Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Built in Lens Profile: Is Anyone Else Getting a Slight Curvature of the Horizon?

TN Drone Services

Reaction score
Website
www.tennesseedroneservices.com
Editing in Lightroom Classic CC. I see that it is applying the built in profile for the lens (6k pro lens), but I'm still seeing lens distortion with a slight curvature. Are you all getting this as well? I've taken it out on a job Saturday as well as two days of test flights to put it through it's paces and get used to the Autel platform (been using DJI and Parrot until this addition). This is a consistent issue throughout my photos. The photo attached is RAW without any adjustments save for the built-in lens profile.Lens Distortion.JPGLens Distortion.JPG

And just to confirm you are:
1. Using Lightroom Classic CC
2. Using the 6K gimbal
3. And I forgot the name of the formfactor/crop I was shooting in, but it is the first of the three options provided with the largest resolution.

I do wonder if the horizon being higher and the sky taking up less of the image, it distorts more there. I tend to show less sky in my shots due to the way I typically frame. Do you happen to have any with a similar sky/land ratio that you'd be willing to give another look at to see if there's distortion?

I've found that if I turn off the built in distortion and use the Phantom 4 FC330 from my profile corrections, that smooths out that horizon. Subsequently I could make my own.

4K video does not show the distortion with a similar sky/land ratio, but that doesn't mean much because I believe it is only using the center of the sensor for 4K video.
I also found that when previewing images in Windows explorer, the horizon shows correctly in images. So I'm wondering if there's something going on with the way Lightroom Classic CC handles the built in lens profile.
No Lens Distortion-4k.JPG

This is very common with a lot of UAV's. I was told it has to do with the FOV and the angle you have the gimbal at when taking the photo. Even if it was run through a lens correction you will still get a slight curvature and yours is very slight to me.

1. Not using Lightroom
2. Using the 6K gimbal
3. Likewise, 1st choice of the 3 options
This photo is a screenshot, the original was too large to post here, 26,521 KB 2.jpg

This is very common with a lot of UAV's. I was told it has to do with the FOV and the angle you have the gimbal at when taking the photo. Even if it was run through a lens correction you will still get a slight curvature and yours is very slight to me.
It has never been an issue with my P3S, P4S, M2P or Evo II Pro.:)

4K video does not show the distortion with a similar sky/land ratio, but that doesn't mean much because I believe it is only using the center of the sensor for 4K video.
I also found that when previewing images in Windows explorer, the horizon shows correctly in images. So I'm wondering if there's something going on with the way Lightroom Classic CC handles the built in lens profile.
View attachment 7288
Sounds like a LIghtroom profile issue to me.

Mine gives curved horizon, especially when close to top frame. In JPG this is corrected by in-drone software.
JPG:
1591968720211.png
DNG:
1591968747772.png
DNG with automatic correction in RawTherapee (it gives gives place for some manual tweaks, too):
1591969361384.png
IMHO it was worse in MavicAir, after in-drone correction the horizon is "quite" flat but still looking strange this is even not very top of frame:
1591968882873.png
Maybe it is not very scientific approach from my side, just ensuring very common lens/camera issue.

I created a Lens Correction profile for the EVO II Pro 6K for Adobe Raw (Pshop and Lightroom), see the thread I just posted this morning. I had been using some DJI lens correction profile, but it still wasn't making my horizons flat. Barrel/pincushion lens distortion is pretty common on most camera/lenses. You can see the effects before/after in my post. Attached to it is the lens correction profile. Without it the straight shot of my projector screen the bottom of it is curved, with it on, it's straight. This can help on the Horizon. To each their own though, some like it! To me its not just about horizons, but the optical distortions affect the entire image, things that should be squared can be rounded, etc. It's minimal, and most won't notice, but it bothers me :)

Reactions: AirStag
As the fellow above mentioned, on JPEG's the camera appears to provide some in camera/system lens distortion correction, but not for DNG/RAW.

I created a Lens Correction profile for the EVO II Pro 6K for Adobe Raw (Pshop and Lightroom), see the thread I just posted this morning. I had been using some DJI lens correction profile, but it still wasn't making my horizons flat. Barrel/pincushion lens distortion is pretty common on most camera/lenses. You can see the effects before/after in my post. Attached to it is the lens correction profile. Without it the straight shot of my projector screen the bottom of it is curved, with it on, it's straight. This can help on the Horizon. To each their own though, some like it! To me its not just about horizons, but the optical distortions affect the entire image, things that should be squared can be rounded, etc. It's minimal, and most won't notice, but it bothers me :)
I'm trying to use your profile in Lightroom Classic. I put the lcp file in the DJI folder, in the root profile folder and in a new Autel folder I created, and It doesn't show up. Can you share the procedure for using the profile in LR? Also thanks for creating it! I'm like you I see all types of distortion in most images. Images with a steep camera angle are the worst.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic\Resources\LensProfiles\1.0\DJI

I'm trying to use your profile in Lightroom Classic. I put the lcp file in the DJI folder, in the root profile folder and in a new Autel folder I created, and It doesn't show up. Can you share the procedure for using the profile in LR? Also thanks for creating it! I'm like you I see all types of distortion in most images. Images with a steep camera angle are the worst.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic\Resources\LensProfiles\1.0\DJI

On Windows, put the file in C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg