Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Bad time to get on the Evo 1 bandwagon?

TIME MACHINE

Reaction score
I’m a very casual, novice flyer who has owned a couple DJI mini’s and few Hubsan models. I’ve been reading a lot about the troubles at Autel, including the abrupt EOL situation.

With Evo 1’s selling for $600-$700, is it a bad decision for someone like me to buy one? My biggest fear is the battery situation and seeing them dry up at a rapid rate.

I’d hate to make a bad purchase. If I don’t buy the Evo 1, I’m definitely in for a Nano. I just love the bargain price on the Evo…..it’s almost irresistible.

One quick question. The upgraded smart controller for the Evo 1, are they still available? Any idea if they might get discounted?

Thanks for helping a rookie.

Reactions: jlanni
Mine has been great and produces great 60p 4K video with superb range and 25 min flight times- go for it.

Reactions: TIME MACHINE
With Evo 1’s selling for $600-$700, is it a bad decision for someone like me to buy one? My biggest fear is the battery situation and seeing them dry up at a rapid rate.

Considering your login... you should be able to go back to when batteries were easily obtained, no? 🙃

Seriously, get the batteries while you can... as that is, as much the definition of EOL, as parts and repair options in case of a crash.

As far as SC v1... think they are all spoken for at this point, but the vendors that frequent this board would each have to answer, as to any availability. Discounts? Not likely... more buyers than units.

I’m a very casual, novice flyer who has owned a couple DJI mini’s and few Hubsan models. I’ve been reading a lot about the troubles at Autel, including the abrupt EOL situation.

I’d hate to make a bad purchase. If I don’t buy the Evo 1, I’m definitely in for a Nano. I just love the bargain price on the Evo…..it’s almost irresistible.

One quick question. The upgraded smart controller for the Evo 1, are they still available? Any idea if they might get discounted?

Just keep in mind, due to the battery situation you will be lucky to get 1yr out of the batteries you purchase; with LiPo batteries there is no such thing as stockpiling them. A bargain isn't a bargain if you expect to get 3yrs out of it and only get a yr.

Very bad decision. Evo is going to quit making batteries/props at the end of year. I assume you are buying a used Evo so who knows how much battery time you have left. All four of mine died with 35 cycles and a little over a year on them. To make it worse the auto drain function you setup in the app rarely works quickening the death of these batteries. Go with DJI.

I have two of the Evo 1 with 7 batteries. I have not had a battery fail yet. I fly them the most of all my drones. I have two P4P (V1 & V2) and three Inspires that I also really like. However, I would NEVER get rid of my Evo's because I fly a lot and if I had to deal with geofencing everywhere I would fly much less.

$600/$700 is a GREAT price for such a capable and fun drone .. GO FOR IT

maybe they are a cheap price for a good reason ??

maybe they are a cheap price for a good reason ??
All drones go through this .. I remember when the P4P got stupid cheap .. $600 ... not anymore! Just a cycle and any way who cares? Are you going to get a better drone for $600? NO! Up tp you to decide .. I am keeping mine.

All drones go through this .. I remember when the P4P got stupid cheap .. $600 ... not anymore! Just a cycle and any way who cares? Are you going to get a better drone for $600? NO! Up tp you to decide .. I am keeping mine.
not sure New drones will be allowed to operate and be sold without geo-fencing, this might increase the value of the old models

Last edited:

See my other post, but short answer: go with DJI (I love my Evo 1 and it has worked perfectly, but the problem is Autel stopping making batteries and propellers -- without which it's pretty darn impossible to get the Evo 1 off the ground! Furthermore, give how quickly they killed off support for the still-perfectly-good Evo 1, who knows how long you'll be able to use your Evo 2 or Evo 3 or whatever Autel drone? Last, there are A LOT OF aftermarket products for DJI drones but absolutely squat for Autel drones. I can't predict the future, but Autel effectively killing the $1400 drone and extra battery I got only two years ago brand new is pretty freaking annoying.

6 or 7 hundred for a good flying drone is well worth the money. A used drone will more than likely come with a pile of extras. I'm not happy with Autel for doing what they did but I do not have any complaints about my EVO I. I personally would not sell my drone for that amount. Just me. If I did not have a bird and knew of an EVO I, I would buy it. I consider them to be upper middle of the road with a great camera for what I do. Certainly better that any new bottom rung drones and as good or better than any middle upper. After what Autel did, I started looking at an ugrade. I've been looking for two months. I'm thinking DJI Air 2. Is that really an upgrade? I don't think so.

I have two of the Evo 1 with 7 batteries. I have not had a battery fail yet. I fly them the most of all my drones. I have two P4P (V1 & V2) and three Inspires that I also really like. However, I would NEVER get rid of my Evo's because I fly a lot and if I had to deal with geofencing everywhere I would fly much less.

$600/$700 is a GREAT price for such a capable and fun drone .. GO FOR IT
what firmware version do you have
i have heard that firmware 1.5.8 is what damages the batteries
I have 5 batteries for now never had any problems
but if it is true that the firmware damages the batteries io
I carry over the firmware to a previous one
I have already tried and it works great

what firmware version do you have
i have heard that firmware 1.5.8 is what damages the batteries
I have 5 batteries for now never had any problems
but if it is true that the firmware damages the batteries io
I carry over the firmware to a previous one
I have already tried and it works great
I never updated mine .. I will have to check the version but my philosophy is "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and I have never had an issue with either bird

Non ho mai aggiornato il mio .. dovrò controllare la versione ma la mia filosofia è "se non è rotto non aggiustarlo" e non ho mai avuto problemi con nessuno dei due
fammi sapere la tua versione grazie ciao

I dont use it too often. Very happy with it . I have four batteries with low "milage" I keep them charged between 2 and 3 lights. I was told this is going to make them last for awhile

Reactions: Antonello
Nooooooooooo!!!!! Don't get one!!!
Money MUCH MUCH MUCH better spent on a DJI Mini 2. Cheaper, newer, same camera basically, <249g.
Seriously, you will be throwing your money away on an Evo 1. Even if you find some brand-new in box one on eBay for $400, you would be better off to spend that $400 on a new DJI Mini 2. (I own an Evo 1, and Autel's dropping support, batteries, everything for it is maddening.)

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain