Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Tilted camera

Bre

Reaction score
Hey,

Since a few months I have the autel Evo, and I never had a big problem with it. It went in for repair, because I crashed it. But is has been flying good ever since. But since I moved to Cape Verde Africa the camera is always tilted. I can't seem to fix the problem.

Attached youll find foto's of the live view.

Hope somebody can help me.

P.S. update has been done and so have I tried recalibration.

Kind regards,

BreScreenshot_20190508-125744.jpgScreenshot_20190508-125726.jpg

The calibrations that you did were done in a flat calibrated surface? Who did the repairs after the crash?

The calibrations that you did were done in a flat calibrated surface? Who did the repairs after the crash?

Hey Ansia,

The problem is as following.
The calibration happens on a flat surface as much as possible. The problem doesn't seem to go away. I tried in on the floor in the house no effect. I tried it on the fridge, seems to have succes. But as soon as I pick up the drone and put on on the ground. The roll needs to be adjusted. Back on the fridge, levelish again.

The repair has been done by autel them selves.

Kind regards,

Bre

It may sound silly, but going to ask anyways. How level is the floor? Have you tried outside? Did you contact Autel about this?

It may sound silly, but going to ask anyways. How level is the floor? Have you tried outside? Did you contact Autel about this?

Not silly at all. You're trying to help and I appreciate that.

The floor should be level as this is a building. But I can check with some equipment. I've tried outside on benches and other stuff. The problem comes back when I restart the drone. Like the drone thinks that is level as part of his self check. I can try to reload the software.... As for the contact with autel. I'm going to contact them tomorrow as they seem out of the office today.

You can go into settings and adjust the Gimbal roll.

Hey Wayne,

Thanks for your reply. I'm in contact with autel now to see if I can fix it. To answer your question. I can correct it with adjust gimbal roll, but I don't want to do that after every restart of the drone. It shouldn't do that right?

Hey Wayne,

Thanks for your reply. I'm in contact with autel now to see if I can fix it. To answer your question. I can correct it with adjust gimbal roll, but I don't want to do that after every restart of the drone. It shouldn't do that right?
Correct. It should auto level on it's own. I've done calibration on a not so leveled surface and it made the entire flight tilted, until I calibrated correctly. You can try to redo the firmware in hopes that fixes the problem. The latest firmware made my Evo's camera tilted, but was quickly fixed with a calibration. If the camera is under warranty, perhaps Autel will repair it for free.

Correct. It should auto level on it's own. I've done calibration on a not so leveled surface and it made the entire flight tilted, until I calibrated correctly. You can try to redo the firmware in hopes that fixes the problem. The latest firmware made my Evo's camera tilted, but was quickly fixed with a calibration. If the camera is under warranty, perhaps Autel will repair it for free.

They are doing an extended calibration with me on a surface level... Hope that helps. I'll try to reload the software... And if that fails... Its up to autel. The drone is 5 months old at this time. It crashed but it got a clean bill of health by the autel repair team... Maybe something went wrong? But it's just the roll access. The gimbal seems fine, but I don't know.

Shipping definitely won't be cheap. Luckily I normally live in the Netherlands. It's slightly cheaper. And if autel can't fix it from distance, I can ship it that way.

They are doing an extended calibration with me on a surface level... Hope that helps. I'll try to reload the software... And if that fails... Its up to autel. The drone is 5 months old at this time. It crashed but it got a clean bill of health by the autel repair team... Maybe something went wrong? But it's just the roll access. The gimbal seems fine, but I don't know.
There have in the past been reports of the gimbal cal needed to be done 3-4 times in a row. Level surface both directions is a must. Hopeing you get it corrected.

There have in the past been reports of the gimbal cal needed to be done 3-4 times in a row. Level surface both directions is a must. Hopeing you get it corrected.

What do you mean by being level in both Directions? I'll find something to make it perfect level. I'll also put the software on a SD card and run it through every battery. The weird thing is, after a calibration the gimbal goes from totally stopped, to up, down, left, right, but at such a speed it bangs to all sides which end up shaking the gimbal completely... Don't know if that is normal?

What do you mean by being level in both Directions? I'll find something to make it perfect level. I'll also put the software on a SD card and run it through every battery. The weird thing is, after a calibration the gimbal goes from totally stopped, to up, down, left, right, but at such a speed it bangs to all sides which end up shaking the gimbal completely... Don't know if that is normal?
Do you mean the boot sequence? If so, I think it's normal. I'm currently uploading my Evo's boot sequence. Once it's done I will post it here so you can compare.

Reactions: Bre
Do you mean the boot sequence? If so, I think it's normal. I'm currently uploading my Evo's boot sequence. Once it's done I will post it here so you can compare.

This happens after the calibration test. During a boot up there is no wildly shaking.

This happens after the calibration test. During a boot up there is no wildly shaking.
ohhh, then my video is useless... Yes, from my experience the calibration test is a little bit more rough than the normal boot sequence. As long as it doesn't get stuck doing the dance, you should be allright.

Anyways, here is the video. Yes I know, I have to clean that table. It's on my to do list for this weekend.

ohhh, then my video is useless... Yes, from my experience the calibration test is a little bit more rough than the normal boot sequence. As long as it doesn't get stuck doing the dance, you should be allright.

Anyways, here is the video. Yes I know, I have to clean that table. It's on my to do list for this weekend.

Thanks for the video. I'll do everything I said I would do tomorrow or in the next few days.... Work is killing me right now. And I'll report back what autel is saying. They are in the loop on this.

Reactions: Ansia
If you judge by the video you posted, the table top looks crooked and the Evo gimbal seems to be level with the legs of the Evo.

Another thing you might try is the compass calibration since you changed location geographically.

What you want to see is if the gimbal squared section of the lens is about even with the horizontal level of the craft. If you watch closely, you see that square in the lens tilt side to side as it calibrates. Then it levels.

When I was traveling I notice my MP and EVO both had gimbal alignments off a couple degrees. I didn't recal the compass because I was just from N states to S states. What I did was use the Gimbal Roll about 1.5 deg to compensate in all the Southern states I visited (Fla and Carolinas). When I returned to Oh, it was back to normal. Going back to Fla again in a couple weeks so I'll have to see if Compass recal straightens it out.

Last edited:
If you judge by the video you posted, the table top looks crooked and the Evo gimbal seems to be level with the legs of the Evo.

Another thing you might try is the compass calibration since you changed location geographically.
The video was posted by me and the table is leveled. It gives the impression of it not being, because it's glass (which reflects and changes perspective) and because the camera man (me) isn't very good. I tried firing him, but didn't have enough grounds to do so.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo