Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Wind, what is your threshold?

mjbok

Reaction score
When deciding to go out and fly I always consider a few things, not the least of which is weather. If it's raining, it's a a no-go. Wind is kind of a weird one. When it's windy I won't fly my Air or (especially) Spark because they tend to get pushed around. The Evo flies fine in wind, but the other day I noticed at full throttle it was barely moving in one direction due to the wind. The H seems to be sturdy enough to fly in a hurricane.

Do you guys have caps on windspeed when you'll fly. Obviously flying in calm conditions is the best, but at what point do you say, "nope, not gonna do it today?"

When deciding to go out and fly I always consider a few things, not the least of which is weather. If it's raining, it's a a no-go. Wind is kind of a weird one. When it's windy I won't fly my Air or (especially) Spark because they tend to get pushed around. The Evo flies fine in wind, but the other day I noticed at full throttle it was barely moving in one direction due to the wind. The H seems to be sturdy enough to fly in a hurricane.

Do you guys have caps on windspeed when you'll fly. Obviously flying in calm conditions is the best, but at what point do you say, "nope, not gonna do it today?"

I probably won't fly at 20 MPH wind. I've flown before at a beach when it was 18 MPH. Evo handled it like a champ.

I also flew one time when it was lightly drizzling outside. It was risky, I guess, but everything turned out okay.

I've gone out in 20mph with my Spark, so with the Evo I wouldn't hesitate if it's 25-30mph.

I've gone out in 20mph with my Spark, so with the Evo I wouldn't hesitate if it's 25-30mph.
I can't imagine the Spark picks up much speed flying into a 20mph wind, but it would fly in sport mode going the other way.

Wind around 15-mph or about keeps me grounded even though I trust my XSP's will handle more. Anything from about 12-mph and up makes me think about staying on the ground.

A couple of times in Hawaii I flew at around 25 mph. It flew amazingly well, and the footage showed no signs of turbulence at all. Landing was impossible, I tried many times. I finally flew into a 4’ pile of weeds...

15 MPH is my limit, and I ALWAYS fly upwind when its above 10 MPH

A couple of times in Hawaii I flew at around 25 mph. It flew amazingly well, and the footage showed no signs of turbulence at all. Landing was impossible, I tried many times. I finally flew into a 4’ pile of weeds...
When I'm landing in wind I usually bring it down to about a foot off the ground in the vicinity of my landing area and gently nudge it until I hit the right spot. And always make sure to have a generous landing area when it's windy.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
When I'm landing in wind I usually bring it down to about a foot off the ground in the vicinity of my landing area and gently nudge it until I hit the right spot. And always make sure to have a generous landing area when it's windy.
Yea, I hear ya. Sometimes when I drive a long distance to fly in a certain spot b/c of good weather, time of day etc, I sometimes find windier conditions than I’d like, but since I drove so far I go for it anyway, lol. Often times the LZ was lava of some kind, flat but rock hard. Thankfully big bunches of soft weeds aren’t too hard to find ... I could get it down to one foot, but tipping over in rock isn’t great for props, so my “Hawaiian” landing style became fairly common in windy places! :)

Yea, I hear ya. Sometimes when I drive a long distance to fly in a certain spot b/c of good weather, time of day etc, I sometimes find windier conditions than I’d like, but since I drove so far I go for it anyway, lol. Often times the LZ was lava of some kind, flat but rock hard. Thankfully big bunches of soft weeds aren’t too hard to find ... I could get it down to one foot, but tipping over in rock isn’t great for props, so my “Hawaiian” landing style became fairly common in windy places! :)
You're probably better off landing on a flat surface, even if the surface is hard. The drone will not tip over (at least, I have never had that issue with my Spark, which is more flimsy than the Evo). Repeatedly landing in weeds isn't good for the props either!

You're probably better off landing on a flat surface, even if the surface is hard. The drone will not tip over (at least, I have never had that issue with my Spark, which is more flimsy than the Evo). Repeatedly landing in weeds isn't good for the props either!
Yea, but when it’s 25 mph+, landing on any surface is almost impossible. Even using RTH, it will hover around 12-18” searching for a place to land for a looong time, never landing. I only crash into weeds when it’s really windy...

I have to chime in on this one. I got mine wed and flew it on thurs ya it was a bit windy A BIT and what I mean is a candle would not blow out, that being said I had it at several diff heights and it was ALL OVER THE PLACE!! bouncing shuttering would NOT STAY EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE to where I had it. I landed it recalibrated EVERYTHING THAT I WAS ALLOWED TOO and it made NO DIFF WHAT SO EVER, so I put my mavic2 up and it did not move it stood ground like a champ, now the reason I went with the EVO was the lack of geo fencing and a few other reasons BUT IF ITS THAT UNSTABLE it unfortunately cant be in my corral, if anyone can help or has ANY CONSTRUCTIVE to say PLEASE I do like this drone but I cant fly it like that.

I have to chime in on this one. I got mine wed and flew it on thurs ya it was a bit windy A BIT and what I mean is a candle would not blow out, that being said I had it at several diff heights and it was ALL OVER THE PLACE!! bouncing shuttering would NOT STAY EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE to where I had it. I landed it recalibrated EVERYTHING THAT I WAS ALLOWED TOO and it made NO DIFF WHAT SO EVER, so I put my mavic2 up and it did not move it stood ground like a champ, now the reason I went with the EVO was the lack of geo fencing and a few other reasons BUT IF ITS THAT UNSTABLE it unfortunately cant be in my corral, if anyone can help or has ANY CONSTRUCTIVE to say PLEASE I do like this drone but I cant fly it like that.
You should check to make sure you have the latest firmware. There may be something wrong with your EVO or its calibrations. My EVO is really steady and doesn't bounce around at all. I previously had a Typhoon G and I feel the EVO is much better in the wind, especially landing.

You should check to make sure you have the latest firmware. There may be something wrong with your EVO or its calibrations. My EVO is really steady and doesn't bounce around at all. I previously had a Typhoon G and I feel the EVO is much better in the wind, especially landing.
thanks FletchGeek I do have the latest firmware ive done every calibration avail, I have noticed landing it is a lot faster than the mavic ALOT FASTER LOL. im going to look at other videos and how thier's is handling the wind but this MIGHT BE a deal breaker for me.

thanks FletchGeek I do have the latest firmware ive done every calibration avail, I have noticed landing it is a lot faster than the mavic ALOT FASTER LOL. im going to look at other videos and how thier's is handling the wind but this MIGHT BE a deal breaker for me.

My evo is fairly steady as well. Way more than my Air and Spark.

I carry an anemometer and look at UAV forecast for an idea of speeds around 200 ft, if the anemometer reads 20mph gusts I will likely abort flight, though AJ Alvarez has a video where he flies a tello on the beach as hurricane Michael was passing by, I would say 25-30 mph winds and this thing was flying great, a couple of anxious moments but overall impressive. I have flown my inspire in 25 mph winds and was flawless, but if yo loose GPS you might just be screwed.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo