Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

4Hawks Raptor Range Extender Reviews And Questions

The installation took me about an hour. They include a small wrench for all of the rf connector nuts, and a T6 torx for all of the screws inside as part of the package. Some other things you will need: hot glue gun (for the very small RF connector on the one board), pair of small needle nose pliers, tweezers/pickups for screws. The directions are good in the video, I would also watch the Itelite video as I would also remove the lanyard clip point just for ease of install and also it shows better the glue/silicone on the small RF connector. There is also glue/silicone on two small clip points inside the RC where the old antenna cable passes through...this was a little tough to get through and remove...had to go slow there. I would also squeeze the clip ends of the old antennas to remove them and not just yank hard on them...you don't want your RC going flying when they eventually pop out. Here is the clip on the inside that you can squeeze with the needle nose pliers to remove them easier.

All in all it was a pretty easy install. To answer a question earlier, there really is no other place to have the hole for the third RF connector. This remote is pretty packed solid and there isn't another spot that I saw worth investigating further to try and squeeze that connector in. Let me know if there are any other questions and I will try to answer them as best I can from my experience doing this one time.

Now I just need my drone back and I will be all set to test it out.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I got a responce from Adrian from 4Hawks on pricing in the US. It will retail at $149.00 US dollars.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Shipping weight is:
Package weight: 0.96 kg
So minus the packaging it will not be to bad. Mine is still in the mail or I would give you a exact weight. :)

It is minimal, the antenna is very light in contrast to its size. It's more balance than anything in my opinion...it's less than adding a tablet (my Galaxy Tab weighs more) to the controller for sure.

I'm assuming the controller wouldn't fit in the carrying case without some serious modification, correct?
Oh, and I like this "One day, my ship will come. And with my luck, I'll be waiting at the airport!":D

The antenna just clips on to the metal bottom stand so the only thing you would have to do is undo the cables (x3) from the antenna and it should fit just like before.

Old Bama Dude. When I started reading your response, "It's rather big", I thought you were going to comment on the $149 cost. lol

What are you that have this mod seeing for results? If it were on my controller, especially if I had to pay for it, that bird would be in the air so fast it would make your eyes water. And I could tell within a football field distance if anything were different. Having said that, should I contact Autel about video drops, RC link lost, etc., or am I not holding my tongue right??

There sure seems to be a good number of units I'm reading about on here that go back for diagnostics, require phone support, are in the classified (with a few cleaver stories of why it's no longer wanted/needed I might add). There have even been posts questioning the solvency of the company...website board down, CS not getting back as they once did etc. It's great that they support the product, but come on already!

Again, I love my XSP. The fact is it's my first Drone though, and is my love blinded by that fact? One could argue a case that there may have been a need to get to thing to market, possibly before it was ready?

I know that it's not hardcore hardware, but it's not a PlaySchool item either.

Talk me off the ledge here!!

@Donda - I installed it, but I had a bad motor and my XSP is being repaired so I can't test it out. Agustine will probably have his flying with it and tested before I get my bird back.

You don't need to be talked off the ledge...I had a lengthy email discussion with a VP at Autel who assured me they aren't going anywhere but up. Take that for what it is, merely words, but I approached him as a customer who is also a VP of technology and knows aboout running and fixing companies that have gone through rough patches. It is easily searchable, they canned the US CEO in June of this year and replaced him with a home grown in mainland China...yes they are a Chinese company. I posted a run down in another forum of what I was told is the state of the union at Autel. The fact that stock levels are still increasing, availability of batteries is back up, and that they are treating their customers the right way are all great signs...a company that is backing their product. I am sure there is some Autel vs DJI blood in the waters, two Chinese companies fighting for market is probably the best scenario that can happen. Their R&D facility in Germany is hiring developers, another good sign. Who needs sales and marketing hordes when the product is selling itself. Kestrel is where they will need some ground pounders, it's a Corp product and not so much consumer...unless you are rich and I would rather have 4 drones than one drone costing 5 grand by the time you get everything.

Again, just my perception on things here from what I researched and what I was told...my XSP is only 3 months old and needed a motor replaced, that happens with electronics, motors and code. If worried about beta code and patches ask Bill Gates...he never launched a fully working program in the history of Microsoft...best marketing engine on the planet but couldn't make a OS that worked right on release day...too bad IBM didn't spend more on marketing or OS/2 would be the king of the hill followed by Apple which would still be running superior hardware and RISC/MIPS processors or some next gen version way faster than Intel or AMD could produce.

Sorry, ranting...a little stressed today with everyone else down here panicking about this possible hurricane hit.

Be safe everyone and have a great night!

Normex
I posted the install video and from what I can tll it looks like the main antenna comes off very easily to fit back into the case. Of course i can not say for sure but it sure looks like it.
Those are not quick disconnects on the cables. They are very easy to get loose inside the remote by taking them on and off. Same setup as itelite dbs maxx

Those are not quick disconnects on the cables. They are very easy to get loose inside the remote by taking them on and off. Same setup as itelite dbs maxx
Got dbs max and unscrewing them alot will cost u a remote . I like my new remote

You do not have to remove the cables from the remote, all you do is remove them from the back of the antenna. No need to remove cables from the remote.

screenshot-4hawks.com 2017-09-06 11-13-19.png

You do not have to remove the cables from the remote, all you do is remove them from the back of the antenna. No need to remove cables from the remote.

Concur with this, easily removed from antenna for storage and transport.

How much tolerance in aiming the signal does the Raptor XR antenna offer? Is it like a rifle or a shotgun?

Raptor XR for Autel X-star premium has 65deg beamwidth @ 900MHz and about 35 deg in horizontal @ 5.8GHz.

So the controller doesn’t have to be pointed exactly to the drone.

Reactions: KentA
The Raptor XR was at my post office this morning. Had some time this afternoon and decided to get at it. The install went pretty well. Had one snag and it was my own fault. Forgot to remove one screw and could not figure out why the button module would not come out. Got that figured out and it went pretty smooth after that. Would I recommend you doing the install yourself? Well if you have worked with small stuff like this then its not to hard at all. If you are nervous and shake a lot I say no. Have someone do it for you. Most hobby shops have someone who can do this kind of stuff.

If the weather holds for the week end I will get some tests done and post them here.

It added 570 grams to the weight of the controller. I never use a lanyard but I think I am going to start. :)

20170907_165040.jpg 20170907_165050.jpg

The Raptor XR was at my post office this morning. Had some time this afternoon and decided to get at it. The install went pretty well. Had one snag and it was my own fault. Forgot to remove one screw and could not figure out why the button module would not come out. Got that figured out and it went pretty smooth after that. Would I recommend you doing the install yourself? Well if you have worked with small stuff like this then its not to hard at all. If you are nervous and shake a lot I say no. Have someone do it for you. Most hobby shops have someone who can do this kind of stuff.

If the weather holds for the week end I will get some tests done and post them here.

It added 570 grams to the weight of the controller. I never use a lanyard but I think I am going to start. :)

View attachment 1125 View attachment 1126
Awesome Agustine...glad it went well. Can't wait to see your results while I wait for my bird to come back from AR.

Wow, I can't wait to hear the results too. I'll probably never do it but just knowing how it works and how it's done is cool.

Good luck Agustine, if you start from your place to mine they will sell like hot cakes but really many will be interested in your tryouts, I'm writing this from a hospital bed where I'm at the sleep institute trying to determine if I have sleep apnea, man I must have at least 30 wires connected from my head, some at my thorax and legs, feel like the bionic man. I read on the Raptor on facebook and I now know why Bigbit is at the Interdrone exhibition as they will draw a free Raptor for the unit of your choice :) Btw Agustine the Raptor go fo $139.99 at Caronina Dronz but they are out of stock now.
I hope for them Irma will steer clear.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lmccaskill