Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Car Charger - Pretty Much Useless

herein2021

Reaction score
So for me it is official; the Autel EVO II's car battery charger is 100% useless for the times when I need it. I have written about the fundamental problem with this charger before in my DJI to Autel user experience thread, but today this charger really cost me a lot of extra time and risk.

The problem with this car charger is that it has undercurrent detection circuitry which was designed to prevent users from depleting their vehicle's battery while charging their EVO flight batteries; a valid concern considering the capacity of the flight batteries and the fact some cars let you leave the 12V socket energized even when the car is off. The epic flaw that Autel's engineers completely overlooked is that there are plenty of high capacity battery packs out there with 12V sockets which can easily charge multiple flight batteries yet due to the very sensitive undercurrent protection the charger will block charging from those power sources. I would think it is far more common to recharge a flight battery from a battery pack than from a car.

Today I had a major project, 4 flight batteries and my GoalZero 400 battery pack. I recently replaced the battery in the Goal Zero 400 battery pack and had already successfully recharged EVO II flight batteries with the battery pack in the past so I did not bring the wall outlet charger thinking everything would work as intended. Half way through the project I discovered that once only 20% of the battery capacity in the GoalZero was used, the car charger stopped charging the flight batteries. What this meant was the GoalZero still had enough remaining capacity to recharge 7 more flight batteries (from 35% remaining) yet I couldn't recharge even 1 flight battery before the car charger stopped working.

The GoalZero does have a DC inverter so with the wall charger which does not have this problem I could have recharged additional flight batteries if I had brought it, but that is a very inefficient way to recharge flight batteries. The current starts out DC, then has to be converted to AC, then back to DC which means you lose between 20%-35% of your recharge performance when using a battery pack.

For this particular situation I ended up having to keep the car running and use the car's outlet just to get enough battery life to complete the project. All of this could have been avoided if the car charger had a simple switch on it that allowed users to disable the undercurrent protection. It could even be a breaker style switch which has to be pressed every time the input power is applied. So @Blade Strike if you happen to read this, it would be great if you could provide this feedback to Autel.

From here on out, I'm never relying on the car charger again and will instead bring the wall charger even though it is far less efficient than the car charger for mobile charging. The only time I could see the car charger being slightly useful would be if you are taking a long road trip and stopping along the way to get a few drone pictures.

From here on out, I'm never relying on the car charger again and will instead bring the wall charger even though it is far less efficient than the car charger for mobile charging. The only time I could see the car charger being slightly useful would be if you are taking a long road trip and stopping along the way to get a few drone pictures.
I've never relied on car chargers. I always use a standard charger on an inexpensive inverter when mobile. If I need more than that (rare), it's the EU2200i.

unfortunately that's the only way i have had to use the autel car charger: driving on long road trips with battery charging up as i am speeding along the highway. i have 7 batteries so i have only had to do this once.

Hmmm. I took five batteries to iceland and rotated them on to the Autel car charger as needed. Worked ok.

What did you plug the car charger into? It works fine when plugged into a car for the power source.

I've never relied on car chargers. I always use a standard charger on an inexpensive inverter when mobile. If I need more than that (rare), it's the EU2200i.

But that's not a power source, what do you plug it into for power? I would not want to lug around a car battery or connect something like that to my car. The Goal Zero is all in one (power source and DC Inverter). The car charger is much more efficient than converting from DC to AC then back to DC which is what happens when the wall charger is plugged into a DC inverter power source. I can only recharge approximately 4 flight batteries when using the Goal Zero's built in DC inverter, I can recharge 7 flight batteries when using the car charger plugged into the same Goal Zero. The Mavic Pro's car charger worked great, as did every other DJI car charger I've used before that, this is the first time I've ever had a problem with a drone's car charger.

One thing I've never tested is if the wall charger recharges the flight batteries faster than the car charger. If it does, then that would be one benefit with the tradeoff being fewer flight batteries that can be recharged from a battery pack power source. I have a generator as well but have never needed it for drone work, its mainly for video work when I need continuous lighting without a power source nearby. The GoalZero 400 is all I have ever needed for drone work.

unfortunately that's the only way i have had to use the autel car charger: driving on long road trips with battery charging up as i am speeding along the highway. i have 7 batteries so i have only had to do this once.

My Goal Zero's battery is a traditional sealed lead acid battery and it lasted 7yrs before I had to replace it so my approach has always been to buy as few drone LiPo flight batteries as possible and simply recharge them from the Goal Zero when needed. Not to mention 3 more flight batteries would have cost $600 which is more than the price of my GoalZero. The downside of course is that I cannot fly continuously since the batteries take so long to recharge.

But that's not a power source, what do you plug it into for power?
I plug the inverter into the car's power jack. I'm not talking about hiking with the unit. I then plug an inexpensive multi-charger into the inverter and can charge 2-3 packs at a time (at the same time, not sequentially) if needed + the RC if needed. !2v to 12v would be fine if only one pack ever needs to be on the charger at a time I guess or you have a collection of splitters and chargers.

If the dji chargers worked for you, then it's too bad that Autel's chargers are not up to the task.

Reactions: herein2021
I plug the inverter into the car's power jack. I'm not talking about hiking with the unit. I then plug an inexpensive multi-charger into the inverter and can charge 2-3 packs at a time (at the same time, not sequentially) if needed + the RC if needed. !2v to 12v would be fine if only one pack ever needs to be on the charger at a time I guess or you have a collection of splitters and chargers.

If the dji chargers worked for you, then it's too bad that Autel's chargers are not up to the task.

Got it, my car has a built in inverter but it has to be running to use it and the 12V socket also is not powered unless the car is running. For me the Goal Zero fixed those problems and I was not risking my car battery dying. I will just have to start bringing the wall charger with me and will not be able to charge as many flight batteries as before.

I live in FL so the Goal Zero also has more uses when hurricanes are inbound or right after they have passed than just charging drone batteries so its a good thing to have where I live regardless.

Reactions: Dave Pitman
So for me it is official; the Autel EVO II's car battery charger is 100% useless for the times when I need it. I have written about the fundamental problem with this charger before in my DJI to Autel user experience thread, but today this charger really cost me a lot of extra time and risk.

The problem with this car charger is that it has undercurrent detection circuitry which was designed to prevent users from depleting their vehicle's battery while charging their EVO flight batteries; a valid concern considering the capacity of the flight batteries and the fact some cars let you leave the 12V socket energized even when the car is off. The epic flaw that Autel's engineers completely overlooked is that there are plenty of high capacity battery packs out there with 12V sockets which can easily charge multiple flight batteries yet due to the very sensitive undercurrent protection the charger will block charging from those power sources. I would think it is far more common to recharge a flight battery from a battery pack than from a car.

Today I had a major project, 4 flight batteries and my GoalZero 400 battery pack. I recently replaced the battery in the Goal Zero 400 battery pack and had already successfully recharged EVO II flight batteries with the battery pack in the past so I did not bring the wall outlet charger thinking everything would work as intended. Half way through the project I discovered that once only 20% of the battery capacity in the GoalZero was used, the car charger stopped charging the flight batteries. What this meant was the GoalZero still had enough remaining capacity to recharge 7 more flight batteries (from 35% remaining) yet I couldn't recharge even 1 flight battery before the car charger stopped working.

The GoalZero does have a DC inverter so with the wall charger which does not have this problem I could have recharged additional flight batteries if I had brought it, but that is a very inefficient way to recharge flight batteries. The current starts out DC, then has to be converted to AC, then back to DC which means you lose between 20%-35% of your recharge performance when using a battery pack.

For this particular situation I ended up having to keep the car running and use the car's outlet just to get enough battery life to complete the project. All of this could have been avoided if the car charger had a simple switch on it that allowed users to disable the undercurrent protection. It could even be a breaker style switch which has to be pressed every time the input power is applied. So @Blade Strike if you happen to read this, it would be great if you could provide this feedback to Autel.

I Just use a cheap Duracell inverter it works great

Most of the battery packs like GoalZero have a limited amp draw on the cigarette lighter power sockets and most cars do also. You can purchase a wired socket with battery connection terminals so you can connect it straight to the car battery. I’m unsure this is your problem but I’m 100% sure this works perfect when connected in this configuration.

Have found the autel car charger to work good enough to charge batteries while going from location to location (e.g. vehicle running). With vehicle off, have had ok success, and start the vehicle every now and then (e.g. like when taking short break between flights). At least in warm months challenge is getting batteries to cool before putting on charger without playing games like fast cooling them with dry cooler or something. Usually deploy with up to seven autel batteries which gives time for battery to cool, go on charger and recharge if at just one location. If going from location to location, then batteries can recharge while enroute.

Have found the autel car charger to work good enough to charge batteries while going from location to location (e.g. vehicle running). With vehicle off, have had ok success, and start the vehicle every now and then (e.g. like when taking short break between flights). At least in warm months challenge is getting batteries to cool before putting on charger without playing games like fast cooling them with dry cooler or something. Usually deploy with up to seven autel batteries which gives time for battery to cool, go on charger and recharge if at just one location. If going from location to location, then batteries can recharge while enroute.
Yes that’s how I do it.

Reactions: gschulzuio
Here is what I found out in my experiences:

To charge the Autel batteries with the car charger, you need at least 13.2 volts or more as the input, not 12.0v. (The Autel batteries are 13.2 volts)
A fully charged 12v Car battery is about 12.5 volts.

When you run the car, the alternator usually is running the system at about 14v. So the Autel charger works

You can look for batter packs that provide 13-14v (this are sometime used for Video Cameras) it should work. with the Car Charger

Here is what I found out in my experiences:

To charge the Autel batteries with the car charger, you need at least 13.2 volts or more as the input, not 12.0v. (The Autel batteries are 13.2 volts)
A fully charged 12v Car battery is about 12.5 volts.

When you run the car, the alternator usually is running the system at about 14v. So the Autel charger works

You can look for batter packs that provide 13-14v (this are sometime used for Video Cameras) it should work. with the Car Charger

Not according to their documentation, according to the car charger's documentation it accepts between 12.5V to 17.5V input and it outputs 13.2V to charge the battery.

The Goal Zero 400 outputs exactly 12V on the 12V outlet. You may be on to something though because there is still a 0.5V difference between the two. The Goal Zero will charge part of a single flight battery using the car charger as long as the Goal Zero is at 100% charged so I am still not completely convinced that this is a voltage thing vs an undercurrent protection circuit problem.

But it is entirely possible that the Goal Zero's voltage output drops to slightly below 12V as it drops below 100% capacity. I highly doubt though that it would be possible to find a mobile battery pack that outputs 12.5V+ all the way down to 0% charge remaining; typically tolerances between a 12V power source and a 12V load are not this precise and there is a 1.0V+/- amount of leeway.

At the end of the day the car charger still doesn't perform like the DJI chargers did and is incapable of charging multiple flight batteries using a mobile battery pack.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58