Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Inconsistent flight speed

dronescope59

Reaction score
Finding the flight speed is inconsistent most of the time, especially against the wind, I realize the craft is going to be slower but the drone speeds up and slows down constantly. Have 8 big boy drones and none of them do this. Even my Mini 3 Pro flies better against the wind. ALL my drones fly at a CONSISTENT slower speed against the wind. The Lite+ is just a dog with any kind of wind in it's face. Anyone else experience this?

• Sad
Reactions: Eagle928
This drone is really awful against any kind of wind. Flew a distance with a 25mph constant wind at my back this afternoon. Knew she would struggle on the way back so activated RTH with 70% battery left. CRAWLING back at around 10-12 mph, she never made it home. Grabbed it around quarter mile away. My Mini 3 Pro is WAAAAYYYYY better in the wind. Love the picture you get with this drone but she is so unpredictable.

• Sad
Reactions: aryehb and Eagle928
Seems like this drone should have the power to fight the 26 mph it's rated for with ease. Basically the rule of thumb is you take the top speed in Ludicrous mode, subtract the wind speed, and that's how fast it should go against the wind. I know it's impossible to accurately tell what the wind speed is but we can guesstimate with weather reports and some common sense.

The Nano had a problem with this too. It's better than it was but not nearly as good as the competition.

Reactions: herein2021
It would be great to put the Nano+ camera on a Mini 3 Pro and the Lite camera on an Air 2s. I think that would be about as close to camera drone perfection as we can get with the current technology.

Reactions: surenmunoo
Seems like this drone should have the power to fight the 26 mph it's rated for with ease. Basically the rule of thumb is you take the top speed in Ludicrous mode, subtract the wind speed, and that's how fast it should go against the wind. I know it's impossible to accurately tell what the wind speed is but we can guesstimate with weather reports and some common sense.

The Nano had a problem with this too. It's better than it was but not nearly as good as the competition.

I think that rule of thumb is too generous, I tend to take the top speed in Ludicrous mode, divide that in half, subtract 10% and that is your actual wind handling capability. Not only because the wind handling ratings are overrated, but also because a constant wind can easily have gusts more than double that and also because wind direction can make things even more unpredictable.

Most people think a headwind is the most difficult but IMO a crosswind is more battery draining; at least a headwind conserves battery power when flying in the opposite direction; with a crosswind the drone is fighting it in both directions.

When flying as a hobbyist in strong winds I always fly upwind and never let the drone pass its RTH point on the return flight to keep from losing the drone. When flying commercially, I just reschedule if it is too windy.

A trick to know precisely what the drone can handle on that given day is to point the drone into the wind prior to takeoff, takeoff vertically and apply full throttle into the wind; if the drone drifts backwards land immediately; if it only proceeds forward by a few miles per hour also land immediately, if its forward momentum can exceed 15mph then you will probably be ok. Perform the test around 20' off the ground then perform the test again at 100' AGL because wind tends to get stronger the higher up you are; in over 20yrs of flying various things I have never lost any of them due to wind and I live in FL where we have strong constant winds over open ocean and near the coasts all the time.

Reactions: Eagle928
Было бы здорово установить камеру Nano + на Mini 3 Pro, а камеру Lite - на Air 2s. Я думаю, что это было бы настолько близко к совершенству камеры беспилотника, насколько мы можем достичь с помощью современных технологий.
и вы также забыли вставить с помощью light и nano communication 5.2, NFZ и высотой до 2600

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuvNtiTTays