Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo II Floats

bluesti

Reaction score
As I fly over the ocean quite a lot, I wanted to reduce the risk of totally loosing my drone altogether. So, I purchased 4 polystyrene balls roughly 70mm diameter, cut a hole in each of them to suit each leg, to a width and depth that would keep the balls tight and to keep the drone roughly level when taking off.

Have taken off, flown around and landed ok, but haven't tried over water yet. Will keep you posted

Attachments

• evo2poly1.jpg
    evo2poly1.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 37
As I fly over the ocean quite a lot, I wanted to reduce the risk of totally loosing my drone altogether. So, I purchased 4 polystyrene balls roughly 70mm diameter, cut a hole in each of them to suit each leg, to a width and depth that would keep the balls tight and to keep the drone roughly level when taking off.

Have taken off, flown around and landed ok, but haven't tried over water yet. Will keep you posted
You’re braver than I am!

Reactions: Technageek
Very nice. I'd be cautious in water because of the negative friction when you go to take off. It will try to hold it down. I've seen if you take off slow it works best from water. Would hate to see it flip real quick like a couple vids i've seen.

Very nice. I'd be cautious in water because of the negative friction when you go to take off. It will try to hold it down. I've seen if you take off slow it works best from water. Would hate to see it flip real quick like a couple vids i've seen.
I hadn't considered the take off. It was purely a "if I have a dramatic failure““ the poly balls would save it from drowning.

One of the balls flew off just after take off, so I need to find a way to secure them, but not permanently.

Reactions: Tufargon
I have seen one or two posts regarding home made extension legs and I'm wondering how I can attach (without it blowing) the poly pipe which another pilot has used to the polystyrene balls which will obviously float.

Any ideas???

Bluesti, you can tie polystyrene balls to the arms with a string so they don't fall off.
You can cut a slot in a ball and attach laminate sheet inside with special glue for polystyrene.
I did it for DYI project and it worked well:
1595079949380.png

1595080150416.png

Be careful, from your photo it seems to my eye that the camera will be submerged or very wet in the best case. So it would be good solution for emergency situation not regular landing in the water.
From the other side is you make the landing gear higher (floating balls further from weight center) then the risk of flip in the water will be higher, too.

Adding anything to any UAV to try and make it float is not a very good idea. Many of us have tried and most times it was a big failure. The added drag to the UAV is just one of the problems. If its windy out you might as well forget about flying. Keeping the floats on the legs is another problem. I have seen one of mine come back with one missing. As for floating in water it is hit or miss. If its miss your out a lot of money. One of the best inventions is the GetterBack for drones. They work great. Yes you drone will be on the bottom but at least you can still retrieve it for hopefully repair.

Bluesti, you can tie polystyrene balls to the arms with a string so they don't fall off.
You can cut a slot in a ball and attach laminate sheet inside with special glue for polystyrene.
I did it for DYI project and it worked well:
View attachment 7856

View attachment 7857

Be careful, from your photo it seems to my eye that the camera will be submerged or very wet in the best case. So it would be good solution for emergency situation not regular landing in the water.
From the other side is you make the landing gear higher (floating balls further from weight center) then the risk of flip in the water will be higher, too.
Yes, well spotted. As I mentioned I don't intend to be landing and taking off in water, it's really to stop it sinking. Maybe I'll investigate some plastic sleeves which I can be glue into the ball and slide onto the landing gear leg, maybe poly pipe. John

Adding anything to any UAV to try and make it float is not a very good idea. Many of us have tried and most times it was a big failure. The added drag to the UAV is just one of the problems. If its windy out you might as well forget about flying. Keeping the floats on the legs is another problem. I have seen one of mine come back with one missing. As for floating in water it is hit or miss. If its miss your out a lot of money. One of the best inventions is the GetterBack for drones. They work great. Yes you drone will be on the bottom but at least you can still retrieve it for hopefully repair.

Thank you for the info Agustine. Yes one of my floats blew off today. So maybe I'll look at gluing some pipe into the core of the ball and sliding pipe over the legs. The ocean here is always rough, if drone goes to bottom, even Superman won't get it. John

Adding anything to any UAV to try and make it float is not a very good idea.
Fully agreed for RTF drones - simply not designed for such purpose. However DYI project has more chance to work, but it is completely different story...
1595148450887.png

wow, was it coming into land or taking off??? John
Yep, that is correct, not only floating but also swimming quite well. And filming under water, too.
1595168705950.png
But it's way too big to take for vacation so finally Mavic or Evo must risk their lives :p

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller