Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo II Floats

Bluesti, I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious how your floats have worked since, and if you have made any mods like extensions, sleeves, etc. I'm looking at either the EPS foam balls or the large sized "ball pit" balls with super-glued sleeves inserted into them. This will depend on the total weight of each ball compared to the other type. I'm also thinking of some kind of rubber band to keep each ball pulled tight up to the arm.

Bluesti, I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious how your floats have worked since, and if you have made any mods like extensions, sleeves, etc. I'm looking at either the EPS foam balls or the large sized "ball pit" balls with super-glued sleeves inserted into them. This will depend on the total weight of each ball compared to the other type. I'm also thinking of some kind of rubber band to keep each ball pulled tight up to the arm.
Yes, I added some high pressure tubing because retic pipe was to thin. As the drone legs are different length and shape I had to cut them individually. I cut a hole in the middle of each ball, all the way to the centre and then used strong glue to secure them in place.
Once the glue was set, I crushed the tubing with some pliers to match the shape of each leg.
After measuring the correct length, I slide the completed float as far as possible, taking care to support the drone arm. Once in place I twist it to lock in in place and certainly, a rubber band to keep it in place is a good back up securing idea.

Fly's perfectly well and touch wood its not crashed into the Indian Ocean, so far.

Yes, I added some high pressure tubing because retic pipe was to thin. As the drone legs are different length and shape I had to cut them individually. I cut a hole in the middle of each ball, all the way to the centre and then used strong glue to secure them in place.
Once the glue was set, I crushed the tubing with some pliers to match the shape of each leg.
After measuring the correct length, I slide the completed float as far as possible, taking care to support the drone arm. Once in place I twist it to lock in in place and certainly, a rubber band to keep it in place is a good back up securing idea.

Fly's perfectly well and touch wood its not crashed into the Indian Ocean, so far.
Fantastic, thanks for sharing your experience!

Available from most swim type shops, used for learning to swim... cut to length, punch holes and push in place, I have leg extensions anyway made from 12mm plastic tube, heated and pushed over original leg. Didnt have need to glue floats in place as foam grabs the legs well enough stay in place. ta

Attachments

• 20200222_212820.jpg
    20200222_212820.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20200222_212842.jpg
    20200222_212842.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20200222_213017.jpg
    20200222_213017.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
Available from most swim type shops, used for learning to swim... cut to length, punch holes and push in place, I have leg extensions anyway made from 12mm plastic tube, heated and pushed over original leg. Didnt have need to glue floats in place as foam grabs the legs well enough stay in place. ta
I did see this in prior posts as well...curious how much more it has to fight winds than the ball type, which I presume would be slightly more aerodynamic. I’m also looking to save every gram in weight I can. I will be doing the leg extensions as well.
Thanks

Hi, I think you are over thinking it to be honest, I wouldn't fly a normal mission with them fitted, only over water obviously where I thought there may be a chance of disaster and being able to retrieve it... if you cant retrieve it then not worth thinking about... the difference between a ball and these must be minimal, a few grams, they are really light and I've never really noticed any difference flying, yes a gust of strong wind will obviously catch them but that's just common sense... a strobe light weighs more... after about three try outs, landing on a small lake that was enough, they work, never bothered after that, never needed them... Cheers

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg