Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO 1 Old Age Problems?

fly186

Reaction score
Purchased my Evo 1 back in late 2018. Never crashed it or had any real issues with the drone until just last week when I dusted her off and wanted to fly again.
It's been almost 10 months since the last flight so obviously charged up the batteries and controller.
Took off and almost immediately got a low battery alarm warning even though batteries were at 98% charged. Drone tried to return home in about 1 minute with a low battery alarm at 88% but I cancelled that. Kept it flying nearby and watched as the battery level dropped like a rock - in less than 5 minutes it was at 10% power.
Flew with the 2nd battery and had the same experience.
Also saw a message I've never seen on the controller - "Unknown Aircraft Safety Status"
I charged both batteries again and had the same issues - no difference.
When I watch the aircraft battery page on the Evo app I can see that the middle battery is always about .3V below the level of the first and last batteries.
A quick search on the forum and on Youtube leads me to believe these batteries are shot after about my 40 flights. Not too happy about that!

In addition, I am no longer able to see the Google map view on the Android app. I did get a new phone recently so that may have something to do with the map issue.
BTW - software is up to date on aircraft, controller, and Evo app.

Any advice / feedback is appreciated.

I would suggest the batteries are toast. LiPos do not react well to long periods of inactivity, even if at storage voltages. I've also never encountered that specific controller message... perhaps other members will be able to chime in with more info on that.

You will find that charging up and taking a fly to put the batteries through a cycle on a monthly basis will extend their life. Also... do not use "refurbished" batteries, if you have new battery options available.

As far as "old age"... well once a model is officially discontinued, both maintenance parts such as batteries, as well as repair parts will be limited to stock on hand. Unfortunately 3½ human years is something like 75 drone years. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: jcommstudios
Purchased my Evo 1 back in late 2018. Never crashed it or had any real issues with the drone until just last week when I dusted her off and wanted to fly again.
It's been almost 10 months since the last flight so obviously charged up the batteries and controller.
Took off and almost immediately got a low battery alarm warning even though batteries were at 98% charged. Drone tried to return home in about 1 minute with a low battery alarm at 88% but I cancelled that. Kept it flying nearby and watched as the battery level dropped like a rock - in less than 5 minutes it was at 10% power.
Also saw a message I've never seen on the controller - "Unknown Aircraft Safety Status"
When I watch the aircraft battery page on the Evo app I can see that the middle battery is always about .3V below the level of the first and last batteries.
A quick search on the forum and on Youtube leads me to believe these batteries are shot after about my 40 flights. Not too happy about that!

In addition, I am no longer able to see the Google map view on the Android app. I did get a new phone recently so that may have something to do with the map issue.

@fly186 10 months sitting and the EVO batteries are toast without using them. Better pick some up if you plan to fly. Autel is notorious for abandoning past products which they've done with the X-Star and now EVO 1. Make sure you buy new ... B&H has some in stock for $91. Best Buy still has some for $98 - I just bought 3 and have 5 total. When they are done it's all over. lol. I've been shooting with an H Plus lately and I don't fly the EVO much but I make sure to fly it once a month to work the batteries and keep it in the car for a backup. I've had the EVO since 2018 as well.
It's still a great flying camera and a great choice when you want to shoot with the smallest gear you can use.

Thanks for the replies folks. Looks like I'll need to pick up at least one new battery.
I also tried to update the Autel Explorer app on my new Note 10 this morning and the app would not install. I wish there was a way to go back to the older version that apparently did not have as many issues!

Thanks for the replies folks. Looks like I'll need to pick up at least one new battery.
I also tried to update the Autel Explorer app on my new Note 10 this morning and the app would not install. I wish there was a way to go back to the older version that apparently did not have as many issues!

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Photo

I will say that Google changed their Maps API and the older versions of the Autel Explorer app wont connect to Google Maps. I had this happen to me, and the only cure was to update to the latest Explorer.

I'll sell you 2 brand new in the box batteries for $95 if you're in the USA

My 4 batteries all died after 30 plus flights on them. I was able to get some more on sale but if I were going to be flying more I would definitely switch to DJI's Air 2. Better all the way around. Autel has seen my last dollar.

Check out the thread started by Daniel Tao All my Evo 1 battery reported damage.
There may be some hope for these aging batteries looming in the future. I'm not giving up yet.
I hope there is a solution soon for my xstar, down to one battery out of 4, 3 are dead. Now my concern is the evo1, no support bother me, limited parts as well. DJI support all of their drones, even down to the phantom 1. You can still get help and parts for it.

Has anyone been able to make an adapter to allow regular RC lips to be used with the EVO?

This isn't just a simple matter of physically making batteries fit. Designing something like you imagine would require the integration of a battery management system (BMS) that is compatible with the Evo so that it reports the health of each cell in the battery pack. Currently, if one cell's charge is out of tolerance with the other cells, the Evo thinks the entire pack's voltage is low and will land the bird whether you like it or not. Old school drones would simply try to fly until the juice was literally gone regardless of the voltage. So that is something the BMS does. It also supposedly manages the charging and balances the cells inside the pack while charging.
This also would be a problem to try to make the form factor fit on the Evo.
The better approach is to replace bad cells in the existing battery case. This has been done and is one of the ongoing discussions in these forums.

I've purchased 3 new evo one batteries within 6 months and 3 within the first year all but 1 still works. They have all been well taken care of and rotated so I'm not using the same battery over and over. Just purchased my first DJI Air 2s and couldn't be happier. Done with Autel drones

Much has written on the subject by many that have experienced exactly what you have. In short, many of the batteries are junk and die prematurely with few charge cycles on them. Some say you abused or did not store them correctly. The only reason why I'm still flying is because I had the good fortune to have bought extra batteries. I just got rid of three bad batteries. I have 7 left and are all doing okay after storing them for the winter. Best Buy still have them advertised for 99 dollars and can be had other places for as low as 79. What I would do is buy new batteries. My battery issues began with firmware updates. I do not update or check anything anymore if it is even available to do and have not had any other issues. Get a battery and fly. Don't expect to much in the way of a long life for the drone, it will become a dust collector when the battery supply dries up. Many of us will be stuck with perfectly decent drones with no Autel Support. Many here have already considered this and the Evo 1 a dead issue. Finished.

Within the last couple months I have have good luck with reviving my older non-working EVO batteries. All three of them would not fly as the EVO refused to even start up because it said the batteries were DAMAGED. I still firmly believe that the batteries are NOT damaged but EVO thinks so because Autel has programmed into the firmware a very tight tolerance of analyzing individual cells and if they are more than .05 percent out of tolerance from each other then EVO refuses to use them. All my other aircraft have used batteries much farther out of balance than this just fine. I feel the .05 percent is just way to tight and if the firmware could be hacked and adjusted for a wider range of tolerance then many more batteries would be accepted.

Here's the procedure that has helped me revive my batteries. I have only a single gang charger so I charge one at a time. Put the battery on the charger and charge until full and all the lights go off. Then while still connected to the charger press and hold the battery button until all the lights come on and leave it connected. The last light may possibly blink and sometimes it may not. This part of the charge may last for only a few minutes to around 10 or 15 minutes and seems to help balance charge all the cells. At least it has gotten my battery cells much closer in balance so that my EVO will fly with them. I don't get a full 25 minutes of flight but more like around 15 minutes. It's possible if I were to fly these batteries more and more and do the balance charge procedure each time that they may revive even further. I don't do anything that is even slightly risky with these older batteries like fly out over water or go out great distances. When my EVO and batteries were new about 3 years ago I was able to fly up to around 2,000 feet for great neighborhood aerial photos and make flights out 4 1/2 miles from launch. I wouldn't even consider half those distance with these aged batteries.

I'm truly surprised no one has posted a video about adapting r/c lipos to the EVO with an adapter (3D print?).....I'm sure it can be done and it would prolong the life of our Autel drones.

I have beaten this drum for a long time already - here and in other places. There was one guy who experimented with rebuilding dead cells with some success. But it isn't just about making an adapter. It's also that there is a circuit inside that tells the drone and controller how much juice is left and how to balance charge the cells. So an adapter isn't the route to take. The batteries need to be refurbished. That applies not only to the Evo1, but the entire line of Autel drones, and even other brands. I think there is a possible small business opportunity here. IMHO, Autel ought to publish how their batteries are assembled to make it possible for others to rebuild them, especially since Autel won't support older drones.
My Evo1's are still in excellent shape and do everything I want. But I won't buy from Autel anymore not because of their technology, but because of their non-support issues for older products.

I have beaten this drum for a long time already - here and in other places. There was one guy who experimented with rebuilding dead cells with some success. But it isn't just about making an adapter. It's also that there is a circuit inside that tells the drone and controller how much juice is left and how to balance charge the cells. So an adapter isn't the route to take. The batteries need to be refurbished. That applies not only to the Evo1, but the entire line of Autel drones, and even other brands. I think there is a possible small business opportunity here. IMHO, Autel ought to publish how their batteries are assembled to make it possible for others to rebuild them, especially since Autel won't support older drones.
My Evo1's are still in excellent shape and do everything I want. But I won't buy from Autel anymore not because of their technology, but because of their non-support issues for older products.
And that is why I picked up a tried and true Yuneec H Plus. There is still support and batteries are plentiful and are the same as used in the H520.
I was was ready for a 1" sensor and considered the EVO2 but with the chip debacle and the lack of support the H Plus was a better way to go. I've had a few H480's and nothing fly's like a HEX. I don't believe I will ever buy another Autel product. They did the same thing to the X-Star owners when the EVO1 was released. I still have 6 batteries that are good for the EVO1 but when they are done it will be a paper weight.

For any interested, Friday I bought a bundle at best buy for the Evo 1. A soft case, 2 batteries, and a set of props for 109 and change at Best Buy. I also bought an additional 2 batteries for 49 each. They offer free delivery which I opted for. I have bought batteries from them before but they only go on for 49 once or twice a year. I thought I would check them out on Black Friday as I was looking at my dust collector and made a score. I don't know if the sale is still on but many extend their Black Friday sales. I seen no sense sitting on this information so there it is.

For any interested, Friday I bought a bundle at best buy for the Evo 1. A soft case, 2 batteries, and a set of props for 109 and change at Best Buy. I also bought an additional 2 batteries for 49 each. They offer free delivery which I opted for. I have bought batteries from them before but they only go on for 49 once or twice a year. I thought I would check them out on Black Friday as I was looking at my dust collector and made a score. I don't know if the sale is still on but many extend their Black Friday sales. I seen no sense sitting on this information so there it is.
I just bought 1 more battery for 49 at Best Buy. To be sure it is still on. I bought what they said to be all of their inventory Friday and that was the items I list above. That is out for delivery to me today. Today, Inventory said hurry 1 left, but that is what it said Friday. The order went through and I got an email confirming that at 221 Eastern. Search "Autel Battery Best Buy"

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain