Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Browsing

YuKay

Reaction score
Looking at the online videos from the very first EVOs, I thought that the image quality could be improved upon so I have been focusing my pre-purchase research on the Yuneec H Plus - which after six months of procrastinating, I still haven't bought because I'm not convinced that its sensor/codec/processor/bitrate/card interface can deliver sufficiently artifact-free video under maximum load, ie 4k60.

But upon taking a fresh look at recently uploaded EVO footage, I see a big improvement in video quality, including - but not limited to - the latest firmware gimbal jitter fix. I'm still not certain that this update has fixed the tilt jitter so I'm looking out for more evidence on that; but it has certainly smoothed out the yaw.

More than this, the EVO video now looks really clean. All video suffers to some extent from antialiasing, moiré and similar artifacts but the recent samples of EVO footage are cleaner than the H Plus imho (making allowances for YouTube's compression artifacts). I would love to know how EVO has achieved this. I assume the lens, processor etc are cobbled together from the same standard box of Asian components as most other drones. So maybe EVO's software is better?

One thing really grabbed my attention. EVO 4k60 footage plays very smoothly on my rig (5k iMac with 40GB RAM and a 40Mbps broadband connection), dropping very few, if any, frames even when playing at full resolution. But this has not been the case with hundreds of H Plus 4k60 videos I have viewed on this same rig. These have all stuttered badly and dropped lots of frames.

So what is the difference between 4k60 video made from EVO's Sony 1/2.3" CMOS and the H Plus's Sony 1" CMOS? The pixel dimensions are the same. The bit depth is presumably the same. The file sizes are presumably the same. But something has to be different.

Once I work out the answer to this mystery, the EVO will again be a serious contender for my cash - even though it's only available in the UK as a gray import. Hopefully, once Autel get ahead of the launch phase, they will begin to export; but until then, I assume it's a PITA if I were to need a factory repair.

I was initially disappointed that Autel didn't follow through on their 1" CMOS launch promise; but it was always going to be almost impossible to deliver both a 1" CMOS and a sub-$1,000 price tag. I might wait for that 1" CMOS but the current camera is doing such a good job, I might not. I do see richer/deeper colour on the H Plus footage but some of that can be delivered in post…and rich colour is no use to me if I can't watch the video online without dropping loads of frames.

My only real concern is that I can't access all the EVO's functions if I fly using the remote controller on its own. The H Plus controller doesn't need a mobile device at all and that appeals to me.

Apologies for rambling on. I think the EVO has a big future and would be grateful for any feedback.

Are you downloading these videos and then playing them on your machine or are you watching from Youtube? If Youtube it will do real funny things to a really good video. If you are downloading them it might be just a codec problem as all 4K is not the same.

No, I'm comparing YouTube experiences. When I download an H Plus 4k60 video from source, it usually plays OK. But online viewing has been a different story. The mystery is that EVO online 4k60 footage plays nicely for me while H Plus 4k60 doesn't - on the same rig at almost the same time.

Hmmm, has to be something Youtube is doing then if they play fine when downloaded. I know my Yuneec video files would not open in the free gopro software until I ran them through Avidemux so Yuneec must be using a different 4K

The other thing that is different with the H plus is the 1" sensor. You mentioned it is the same as the EVO's Sony 1/2.3" CMOS which it is not. There will be a difference between the two. If not why even go with the 1"

Last edited:
I did acknowledge that the cameras have different sensors. The main benefit of the larger sensor imho is that it produces 20MP still images versus the 12MP stills with the EVO sensor. That's useful for cropping, digital panning and for making larger prints. I also think that the H Plus 1" sensor improves certain aspects of the video, especially the colour richness.

But the video output from both sensors is the same size/resolution - and yet they definitely play differently in Chrome. I would like to find out why.

There is no replacement for displacement as they say and size matters

Small sensors can provide outstanding images but they are only part of the story, the SOC is a massive part of the puzzle in video especially, not really in stills.

A 1” sensor with a good SOC can keep up with MFT and even some APS-C systems, there is a dramatic difference with the overall output jumping from 1/2.3” to 1” and of you add in additional bitrates and codec like HVEC then it all adds up.

For the most part most users would be more than happy with the smaller systems but they have their limitations.

One of the big things with the 1” models is the shutter setup and the ones with a Global Shutter and VERY liked by the mapping industry

I need to download an EVO 4k60 source clip to compare it. Can anyone point me to a download link please? TIA.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
in84