Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Tampa Sunset - Aerial Spherical 360 Degree Panorama

herein2021

Reaction score
I've got a commercial gig coming up that needs spherical 360 degree panoramas so as usual I decided I'd test the workflow prior to using the EVO II 6K for the project. It performed admirably well but the final verdict is that I will need to use the P4 for this particular project. I need to create an aerial 360 virtual tour and the mobile battery charger for the EVO II 6K simply does not work with my Goal Zero battery pack. Very annoying to say the least, but I wouldn't have enough battery life to complete the project in one day if I used the EVO II 6K without some way to recharge the batteries onsite.

The low distortion sensor made stitching the images very easy, I would blend the sky better if this were for a commercial customer but since it is just a test I didn't bother. You can see the final results here. The quality is actually a lot higher than what you see in the test panorama, but to reduce the loading times the image quality was reduced to 70%.

Tha's pretty nice. What are you using to stitch your panoramas?

I use PTGui Pro for the stitching. But the footage first goes through Lightroom for RAW processing and after PTGui Pro I usually round trip the footage through PhotoShop to hand fix any stitching errors.

With the DJI P4 I used to get a lot of errors due to the wider lens and the amount of drift that the P4 would do in the wind; with the EVO II 6K and the latest version of PTGui Pro the results are much more consistent with less post processing time needed.

I use PTGui Pro for the stitching. But the footage first goes through Lightroom for RAW processing and after PTGui Pro I usually round trip the footage through PhotoShop to hand fix any stitching errors.

With the DJI P4 I used to get a lot of errors due to the wider lens and the amount of drift that the P4 would do in the wind; with the EVO II 6K and the latest version of PTGui Pro the results are much more consistent with less post processing time needed.
Thanks for that. Definitely worth looking into PTGui.

Nice work, if in South Florida please look me up.

Are you in the Miami area? I might be down that way in July to shoot Miami Swim Week.

Thanks for that. Definitely worth looking into PTGui.

Its great for stitching large format landscapes as well. I've used it to stitch 3 shot panos shot with a 16mm from a tripod. It literally takes seconds when you are working with a steady platform like that.

Are you in the Miami area? I might be down that way in July to shoot Miami Swim Week.

Its great for stitching large format landscapes as well. I've used it to stitch 3 shot panos shot with a 16mm from a tripod. It literally takes seconds when you are working with a steady platform like that.
Plantation is in Broward and it is 20 miles from Miami- Just follow the 95 Northbound. Yes - PM Me for info!

I've got a commercial gig coming up that needs spherical 360 degree panoramas so as usual I decided I'd test the workflow prior to using the EVO II 6K for the project. It performed admirably well but the final verdict is that I will need to use the P4 for this particular project. I need to create an aerial 360 virtual tour and the mobile battery charger for the EVO II 6K simply does not work with my Goal Zero battery pack. Very annoying to say the least, but I wouldn't have enough battery life to complete the project in one day if I used the EVO II 6K without some way to recharge the batteries onsite.

The low distortion sensor made stitching the images very easy, I would blend the sky better if this were for a commercial customer but since it is just a test I didn't bother. You can see the final results here. The quality is actually a lot higher than what you see in the test panorama, but to reduce the loading times the image quality was reduced to 70%.
Which goal zero pack do you have?

Based on specs that *should* be working. Only other thought we could come up was maybe the Evo charger is very sensitive to power harmonics? I know Goal Zero says it’s pure sine but maybe it’s not as pure as the wind driven snow :) Unfortunately, my Yeti 1250 is 950 miles away or I would test on it for you and get you a couple more data points.

Only other thought I have is perhaps getting the Evo car charger? Caveat, can you use it in your vehicle if it doesn’t work on the Yeti? The specs on the charger list it as 12.5v and the Yeti only lists 12v for that port. $80 is a bit too much for an experiment…

Attachments

• AEB381D3-FFBA-4317-9FA9-AD5F753E913A.jpeg
    AEB381D3-FFBA-4317-9FA9-AD5F753E913A.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 0
  • 470535EB-87D4-4CAA-B264-774D00FB3CCA.jpeg
    470535EB-87D4-4CAA-B264-774D00FB3CCA.jpeg
    508.8 KB · Views: 0
Based on specs that *should* be working. Only other thought we could come up was maybe the Evo charger is very sensitive to power harmonics? I know Goal Zero says it’s pure sine but maybe it’s not as pure as the wind driven snow :) Unfortunately, my Yeti 1250 is 950 miles away or I would test on it for you and get you a couple more data points.

Only other thought I have is perhaps getting the Evo car charger? Caveat, can you use it in your vehicle if it doesn’t work on the Yeti? The specs on the charger list it as 12.5v and the Yeti only lists 12v for that port. $80 is a bit too much for an experiment…

I can use the wall charger with the Goal Zero but due to the efficiency lost by going through the DC inverter then back to the AC converter I can only charge about 1 flight battery that way. I do still use it this way, but it only gains me one additional flight which is barely better than nothing.

I also have the car charger, but the car charger has a circuit in it that keeps car batteries from dying......the problem is the circuit is way too sensitive and keeps things like the Goal Zero from charging the flight battery. In my wishlist to Autel I put they should include a switch on the Autel EVO car charger that lets you turn off that detection circuitry. It makes no sense that my Goal Zero which should be able to charge about 4 or 5 flight batteries instead can only charge 1 due to their undercurrent detection circuit.

I don't like using the car charger in the car because the car has to be running to power the 12v outlet; this works fine if I'm on the road traveling from place to place but sitting still with the car running for hours to charge 1 flight battery is unrealistic.

You may have better luck with your larger Yeti and the car charger but I wouldn't count on it.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller