Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

FAA to UAS Violation Enforcement for December 2021 (hopefully one of many)

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
As you'll soon be hearing from @Vic Moss and Greg @pilotinstitute have been working to get more "information" released to the public about enforcement actions/fines/sanctions that have been taken against UAS operations. In our FAA Safty Team report we finally had a tid bit we can share.

This is taken directly from the EMAIL but expect more from those I mentioned at the start of this:

"Recent Drone Enforcement Case
In December 2021, the FAA issued a fine to a drone operator for flying a drone over protest events in upstate New York. The regulations violated by the recreational flyer that happened during a series of three separate flights in October and November 2020. The self-proclaimed recreational flyer did not comply with all of the eight requirements listed in section (a) of 49 USC § 44809 — the exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft. Section (b) of the statute states when recreational flyers fail to comply with any of the eight limitations contained in section (a), they must comply with the applicable regulations governing the operation of drones. In this case, since the drone was a small unmanned aircraft system (sUAS), 14 CFR part 107 was the applicable regulatory part.
The FAA investigation revealed the flights were over people, at night, in controlled airspace without an authorization, and posed a hazard to people and property below. As a result, the FAA determined the operator of the drone was in noncompliance with section 44809 and therefore subject to 14 CFR part 107. The following list of regulations were cited in the enforcement case:

1. 107.12(b): no remote pilot certificate.
  2. 107.13: drone not registered.
  3. 107.19(c): posing a hazard to people, aircraft, or property.
  4. 107.23(a): careless or reckless flying.
  5. 107.29(a): flying at night without a waiver (prior to the new operations over people or at night rule).
  6. 107.39: flying over people without a waiver (prior to the new operations over people or at night rule).
  7. 107.41: flying in controlled airspace without authorization.
  8. 107.65: no 24 month recency of knowledge.
The drone operator was assessed a civil penalty for $15,205 which had to be paid immediately.

Hopefully this is the first of many publications so we can actually let you know what CAN happen if you insist on being "That guy/girl".

any word on how the mighty TOR happened to catch the evil pilot?

thanks
I had an occasion a month ago to fly in really crowded, un-restricted, airspace, 4 sUAV and 3 piloted craft all wanting the same 100 Acre piece of private land with 2000 + folks enjoying the day. The worse piloted craft was manned. Even mentioned it to the County Sheriff, he just shrugged n said "looks like a government Helo"
no markings anywhere, reviewed 50 images, all sides, nothing.
just wondering if that craft was looking for rule breakers:)

Reactions: drrags
thanks
I had an occasion a month ago to fly in really crowded, un-restricted, airspace, 4 sUAV and 3 piloted craft all wanting the same 100 Acre piece of private land with 2000 + folks enjoying the day. The worse piloted craft was manned. Even mentioned it to the County Sheriff, he just shrugged n said "looks like a government Helo"
no markings anywhere, reviewed 50 images, all sides, nothing.
just wondering if that craft was looking for rule breakers:)

That would be anyone's guess and only a guess at best. If it was indeed a Gov aircraft it could have been doing any number of covert things.

LOL, I wasn't concerned why they were there, I was concerned that flying below 100' in a giant Helo, over 2K PPL, might get ugly if a system failed.
I moved my vehicle and sUAV way back to the tree line.... just in case:)

Yes Aeroscope pics up Autel, but now RID is mandated that will be much easier to detect. All the LEO or you need is this free app. https://www.opendroneid.org/ This will show them the drone position and operator. There is a year to comply for legacy vehicles, anything new needs to comply after the 16th of this month.

Yes Aeroscope pics up Autel, but now RID is mandated that will be much easier to detect. All the LEO or you need is this free app. https://www.opendroneid.org/ This will show them the drone position and operator. There is a year to comply for legacy vehicles, anything new needs to comply after the 16th of this month.
FYI, FWIW, FAA pushed back 3 months manufacturer RID compliance (not for user/operator compliance) with a new date of December 16, 2022. Note this only applies to the vendors and their Means of Compliance (MoC) and Declaration of Compliance (DoC) for integrated RID (e.g. not add on module RID). Here's the federal register link with more info: Federal Register :: Request Access also check out the FAA DOC MOC site here: UAS Declaration of Compliance

yeah stop sharing stuff, this includes social media, and agreeing to all the terms and licencing on your phones, drones , IoT, smart everything, etc, etc...

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d