Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Why aren't pilots involved with design?

San2C

Reaction score
The more I fly my EVO, the more I see myself getting into a high end UAV at some point. The aircraft is great, but the fact that the controller has set input curves that are not optimal for video, that you can't tweak, is really irritating. This is most true in ludicrous mode where sure, you have speed, but you also have corresponding high speed in yaw, rendering any kind compound camera movement (in most situations) impossible. Standard mode isn't much better. At least Yuneec gives the ability to adjust input curves. How hard can that be?

At the very least, they could have given presets to choose from. Otherwise, yaw is like an on/off switch unless you're in precision mode.

Reactions: Autel Del
You can adjust yaw in the EXP setting. If you really want to be able to do everything in adjusting all of your controls you have to go freestyle and get yourself a custom quad that runs Betaflight. This way you can adjust pretty much everything you want and set up rate profiles that you can select from your controller. You are at the mercy of development, the luxury and ease of flying your drone comes at price.

The more I fly my EVO, the more I see myself getting into a high end UAV at some point. The aircraft is great, but the fact that the controller has set input curves that are not optimal for video, that you can't tweak, is really irritating. This is most true in ludicrous mode where sure, you have speed, but you also have corresponding high speed in yaw, rendering any kind compound camera movement (in most situations) impossible. Standard mode isn't much better. At least Yuneec gives the ability to adjust input curves. How hard can that be?

At the very least, they could have given presets to choose from. Otherwise, yaw is like an on/off switch unless you're in precision mode.

Yuneec, Parrot and DJI all allow this so ya its not very hard to do at all and just needs to be added to the Explorer App like all the other manufactures have.

Reactions: G_G
You can adjust yaw in the EXP setting.

I only see EXP setting for pitch. Am I missing something?

Yuneec, Parrot and DJI all allow this so ya its not very hard to do at all and just needs to be added to the Explorer App like all the other manufactures have.

Yeah, I have pretty decent control settings in my Parrot, and my Typhoon H was amazing in that regard. Hopefully they add it and also give us a way to disable the A & B buttons, haha.

I only see EXP settings for Yaw.

OH HOW badly I'd like to see them disable the A & B buttons!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190706-163316.png
    Screenshot_20190706-163316.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: G_G and San2C
I'd like know what other people are observing for EXP settings. Am I missing something in a way to access EXP settings for other axis?
Not using ludicrous mode the yaw expo makes for a really smooth pan, but it would be nice to smooth out the roll and pitch axis. Anyone??

Actually, there IS a right/left curve that you can edit but it's not where pitch EXP is.

Attachments

• IMG_3403.jpg
    IMG_3403.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 11
Based on your statement WHERE is the pitch EXP?
You have posted the same screen shot that I posted two posts up, just with a different value.
Both of which indicate Rotate Right & Rotate Left. To me this indicates a Yaw movement, but could possibly be construed as a roll movement, (doubtful).This adjustment definitely effects yaw stick input but does not seem to effect roll or pitch.

Unfortunately, cinematic turns and yaw movements with the stellar EVO camera are nearly impossible because of the lack of fine tuning over the yaw movement. It whips around when you least expect it, ruining the video move. Hopefully, Autel will realize this, too, and give us the fine tuning control we require and have been requesting for over a year.

Gimbal Pitch EXP hardly has anything to do with the three axis of the drone I thought we were posting about, but I now understand the reference.

It whips around when you least expect it, ruining the video move.

That was my initial complaint, but it appears there IS a way to soften stick input with the right/left EXP setting.

Gimbal Pitch EXP hardly has anything to do with the three axis of the drone I thought we were posting about, but I now understand the reference.

Huh? The 3 axis are pitch, roll, and yaw.

That was my initial complaint, but it appears there IS a way to soften stick input with the right/left EXP setting.
It can be softened, but not nearly enough to solve the problem. It needs to be able to be softened far further, like DJI does. Unfortunately for Autel, DJI has already set the standard for what to expect out of yaw control on a drone used for cinematic video, even on their cheapest $100 drone.

Reactions: jafemu1
Huh? The 3 axis are pitch, roll, and yaw.

Like I said, the 3 axis of the EVO, (pitch, roll and yaw) has nothing to do with the pitch EXP of the Gimbal which is controlled by the scroll wheel on the top left of the TX. It also doesn't seem to be impacted during flight or be influenced by the IMU.

Autel doesn't seem to think or change anything their 3 or 4 test pilots never experience. Like chasing a car or a boat in ludicrous mode and being able to yaw smoothly or going beyond 120 pictures/videos numerically or accidentally hitting the A button while framing a shot. The logic behind some of these simple things seems lost.

Reactions: G_G
It can be softened, but not nearly enough to solve the problem. It needs to be able to be softened far further, like DJI does. Unfortunately for Autel, DJI has already set the standard for what to expect out of yaw control on a drone used for cinematic video, even on their cheapest $100 drone.

That's not true at all. I set a left/right curve today and was able to match & maintain my yaw to full speed flight in ludicrous mode at 3 different altitudes. DJI, hahaha.

180 feet:
260 feet:
400 feet:

Autel doesn't seem to think or change anything their 3 or 4 test pilots never experience. Like chasing a car or a boat in ludicrous mode and being able to yaw smoothly or going beyond 120 pictures/videos numerically or accidentally hitting the A button while framing a shot. The logic behind some of these simple things seems lost.

Those A & B buttons, man. Just awful.

Reactions: RCAdik
That's not true at all. I set a left/right curve today and was able to match & maintain my yaw to full speed flight in ludicrous mode at 3 different altitudes. DJI, hahaha.

180 feet:
260 feet:
400 feet:

Those A & B buttons, man. Just awful.
Try a more aggressive turn, much closer to your subject and you will see what the known issue is. Altitude is irrelevant. A slow orbit or even a fixed yaw is fine, but as soon as you turn more sharply, it takes off and whips. DJI yaw expo can be set down to 10%. EVO can only be set to 20%. The numbers don't lie. The buttons are, indeed, awful!

You're saying distance doesn't matter, but then you're saying it does matter. I'm more than good with it. Not interested in the least in DJI.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GLOBODRONE