Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO-II PRO Camera/CODEC specs?

Cliff Totten

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm a "DJI-guy" but I have my first Autel drone on pre-order (Evo-II Pro) and I'm excited about it. Looking to find some specs as I wait for this to ship.

I'm interested in these camera and software specs. Does anybody know?

CODEC: - 100mbps and 120mbps are stated. Do they both exist for H.265 and H.265 together?
CODEC: - We have 8bit sampling and 10bit sampling - In both H.264 and H.265?
CODEC: - Chroma sub-sampling - Do we have 4:2:0 and/or 4:2:2? (I hope it is limited to 4:2:0 to limit the stress on the low bitrate compression)
Log Curve: - Supposedly it mimic's SLog-2? Would make sense as this is a Sony IMX383 sensor and Son A/D converters.
Picture controls: - Do we get "contrast", "sharpening" and "Saturation" controls?

Anybody know the answers to this?

CT

I just hope it actually has 10 bit. There is a major lack of information about the Evo 2 Pro unfortunately. But for the LOG, from what I've heard from OriginalDoBo it is very similar to the Evo 1's log, therefore also being very similar to Slog-2. I'm not sure about the contrast, sharpening, or saturation.

I will upload a very short .mov h265 log file and will share the link so any1 can check its properties and tell us what it is supporting atm :D

Code:
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'MAX_0073.MOV':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : qt
    minor_version   : 512
    compatible_brands: qt
    encoder         : Lavf58.20.100
  Duration: 00:01:44.43, start: 0.033000, bitrate: 104861 kb/s
    Stream #0:0(eng): Video: hevc (Main 10) (hev1 / 0x31766568), yuvj420p(pc, bt709), 3840x2160, 104860 kb/s, 30.01 fps, 30 tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc (default)
    Metadata:
      handler_name    : Autel.Video
[STREAM]
index=0
codec_name=hevc
codec_long_name=H.265 / HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding)
profile=Main 10
codec_type=video
codec_time_base=3133/94020
codec_tag_string=hev1
codec_tag=0x31766568
width=3840
height=2160
coded_width=3840
coded_height=2160
has_b_frames=0
sample_aspect_ratio=N/A
display_aspect_ratio=N/A
pix_fmt=yuvj420p
level=153
color_range=pc
color_space=bt709
color_transfer=bt709
color_primaries=bt709
chroma_location=unspecified
field_order=unknown
timecode=N/A
refs=1
id=N/A
r_frame_rate=30/1
avg_frame_rate=94020/3133
time_base=1/90000
start_pts=2970
start_time=0.033000
duration_ts=9399000
duration=104.433333
bit_rate=104860722
max_bit_rate=N/A
bits_per_raw_sample=N/A
nb_frames=3134
nb_read_frames=N/A
nb_read_packets=N/A
DISPOSITION:default=1
DISPOSITION:dub=0
DISPOSITION:original=0
DISPOSITION:comment=0
DISPOSITION:lyrics=0
DISPOSITION:karaoke=0
DISPOSITION:forced=0
DISPOSITION:hearing_impaired=0
DISPOSITION:visual_impaired=0
DISPOSITION:clean_effects=0
DISPOSITION:attached_pic=0
DISPOSITION:timed_thumbnails=0
TAG:language=eng
TAG:handler_name=Autel.Video
[/STREAM]
[FORMAT]
filename=MAX_0073.MOV
nb_streams=1
nb_programs=0
format_name=mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2
format_long_name=QuickTime / MOV
start_time=0.033000
duration=104.434000
size=1368892550
bit_rate=104861830
probe_score=100
TAG:major_brand=qt
TAG:minor_version=512
TAG:compatible_brands=qt
TAG:encoder=Lavf58.20.100
[/FORMAT]
I've checked others and depending on whats going on in the video I've seen that bitrate exceed 120,000 kb/s for what its worth.

Last edited:
What I believe is that evo 2 is still at its mid beta stages . Autel’s priority atm is probably to stabilize the Evo 2’s flight problems like the one I had but different problems have different r&d deps dealin with em so 10 bit might not be so far away . We shall see ;)

What I believe is that evo 2 is still at its mid beta stages . Autel’s priority atm is probably to stabilize the Evo 2’s flight problems like the one I had but different problems have different r&d deps dealin with em so 10 bit might not be so far away . We shall see ;)

It will still be nice if they honestly admitted to the issue, quit lying about it and provided a status.

Reactions: Micander
It will still be nice if they honestly admitted to the issue, quit lying about it and provided a status.

I completely agree!!! Sent them an email with a link to this thread, with all the issues that been reported: Flight dynamics, Camera drift in ludicrous mode, Aircraft only doing 22mph in none ludicrous mode, Delay, and now the 10 bit misinformation. It’s not like this item is cheap...
Ive been using nothing but the DJI ecosystem for some time. I thought this would be a refined addition to my fleet, especially because no geo fencing. The so to speak...” perfect” tool for a 107 operator, but it’s hard to take in all these issues when I’m reading about and watching YT videos about issues

And just so everyone knows, I bought the rugged bundle on 4/15 from drone works...

and still waiting... just saying...

Reactions: Rocco Germani
Shot some 4k@60fps in log today, how can I upload here for someone to check the color depth? I mainly shoot stills but an interested in confirming the 10 bit color depth issue, my Pro ll arrived today.

There has been a lot of bad mouthing of Autel and accusations of lying etc. Not surprising in the age of Fake News. But I have to say so far I have been satisfied with the integrity of the Autel Support people I have spoken with on the phone.

Today I called after confirming 8 bit color in 4k Log (at 60fps and again at 24fps) and spoke to Autel Support. They told me outright that they are aware of the issue and working on it and will get back to "the forums" ASAP but maybe not as soon as Monday. As

the M2P shoots 10 bit and the ll Pro has a later updated version of the same chip series, it clearly has the capability, which is basically what he said.

Yesterday I had spoken about a minor issue and afterwards steered them to the page that stated 5.5k at 60fps, which we all knew would exceed the max bandwidth. He was surprised and said, yeah that is a typo and passed it on to the powers that be.

I even got so bold as to say some on the forums are remembering when the EVO 1 was supposed to offer 10 bit but never did. He said yes there was some talk of 10 bit for the EVO 1 but he did not think it was advertised as such or promised like on the EVO ll, and that they had

talked bout offering a 1" sensor option but could not get enough units to do so. I never bought the EVO I and went with the M2P, so do not recall whether it was publicly promised in their promos or not.

All in all, I am satisfied that I am getting honest answers from Autel Support, I know others feel differently and I am not party to what was said or written to. them. But I do feel they deserve a chance to address the 10 bit issue, we have plenty of time to become a bunch of haters down the road.

I also asked if they had achieved 10 bit color depth in house, and I was told he had not even had a chance to fly the Pro it was so new, and he was not in R&D so could not answer the question.

But all in all I am satisfied for now and will take a wait and see approach. I have 30 days to try to negotiate a return to Wellbots possibly with a restock fee should there not be a fix. I will say the the still photos I am getting are great...at LEAST as good as my old M2P, possibly better,

I am not a true pixel peeper and no longer have that drone for side tossed comparison.

Still working my way through the in depth manuals the ll Pro.

I

Shot some 4k@60fps in log today, how can I upload here for someone to check the color depth? I mainly shoot stills but an interested in confirming the 10 bit color depth issue, my Pro ll arrived today.

There has been a lot of bad mouthing of Autel and accusations of lying etc. Not surprising in the age of Fake News. But I have to say so far I have been satisfied with the integrity of the Autel Support people I have spoken with on the phone.

Today I called after confirming 8 bit color in 4k Log (at 60fps and again at 24fps) and spoke to Autel Support. They told me outright that they are aware of the issue and working on it and will get back to "the forums" ASAP but maybe not as soon as Monday. As

the M2P shoots 10 bit and the ll Pro has a later updated version of the same chip series, it clearly has the capability, which is basically what he said.

Yesterday I had spoken about a minor issue and afterwards steered them to the page that stated 5.5k at 60fps, which we all knew would exceed the max bandwidth. He was surprised and said, yeah that is a typo and passed it on to the powers that be.

I even got so bold as to say some on the forums are remembering when the EVO 1 was supposed to offer 10 bit but never did. He said yes there was some talk of 10 bit for the EVO 1 but he did not think it was advertised as such or promised like on the EVO ll, and that they had

talked bout offering a 1" sensor option but could not get enough units to do so. I never bought the EVO I and went with the M2P, so do not recall whether it was publicly promised in their promos or not.

All in all, I am satisfied that I am getting honest answers from Autel Support, I know others feel differently and I am not party to what was said or written to. them. But I do feel they deserve a chance to address the 10 bit issue, we have plenty of time to become a bunch of haters down the road.

I also asked if they had achieved 10 bit color depth in house, and I was told he had not even had a chance to fly the Pro it was so new, and he was not in R&D so could not answer the question.

But all in all I am satisfied for now and will take a wait and see approach. I have 30 days to try to negotiate a return to Wellbots possibly with a restock fee should there not be a fix. I will say the the still photos I am getting are great...at LEAST as good as my old M2P, possibly better,

I am not a true pixel peeper and no longer have that drone for side tossed comparison.

Still working my way through the in depth manuals the ll Pro.

I

Well the main reason I sold my mavic and jumped on the Evo 2 train is due to the fact that when u own a dji product you actually don’t own it but you are like someone that is allowed to fly it as long as big daddy allows you to :D I hated that feeling of dji allowing me to fly my own property or not :D

So it can be 8 bit for now that is fine with me , in 3 or 4 updates it probably will support 10 bit and as long as it performs to my liking and autel backs it up I am ok with it :D I am flyin my evo 2 for fun and well I really had fun till the crash I had due to hardware/software/firmware or whatever fault it had at the time the crash occured and well they have responded today to my reply and waiting for a name and adresse to ship my replacement Evo 2 pro :)

I have asked em if they had to chance to check my flight logs for my previous range issue too , I will let you know if they fwd me their findings

Reactions: Lmatnme
Well the main reason I sold my mavic and jumped on the Evo 2 train is due to the fact that when u own a dji product you actually don’t own it but you are like someone that is allowed to fly it as long as big daddy allows you to :D I hated that feeling of dji allowing me to fly my own property or not :D

So it can be 8 bit for now that is fine with me , in 3 or 4 updates it probably will support 10 bit and as long as it performs to my liking and autel backs it up I am ok with it :D I am flyin my evo 2 for fun and well I really had fun till the crash I had due to hardware/software/firmware or whatever fault it had at the time the crash occured and well they have responded today to my reply and waiting for a name and adresse to ship my replacement Evo 2 pro :)

I have asked em if they had to chance to check my flight logs for my previous range issue too , I will let you know if they fwd me their findings

Absolutely. And what drone companies other than Autel can you phone up and speak to? Parrot is one, although they have laid off staff and may not have the customer service they once did, but I spoke to them several times, and they have replaced crashed drones. Also no restrictions and quick to launch, I am very fond of my Anafi: quiet, smooth flying, decent image quality for sensnor size, ALWAYS comes home which I cannot say for either of my DJI birds.

Still learning my way around this EVO ll.

Absolutely. And what drone companies other than Autel can you phone up and speak to? Parrot is one, although they have laid off staff and may not have the customer service they once did, but I spoke to them several times, and they have replaced crashed drones. Also no restrictions and quick to launch, I am very fond of my Anafi: quiet, smooth flying, decent image quality for sensnor size, ALWAYS comes home which I cannot say for either of my DJI birds.

Still learning my way around this EVO ll.

Well I got myself mini and micro drones to train and pass time , after flying fully manuel flying with evo 2 is a walk in the park ;) and I want fpv with evo 2 :)

Heads up; I found a video that I downloaded back in August 2018 from Bo Lorentzen that was shot in 4K log 10-bit (verified) on the Mavic 2 Pro. After color grading it to taste and producing it in Cyberlink PowerDirector 365 (v18), the sky was full of undulating blue globs and banding. PD can input 10-bit fine but can only output 8-bit H.264, H.265 and XAVC-S. I tried them all, same problem. Hmm...maybe the bit rate conversion introduces the problem. But when I did the same exercise in DaVinci Resolve (the free version), the sky in the 8-bit output was perfectly smooth. I couldn't find any 10-bit output formats in DR that would run smoothly on my system. It turns out that 10-bit support improved with Intel 7th generation CPU. Mine is 6th gen. So, the moral of this story is you need to find out if you can even use 10-bit video with your existing hardware and software. My reading so far says that shooting in 10-bit is especially advantageous when lots of color grading is required. Heavy color grading 8-bit video can cause problems. If you are shooting 8-bit, try to get the best final settings in-camera so that little or no color grading is required.

Reactions: parkgt
Yeah, I hear you. I'm running DaVinci resolve studio on proper hardware on Redhat 8 (dev license) and everything about my setup revolves around making sure it handles high bitrate 10bit h265.

Reactions: DZNTS and Rubik3x

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GLOBODRONE