, the Mav Air 2 is faster and seems less affected by winds than my EVO2's. Has anyone noticed there EVO2 series drone's slowing considerable when flyinng against winds 5mph or higher? Sometimes, my evo slows to 18mph against 7-10mph winds. Is this normal?? They both do it. But the smaller DJI M2Air's speed isn't nearly as affected.

Reactions: robertmarcos
I own 2 EVO2 V1s (6k and 8k). If the wind speeds are over 7mph and I fly against it, my drones slow to about 20mph in ludicrous mode. Of course, when flying with the wind, they go 45 mph. Under the same conditions, my DJI mav Air 2 will fly at 33mph against the wind and fly at it's max speed of 43mph with the wind. Overall, the Mav Air 2 is faster and seems less affected by winds than my EVO2's. Has anyone noticed there EVO2 series drone's slowing considerable when flyinng against winds 5mph or higher? Sometimes, my evo slows to 18mph against 7-10mph winds. Is this normal?? They both do it. But the smaller DJI M2Air's speed isn't nearly as affected.

Mine does the same thing, I think its just a heavier drone and tuned a bit to be more controlled in the wind. It is definitely more affected speed wise in the wind than my DJI P4P, but what I find interesting is that the EVO 2 6K's footage is more stable in the wind and when flying in Ludicrous mode especially cross winds. Possibly the EVO's props simply spin slower to increase stability even in windy conditions which would improve stability while affecting overall speed performance.

I know for me personally I would rather more stability in the wind than speed. I will say as well though, when there is absolutely no wind my EVO 2 6K V1 definitely will go 45MPH. It seems to take a long time to get there but at WOT it has slightly topped 45MPH without a tailwind.

Try turning off obstacle avoidance next time flying against headwind, let us know if this helps.

i remember having a slowdown Issue on a previous firmware update last year, can‘t remember which one it was but since with latest firmware no issues.

Definitely turn off obstacle avoidance next time, see it this helps

Last edited:
I'll have to check again but recently I think I've noticed my evo2 being slower than normal and having a tougher time fighting the wind. no change with the evo2 or the props, I remember last year even on a windy day, the evo2 fought like a champ. I have no issues. today, when it's windy, not only does it struggle a bit, but also I can hear it pretty buzzing clearly....very noticeable fighting. been flying missions regularly so the speed I tell it...it goes, regardless. but I *think* I might notice some pushback. it's almost as if the drone is getting "older" or tired. haven't flown my other drones (dji) in quite awhile.

I'll have to check again but recently I think I've noticed my evo2 being slower than normal and having a tougher time fighting the wind. no change with the evo2 or the props, I remember last year even on a windy day, the evo2 fought like a champ. I have no issues. today, when it's windy, not only does it struggle a bit, but also I can hear it pretty buzzing clearly....very noticeable fighting. been flying missions regularly so the speed I tell it...it goes, regardless. but I *think* I might notice some pushback. it's almost as if the drone is getting "older" or tired. haven't flown my other drones (dji) in quite awhile.
Have you performed any firmware updates? I haven't done any beyond the one I performed when I got the drone.

I've had those same thoughts myself. I don't remember it being as slow as it is now against headwinds.
I had to have a couple of drones replaced, due to the battery draw heating up the connector pins so much, it caused them to fuse and the drone to crash. Maybe they had to slow the electronic speed controller and thus the current from battery to motors to prevent overheating the pins or some other type of excessive current issue.

Try turning off obstacle avoidance next time flying against headwind, let us know if this helps.

i remember having a slowdown Issue on a previous firmware update last year, can‘t remember which one it was but since with latest firmware no issues.

Definitely turn off obstacle avoidance next time, see it this helps

I've had those same thoughts myself. I don't remember it being as slow as it is now against headwinds.
I had to have a couple of drones replaced, due to the battery draw heating up the connector pins so much, it caused them to fuse and the drone to crash. Maybe they had to slow the electronic speed controller and thus the current from battery to motors to prevent overheating the pins or some other type of excessive current issue.
you have had 2 drones with overheated/fused battery connectors?
Has anyone else had this issue? Very concerning

Yea I’m pretty new here I had this problem as well but I do have to update to the latest firmware which is v2. 7.30 I think but I love my drone I have an air 2 s that I never even got to fly yet been so busy .. cheers for all the info guy .. take care 🇮🇪

If the wind speeds are over 7mph and I fly against it, my drones slow to about 20mph in ludicrous mode.
Sometimes, my evo slows to 18mph against 7-10mph winds.

How are you gauging wind speed at altitude? If you upload your flight logs to Airdata, you can check it there.

But the smaller DJI M2Air's speed isn't nearly as affected.

Do you have someone else that can fly your M2A in these conditions while you fly one of your E2Ps? Alternatively, if you were comfortable with it, you could setup waypoint missions for both.

For ones that experience this issue:
1. Be sure you have not altered the settings in that response curve for Flight Control: EXP.
2. Be sure you have not altered the settings for Sensitivity at Flight Control.
If you did, just put it back, than reselect Ludacriss mode and max speed.
I have made the same and the speed was visible increased, as initially my sensitivity was set to 60% and FWD Exp was set at 0.2.

Cheers.

For ones that experience this issue:
1. Be sure you have not altered the settings in that response curve for Flight Control: EXP.
2. Be sure you have not altered the settings for Sensitivity at Flight Control.
If you did, just put it back, than reselect Ludacriss mode and max speed.
I have made the same and the speed was visible increased, as initially my sensitivity was set to 60% and FWD Exp was set at 0.2.

Cheers.
OK.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juan.t