Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

X-Star batteries

Canadianxstar

Reaction score
I am looking for feedback on my batteries. They have recently dropped instantaneously from 50% to critical low and forced landed bird. Not just one particular battery but a few of them.
Note when I look at the Starlink app battery screen, it shows battery life at 70% (bottom left of screen). This number is not charge status rather based on something else? Perhaps how many times battery was used or cycled or even age. Regardless, my batteries are all showing about 25 recharges. That does not seem like enough to affect cell life. These batteries are 3 yrs old.
Would me performing full flight times and recharging help ?

This is common when you don't charge/top them up within lets say 24 hours before flight even if they show as full. That's how sudden drops usually happen. It's happened to me with 2 batteries that I charged 48 or so hours before. Autel asked for info and replaced one of them but this sounds like you didn't charge/top them off recently before the flight.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Also, do a search of the forum for "sudden battery drop" and you'll find out a lot about it.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I am looking for feedback on my batteries. They have recently dropped instantaneously from 50% to critical low and forced landed bird. Not just one particular battery but a few of them.
Note when I look at the Starlink app battery screen, it shows battery life at 70% (bottom left of screen). This number is not charge status rather based on something else? Perhaps how many times battery was used or cycled or even age. Regardless, my batteries are all showing about 25 recharges. That does not seem like enough to affect cell life. These batteries are 3 yrs old.
Would me performing full flight times and recharging help ?
This is common when you don't charge/top them up within lets say 24 hours before flight even if they show as full. That's how sudden drops usually happen. It's happened to me with 2 batteries that I charged 48 or so hours before. Autel asked for info and replaced one of them but this sounds like you didn't charge/top them off recently before the flight.
This has happened to me many times, and from my experience Tufargon is exactly right. Top batteries off before flying within 24hrs. If you don’t — sometimes everything is fine, sometimes it suddenly, w/o warning, lands immediately, no matter where it is.....

This has happened to me many times, and from my experience Tufargon is exactly right. Top batteries off before flying within 24hrs. If you don’t — sometimes everything is fine, sometimes it suddenly, w/o warning, lands immediately, no matter where it is.....
I’ve had my XSP for a few years now and have only flown it a few times because of all the threads I’ve read about this happening. i have a question just to be more clear that I thought you might know the answer to. When the critical battery warning kicks in and the drone auto lands, does it just drop down exactly where it is when the warning happens or does it return to the home point? It seems really terrifying if it drops wherever it’s currently at. The few times I’ve flown my XSP I haven't gone more than 20 or so feet in any direction because this is so concerning. Thanks for your time and hopeful reply!

No, it means it has about 20-30 sec of juice left. You can, in that short window, persuade in one direction or another a bit, sometimes enough to get it back from over the ocean to the shore — which happened to me once. Altitude is your friend. It landed just fine, if a long walk away. One time over big waterfall, it didn’t have enough juice to get out of the gorge. It was a newish battery, full charged, as the flight log proved. Autel replaced the drone b/c it was a faulty battery.

I wouldn’t be afraid to fly because of this. Take care of your batteries meticulously, and they’ll take care of you. Occasionally batteries just go bad. Nothing you can do about it....but how often do you fly over terrain that’s totally inaccessible? Or over water? I do both all the time. If it goes down, I go get it. OK, one time I hired a kid to climb down a cliff to get one I crashed from not paying attention!!

I’d worry more about looking where you’re going, and never talk to anyone while flying, :)

Reactions: Tufargon
Well I’ve only flown above my house so far. So I’m afraid to take it above anyone else’s property in case this happened.

Well I’ve only flown above my house so far. So I’m afraid to take it above anyone else’s property in case this happened.
Go find a large open space, and fly around until you get more comfortable. Try different maneuvers, up/down, circle. It took me awhile to get there, as I believe is the case for most of us in the beginning. Baby steps...

On the subject of batteries, does anyone know where I can buy a couple for my xstar pro. Autel has no stock, amazon has none,etc.
thanks
curtis

It seems you are out of luck if you cannot find any old stock. Autel is not bringing any new ones in anymore. The support for the X-Star has gone down the toilet.

Hello

Thanks for reaching out. Im sorry to say that I just got word this morning that we are not getting any more xstar batteries. I did check earlier today with resellers, but I was unsuccessful.

Best,

Brady R. | Commercial Support Agent
www.autelrobotics.com

It seems you are out of luck if you cannot find any old stock. Autel is not bringing any new ones in anymore. The support for the X-Star has gone down the toilet.

Hello

Thanks for reaching out. Im sorry to say that I just got word this morning that we are not getting any more xstar batteries. I did check earlier today with resellers, but I was unsuccessful.

Best,

Brady R. | Commercial Support Agent
www.autelrobotics.com

To autel “commercial support agent”

I just purchased an evo 2 pro, I had planned to give my
3 year old xstar premium to my nephew, and I need new batteries. Autel is dropping all support for xstar less than 3 years after i bought it from Best Buy.I am regretting my purchase of evo 2, for in 3 years from now we may be unable to buy batteries. I should have bought a DJI.
curtis olsen

Reactions: dman and drwuzer
And this is called planned obsolescence!
Rest assured, Autel is not the only one.
My Mitsubisbi, year 2015,, front left wing to change, irreparable, no more parts in stock ....

"Mitsubishi is over": distributors speak out:
The shock is total for the French Mitsubishi network. After a period of euphoria during which the manufacturer multiplied the nominations, comes the time of desolation. The Japanese announced the freezing of launches in Europe, synonymous, for the European network, of desertion.

Last edited:
This is why I'm selling my XSP. With 2 basically new batteries.

I can still get them here in Canad if I want to pay C$179.99.
I still have 4 good ones and maintain them on a weekly basis so not sure if I really want to dump my X-Star just yet. To much money invested in it to let it go for pennies on the dollar. Maybe some day ?

Reactions: Tufargon
I can still get them here in Canad if I want to pay C$179.99.
I still have 4 good ones and maintain them on a weekly basis so not sure if I really want to dump my X-Star just yet. To much money invested in it to let it go for pennies on the dollar. Maybe some day ?

great news
what company has then in stock
thanks
curtis

So what you looking at to replace it with?
I'm not really sure yet. I've been listening closely to you about the Anafi. The Mavic Mini is in the back of my head too but I really don't want to go DJI.

Well Parrot is pulling away from consumer drones so I am not sure if I would go down that route.

I am still considering the Mavic Air 2 just for the great price and 60 FPS. Where I live I really have no NFZ's so their nanny software does not bother me to much.

Well that's good to know. I doubt the NFZ's would be too bothersome here either.
Ok, now you got me on the dang Air 2 now. Gonna have to dish out some of my beer money!!! :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: Jagerbomb52

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials