Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

What kind of winds can these fly in?

Hilander

Reaction score
I downloaded a UAV forecast map and wanted to take my X Star Premium out today and said I was good to go. Yet with 15 mph winds and 25 mph gusts it said it was ok. Wouldn't she be a bear to keep steady? Is this app a reliable tools to use? Thanks

I'm relatively new to drones. What I have found is that flying in winds greater that 10/15mph isn't that hard but landing is. In wind I try to take off and land close to a something that blocks the wind. Sometimes I use my vehical to make a wind block, or an area of trees that block the wind. But mostly above 12ish mph I just don't fly.

I look at it this way: one bad crash and my drone flying Is over. I can't afford to replace this thing so I'm a little over cautious perhaps.

If it is gusting 25 yes it will not be to steady. It will though handle it but your battery will not last as long trying to fight the wind. If you go down wind remember it takes a lot more battery power to come back fighting the wind. I would not try to fly in close quarters of buildings as the wind could slam you into one.

Reactions: Hilander
I'm relatively new to drones. What I have found is that flying in winds greater that 10/15mph isn't that hard but landing is. In wind I try to take off and land close to a something that blocks the wind. Sometimes I use my vehical to make a wind block, or an area of trees that block the wind. But mostly above 12ish mph I just don't fly.

I look at it this way: one bad crash and my drone flying Is over. I can't afford to replace this thing so I'm a little over cautious perhaps.

I live in the middle of a corn field this year with about an acre of clear takeoff space. Afraid if I do something stupid and it goes in the cornfield finding it will be hard.

When I flew rc airplanes I had bought a product called "Air Alert" that sensed if the aircraft had no movement for a certain amount of time an audible buzzer would go off. Do they make anything like that for these to find them better in case of a crash?

Depending on how much you want to spend there are a lot of options out there. I had the trackimo but it was only 2G and would not work very well on my network but they have the 3G out now so it is much better. But if you don't want to spend that much look over your options here:
https://www.amazon.com/GPS-Trackers/b?ie=UTF8&node=617650011

Depending on how much you want to spend there are a lot of options out there. I had the trackimo but it was only 2G and would not work very well on my network but they have the 3G out now so it is much better. But if you don't want to spend that much look over your options here:
https://www.amazon.com/GPS-Trackers/b?ie=UTF8&node=6176500

Where would you attach one of those on the drone without throwing the balance off

People have 3D printed brackets for sale that fit on one of the legs. They are not so heavy to through it off balance.

Hilander you may want to check mark the follow through setting which will do a trace of your flight until hopefully not if it crashes or similar. With this trace you will be able to go within a few hundred feet of the craft. Agustine please tell him the correct setting as I'm not 100% certain.

Reactions: CRA and Hilander
Hilander, another thing you might want to learn that will help you in the future is to catch the drone when you have it in control, you have to be careful for the spinning props , you let it hover close to you then catch it by the legs and shut it by lowering the left handle completely, it will shut down. My first ever landing with the bird was by hand catching. It is useful when the terrain is to rough to land or in some wind but not the gusty type. You should bookmark this section as you have indispensable help for flying your drone safely.

Good Luck

I downloaded a UAV forecast map and wanted to take my X Star Premium out today and said I was good to go. Yet with 15 mph winds and 25 mph gusts it said it was ok. Wouldn't she be a bear to keep steady? Is this app a reliable tools to use? Thanks
You can set the wind amounts, temperature, etc...on UAV

You're welcome Hilander, did you manage to fly any?
And come to think of it Agustine maybe we ought to use the info on this thread to formulate a template for all the new users and have it posted as a sticky ?

I put the flight route to the on position, your right I believe this will be very helpful in so many ways. I also updated the firmware to the latest beta version and did some flying with it Sunday evening and found it to be so much better. The only thing I still have to do is catching the drone as you have suggested.

I put the flight route to the on position, your right I believe this will be very helpful in so many ways. I also updated the firmware to the latest beta version and did some flying with it Sunday evening and found it to be so much better. The only thing I still have to do is catching the drone as you have suggested.
Be aware when catching it not to tilt it out of level hover or pull it down until the motors have come to a stop. From my experience, doing so will make the motors speed up to compensate (it doesn't know you are holding it) and could delay shut-down. The best way is to have another person grab it and pull both sticks back and in. On mine just pulling the left stick back to the "stop" takes too long. Without a second person the single left pull back is the best choice. Good luck!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bailey54