Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

DJI announcing a commitment to ADS-B

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
In addition to announcing a commitment to ADS-B, DJI released their Elevating Safety whitepaper outlining their vision for drone safety, that calls on industry and government to do 10 things in furtherance of airspace safety.

Section 2 of the report is a very deep look at the “drone sightings” reports of the last few years, and DJI thinks many of you will find that especially interesting.

Attachments

• 190521_US-Letter_Policy-White-Paper_web.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
I think it's a smart plan to CYA on DJI's behalf. If they implement it well, it will mean safer skies for all of us.

Problem is they are setting the stage. They are in bed with the FAA more then you think. Once they get what they want in this white paper all other manufactures will have to follow or be run out of town. To me its DJI's way to weed out the small guys that don't want to play nice.

Reactions: KentA
Also is publicity to divert the media from the US wanting to ban DJI. Or do you think it was coincidence that they released this today?

Also is publicity to divert the media from the US wanting to ban DJI. Or do you think it was coincidence that they released this today?
No they have been part of this since the beginning. Its just the timing of next FAA drone advisory committee meeting for June 6th. The next Drone Advisory Committee will be held on June 6. Here is the agenda. The meeting is open to the public, so if you'd like to attend send an email to [email protected] by May 31.

Federal Register Notice: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2019-05-21/pdf/2019-10591.pdf

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Problem is they are setting the stage. They are in bed with the FAA more then you think. Once they get what they want in this white paper all other manufactures will have to follow or be run out of town. To me its DJI's way to weed out the small guys that don't want to play nice.
Exactly right. DJI is trying to control the narrative—for their benefit, not ours...

More detailed radar for the Chinese govt. :)
Actually I like the idea of an ADS-B system installed on drones. It will not only allow us drone pilots to know that an aircraft is coming our way, it will allow the aircraft to know where we are. This will in turn prevent a tragedy and damaging drone reputation further.

Actually I like the idea of an ADS-B system installed on drones. It will not only allow us drone pilots to know that an aircraft is coming our way, it will allow the aircraft to know where we are. This will in turn prevent a tragedy and damaging drone reputation further.
I do not think its necessary, I already have my tool, its called flightradar24. Plus I am not sure but that option is only available so far on two DJI models. They are planning to include the chip on newer production units.

I have used that program and yes it does work bit its pretty laggy and not in real time. I have had planed over head and the app never recorded a flight till the plane was out of site.

I do not think its necessary, I already have my tool, its called flightradar24. Plus I am not sure but that option is only available so far on two DJI models. They are planning to include the chip on newer production units.
I have actually used the app, just like you and @Agustine, I find it to be imprecise and I've actually seen planes flying that do not show in flightradar24. I am aware that this will be included in future drone models from 2020 onward, but I will eventually upgrade my fleet with more modern drones. all of my drones have 2017 - 2018 tech. The usual lifespan of a drone is around 3 - 4 years.

LOL what makes you think that DJI's software will be any better? It's already causing problems with people that get clearance and still cannot take off.

This is a great idea but I am wondering if it's anything to do with the FCC asking drone companies to install the ads-b system so law enforcement can detect a drone flying illegally.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58