Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

The New Upcoming Autel Robotics EVO 2 Discussion Thread

Anybody been reading some of the posts over on the RCGroups page about the EVO 2? Seems to be some talk that the 8K sensor is not true 8K View attachment 6034
Over my head but here is part of the conversation:

Having looked at more info today it’s VERY much looking like the 8K is smoke and mirrors, they appear they are using the IMX586 in the 8K model and they are playing the same marketing game as a few phone manufacturers tried last year and got burned over as it’s borderline dishonest imo.

It’s not 8K or True 8K its using Quad Bayer filter and the realty is very different.

Now the 1” model on the other hand is looking interesting and appear to be using the IMX383 that is a fantastic stable to start from.

It’s been pretty much university accepted by any camera review, site or technical overview that it’s not apples for apples and 46mp Quad Bayer is not delivering 46mp equivalent of resolution in real world.

Up to now every drone from all manufactures has used the expected method of labelling the sensor output of effective pixels.

The problem with a Quad Bayer is while yes there are 46MP of actual pixels below the filter these are not separate colour sites and they are basically splitting each colour so Into 4, your reading each rather than just once in a bayer grid.

It really is like having 2 sensors in one than doubling the resolution.

It’s still really only 12MP of actual separate usable detail pixels, yes the software will try to create something to give this 8k output however the downsides are noise and lack of detail or MOIR.

In Toms Tech video this can already be seen in the blacks and darks and he also comments on the lack of expected detail.

This should have been marketed for its lossless zoom and low light than really pushing the headline figure.

What I really don’t like is this will now muddy the waters for people trying to compare say the EVO 2 to the Anafi, Mavic or Skydio, once this road starts is just messy for all.

The 1” sensor model is looking like the only one I would even consider, the look of this thing is a little on steroids but it’s growing a little. It’s a dam big battery that’s for sure.
Interesting, so the 8k version is nothing more than marketing and just a 4k camera with some enhancements over to appear that is 8k. But to be honest with you, even if it's not a true 8k camera, the fact that has sensors everywhere and the extended range it's enough to cost $1445.

Some of the things that sold me:

- 40 min flight time
- 12 sensors
- 3 different changeable cameras
- 9k distance
- Although small, lcd screen in case app crashes you can still see the downlink.

Very excited about the FLIR camera with usable resolution for SAR, police, fire etc... unlike DJI's FLIR equiped Mavic 2

Kinda ugly, but it will do the job i need it to do

Attachments

• 20200109_113554.jpg
    20200109_113554.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Anyway, the 8k is too heavy to work, you need equipment to match and at what price (not everyone is called Caslos Ghosn)
The most interesting (for me) and the 4k block with the 1 "sensor. This is the type of camera I have on the Yuneec and I can say that the quality is there. At the shooting, the colors and the sharpness of the image is good and I do not have any color retouching to redo after, most of the time.

So think of the 8k as upconversion the way a native 4k tv or bluray player does for 1080p but 4k to 8k maybe? "Anyone" can see the difference especially side by side. Theres no substitute for the real thing:(
That's REALLY disappointing to hear as it fits in the DJI 1" Mavic 2 Pro category mess. It may be fair for other companies to call them out but in my opinion DJI should keep their mouths shut. Regardless this is NOT a good path for drone companies to be on. It's annoying enough with claimed flight times and ranges. In general the consumer really cares about image quality which is the major selling point at this price range.
Now the drone itself should be better than the Evo 1 in almost every way including image quality and is a nice step up for the asking price. Those in the know will wait for the 1" Pro and buy the 8k camera if they need it.
Took a look at the "which Evo 2 will you buy" poll at Tom's tech time and think it was about 90% Pro. Will be very interesting how Autel markets them. Will they toss in any extras with the pro remains to be seen. If they did that cost wise you get more bang for buck but it could cut into 8k sales and those are out the door first. Remains to be seen when you can buy either camera separately.
My advice at this moment would be to wait for the Pro rugged version if you can to get the best deal. If you dont care about the rugged case or saving a few bucks then pre-order it ASAP. The 8k camera will likely be available separately by the time the rugged deal is available.
Will not be surprised if it takes months to buy the 1" camera as there are going to be a ton of pre-orders and Autel will end up with the Skydio 2 problem. Lots of unhappy 1st batch Skydio customers still waiting for a notice that they can put in their actual order last time I looked.

It may be true that the 8K camera be a glorified 4K, but I would take the entire statement, which camefrom a troll, with a grain of salt. One thing you can be sure, this 8K camera will be better than anything in it's class currently. If you are skeptical, then skip it and wait for the 6K 1" camera. On paper it sounds that it will be great, but I have only seen footage of the 8K and FLIR cameras, so at the moment I can't comment on it.

All that being said, Autel has been known to stretch the truth in the past, or have you guys forgotten about the 1" sensor Evo 1, the supposely 10-bit log the Evo can make or the 30 minutes flight time?

• Love
Reactions: macoman and Pman
IF the 8k is as stated it's still a big deal and other companies are going to have to prove what they offer is currently better or introduce a new one and do the same.
I can disdain the game playing between companies and customers but I also know that it's not going to stop just because of me. Have to remind myself sometimes that almost everything is about the $;)

If it is the same Sony 1 "sensor as the H520, it is a good deal to follow and in this case I would opt for this model. And at least I could keep my material for the assemblies.

It may be true that the 8K camera be a glorified 4K, but I would take the entire statement, which camefrom a troll, with a grain of salt. One thing you can be sure, this 8K camera will be better than anything in it's class currently. If you are skeptical, then skip it and wait for the 6K 1" camera. On paper it sounds that it will be great, but I have only seen footage of the 8K and FLIR cameras, so at the moment I can't comment on it.
All that being said, Autel has been known to stretch the truth in the past, or have you guys forgotten about the 1" sensor Evo 1, the supposely 10-bit log the Evo can make or the 30 minutes flight time?
Agree brother, we will have to see how really perform the 8k model in real world scenario... I need to see a deep analysis and review of the 8k model using all the features available.

Reactions: Ansia
Hint at Sony IMX586 and IMX383 is even in the user manual. Their specs are here: Exmor - Wikipedia

586 provides usually better IQ than a normal 12Mpx sensor, but it is not has a true 4x pixel resolution due how it works.

Attachments

• AA790E3C-BFA2-41A7-8071-DA5D00155D1D.jpeg
    AA790E3C-BFA2-41A7-8071-DA5D00155D1D.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 6
Hint at Sony IMX586 and IMX383 is even in the user manual. Their specs are here: Exmor - Wikipedia

586 provides usually better IQ than a normal 12Mpx sensor, but it is not has a true 4x pixel resolution due how it works.
Can you explain it in further details, so dumb people like me can understand. I saw what wikipedia said and it specifies as a 8K, 48MP camera.

Reactions: Pman and macoman
Too bad the gimbal doesn't pitch up.
Would really like to read the entire manual. Sounds like all the test units sent out didnt come with any.

Reactions: Ansia
That was an interesting and educational sensor explanation.
Just printed the Evo 2 manual? I'm into hard copies.

A quick glance at the manual specs reveals multiple errors such as Max. Take-off weight, flight time, Bit rate, sd card storage capacity, transmission distance. These are easy fixes. The 500g weight is definately wrong as it also says 13oz which is 369g which makes sense. My guess is they did a copy/paste and the manual isnt a high priority.

A quick glance at the manual specs reveals multiple errors such as Max. Take-off weight, flight time, Bit rate, sd card storage capacity, transmission distance. These are easy fixes. The 500g weight is definately wrong as it also says 13oz which is 369g which makes sense. My guess is they did a copy/paste and the manual isnt a high priority.

This manual was submitted to FCC in late november. For sure there will be an updated one on official website of Autel later.

Bought the evo 1, plus on the go bundle for 999 tax included! never film in 4k, just 1080 60fps, photos are really not that good, range and transmission quality im disappointed! had the mavic 2 zoom, was much better in everything except prohibition to fly wherever you want! honestly i would wait to see what dji brings next year! though im 80% satisfied with my evo! complains: photo quality, remote control quality, range! thumbs up: software, ease of flying, overall quality and price!

DJI only unlocks the GEO system for law enforcement. Unless they were willing to unlock aircraft for the general public they have lost me for future purchases. I currently fly a pair of Mavic 2 Pro's almost daily for work. Most of the time the system unlocks for flight but I have had instances where they would not unlock because the DJI servers were down. I show up for a Job, the customer is standing there waiting, I have my FAA clearance and I can't get in the air. One time I was flying at larger airport that was closed for maintenance. I was doing a crack survey of the surface. I had a 4 hour window to complete all of my flying before the airport was reopened. Things started out ok. I had planned to do 6 battery swaps to complete the job but 1/2 way through the aircraft refused to unlock at startup. The servers went down and I was grounded for 30 minutes. Thankfully DJI got their servers backup and I was able to complete the mission before the airport opened. In 2019 I flew a total of 450 real estate jobs. Many of these required unlocking prior to flying. Sometimes the unlocking is easy. Sometimes I have to do it many times before it will unlock. It's very frustrating and that's why I am here. I really like the 1" sensor on the M2P and am hoping the Evo 2 Pro will be similar without the unlock problems.

The one that gets locked down is the drone and not the app. He would still experience geofencing lockdown no matter which app he uses.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58