Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Camera queries?

Nicoloks

Reaction score
Hi All,

To date I've been a DJI droner and have been looking to migrate to the Evo for the 4K60P. Few questions I'm wondering if someone could help me with;

1. What is the actual image sensor make and model (E.g Sony Exmor IMX277)? The tech specs on the Autel site are pretty limited, I believe the Evo has a 12MP 1/2.3 sized sensor?

2. The latest Autel Vlog fairly casually mentions that the Evo is capable of recording 10-bit H.265 in the LOG colour profile. I can't find any further mention of this capability in writing anywhere. Would be great if someone could confirm this for me. Would be even better again if someone would be able to supply a correctly exposed 5-10sec clip using these settings straight from the drone.

Thanks for any assistance.

Hi All,

To date I've been a DJI droner and have been looking to migrate to the Evo for the 4K60P. Few questions I'm wondering if someone could help me with;

1. What is the actual image sensor make and model (E.g Sony Exmor IMX277)? The tech specs on the Autel site are pretty limited, I believe the Evo has a 12MP 1/2.3 sized sensor?

2. The latest Autel Vlog fairly casually mentions that the Evo is capable of recording 10-bit H.265 in the LOG colour profile. I can't find any further mention of this capability in writing anywhere. Would be great if someone could confirm this for me. Would be even better again if someone would be able to supply a correctly exposed 5-10sec clip using these settings straight from the drone.

...not sure on the camera make -- you have the specs right -- it should have been a 1 inch sensor and wasn't.

As for the 10-bit recording -- Autel states this in their VLOG - only. That was the first I seen/heard of the option. Before this, I just realize the h.265 option -- but kept it on h.264. I was more worried about .mov or .mp4 selection.

h.265 takes a lot of computer resources in post. I shot about 10 - 15 minutes last week to test-- and it was taking hours to get any rendered video -- so I stopped the render. My PC processes h.264 way faster than this.

Autel shows recording in LOG if you are going to be color grading your footage in post -- otherwise you need to select your color settings when you are shooting the video.

LOG is available for h.264 and h.265

After Autel made that statement in the video someone emailed them and asked about it. From their reply they could not back up that statement with any facts.

You will see my name in the comments from that video as I inquired about it. I did write to support, but the reply they gave me was so generic and BS that I deleted it. As for the camera, is shows up like this:

I know it uses a Sony sensor, but haven't been able to find any more info.

The only consumer DSL that is not a 20 thousand dollar camera that just came out and can produce true 10 bit video with the help of the Atomos Ninja V 5" 4K HDMI Recording Monitor is the new Nikon Z6 or Z7 that will feature ProRes RAW when using the kit’s included ATOMOS Ninja V. ProRes RAW provides the quality and convenience of ProRes while preserving the camera’s RAW sensor data, giving you maximum flexibility during post production. So if some small drone camera says it can do true 10 bit video I call BS big time.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
The only consumer DSL that is not a 20 thousand dollar camera that just came out and can produce true 10 bit video with the help of the Atomos Ninja V 5" 4K HDMI Recording Monitor is the new Nikon Z6 or Z7 that will feature ProRes RAW when using the kit’s included ATOMOS Ninja V. ProRes RAW provides the quality and convenience of ProRes while preserving the camera’s RAW sensor data, giving you maximum flexibility during post production. So if some small drone camera says it can do true 10 bit video I call BS big time.

The Mavic 2 Pro has been confirmed as being a 10-bit camera.

Thanks for all the replies. Pretty disappointing that Autel don't make these details available. I had wondered if the Evo used the Sony Exmor RS IMX378 (same as in the Google Pixel) which from what I can tell is capable of 4K60P @ 10bit.

Find it pretty unprofessional that they drop a claim like that on their official YT channel and do nothing to back it up. Anyway, hopefully something more concrete comes forward in the coming weeks.

Does anyone have a clip recorded in H.265 4K60P 10 bit log profile they could share so I can take a closer look?

This might help in your quest. I can't help you out with specs for the sensor but I know long time people in the industry are very impressed with the camera.

That was really interesting. Autel has a history of prioritizing sensor performance by virtue of the XSP’s continued relevance today. Don’t all drone makers have access to any/all sensors? Credit must be given to Autel for milking the MAX out of their chosen sensors!

Reactions: WayneH
This might help in your quest. I can't help you out with specs for the sensor but I know long time people in the industry are very impressed with the camera.

Thanks for this. 11.5 stops of dynamic range is pretty impressive. Also found some raw footage from the Mavic and Autel Evo on fpvguys website. To my eye the Autel had better fine detail in the foliage and softer highlight roll off.

Going to hang out for the next sales promotion and then purchase me thinks. Thanks all.

Thanks for this. 11.5 stops of dynamic range is pretty impressive. Also found some raw footage from the Mavic and Autel Evo on fpvguys website. To my eye the Autel had better fine detail in the foliage and softer highlight roll off.

Going to hang out for the next sales promotion and then purchase me thinks. Thanks all.

You'll have a hard time beating the "BEST BUY" deal others have posted recently. Good luck....

You'll have a hard time beating the "BEST BUY" deal others have posted recently. Good luck....
Well, being located in Australia certainly doesn't help. I ended up purchasing my Evo a few hours ago of eBay though with a 10% off coupon. Nothing like the free "on the go" upgrade that was just on in the US, but discount essentially paid for the extra battery and carry bag upgrade.

Reactions: WayneH
Mavic 2 Pro offers 10bit video in the D-Log profile when recording in H.265 only.
That I know. EVO may, too, since the requirements seem the same. H.265 is a pain to work with, and D-Log absolutely requires color grading. The beauty of the H.264 on the EVO is it looks color graded straight out of the camera with no color profile.

I queried (spammed?) the Autel YT channel over a couple of videos asking for follow up on the 10-bit claim and actually got a reply. I think this will be about as close to an admission that the 10-bit claim is not based on anything from the Autel engineering team as I'm likely to get. Basically seems the creative team made the claim based around the fact the Ambarella H2 image processor onboard the Evo is capable of 10-bit video rather than being an option of the Evo software itself. Still no idea what image sensor is on board the Evo, however I'd actually be a bit surprised if it was not capable of 10-bit. If the hardware support is there, then perhaps one day a firmware/software update will unlock this.

So far still think the Evo is a very significant step up in image quality from the old Mavic Pro I had (100mbps H.265 spanks the Mavic). I use the internal 10-bit 4:2:2 on my Panasonic GH5 quite a bit when I know I'll want to push the grade around a bit in post, so the lack of 10-bit is just a bit disappointing (bit like a cake with no icing). Will just have to plan shots a bit better (time of day, angle to the sun, etc) so it'll be less of a challenge to get the exposure right in camera.

Reactions: G_G
I queried (spammed?) the Autel YT channel over a couple of videos asking for follow up on the 10-bit claim and actually got a reply. I think this will be about as close to an admission that the 10-bit claim is not based on anything from the Autel engineering team as I'm likely to get. Basically seems the creative team made the claim based around the fact the Ambarella H2 image processor onboard the Evo is capable of 10-bit video rather than being an option of the Evo software itself. Still no idea what image sensor is on board the Evo, however I'd actually be a bit surprised if it was not capable of 10-bit. If the hardware support is there, then perhaps one day a firmware/software update will unlock this.

So far still think the Evo is a very significant step up in image quality from the old Mavic Pro I had (100mbps H.265 spanks the Mavic). I use the internal 10-bit 4:2:2 on my Panasonic GH5 quite a bit when I know I'll want to push the grade around a bit in post, so the lack of 10-bit is just a bit disappointing (bit like a cake with no icing). Will just have to plan shots a bit better (time of day, angle to the sun, etc) so it'll be less of a challenge to get the exposure right in camera.
Thank you for pursuing this!
EVO either has 10 bit output, or it doesn't, and it clearly doesn't!
It's a complete cop out for them to claim it does, and then state we aren't engineers, so it's not our fault when we get caught redhanded, making up completely nonexistent specs during a promotional EVO video, because we are only the creative team! :rolleyes: Shame on you, Autel!

The Mavic 2 processor is also capable of 4K 60fps, but no one at DJI would dare put that in a DJI promotional video as a feature, because no Mavic 2 can offer it, as configured, without entirely different hardware to support the processor capability!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicoloks
It's a complete cop out for them to claim it does, and then state we aren't engineers, so it's not our fault when we get caught redhanded, making up completely nonexistent specs during a promotional EVO video, because we are only the creative team! :rolleyes: Shame on you, Autel!

The Mavic 2 processor is also capable of 4K 60fps, but no one at DJI would dare put that in a DJI promotional video as a feature, because no Mavic 2 can offer it, as configured, without entirely different hardware to support the processor capability!

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel as the 10-bit claim was the push I needed to commit to buying the Evo. As you say, if DJI had made this sort of baseless claim the user base would have been out for blood. Interestingly the Ambarella H2 is also capable of 4K@120fps H.264, maybe Autel can retrofit this into the Evo while they are going with implementing 10-bit :p .

Reactions: G_G

If you crash you Evo and the camera falls off, then you should check the sensor out. ?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacqueslambert