Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

The best EVO promo video ever

YuKay

Reaction score
I knew the EVO was good but I hadn't realised it was this good. Truly jaw-dropping broadcast-quality footage plus amazing editing from a very professional crew.

From the description:

Shot at 4k60fps (final output was at 24fps)
H.265
PolarPro ND Filters
LOG color profile
Colored in Adobe Premiere

Ok... How'd they take off from a boat? This was actually a topic started by another member. You can't get the motors spinning if the gimbal is rocking... Definitely want to know how they did that!

You could post the question in their YouTube comments. Maybe they took off from shore for those shots?

So, what did you think of the video? Pretty fine for $999, or even $899, wouldn't you say?

Reactions: mutuels
You could post the question in their YouTube comments. Maybe they took off from shore for those shots?

So, what did you think of the video? Pretty fine for $999, or even $899, wouldn't you say?

He's already hitting them up about it he said.. I Love the videos coming from the EVO. Another member on here Franlac also has some Promo worthy videos. Beautiful scenery, has a youTube channel too. Excellent work. Was one of the people that inspired me to buy my EVO instead of another brand. I was impressed with the precision it took to get some of those shots... And lucky for me, the camera does most of the work because I don't have a photographer's eye. And the ND filters make it look great... SO EASY...
Plus, I got a KILLER deal for the Holidays. Basically a Rugged Bundle w/4 batteries+soft bag+extra Props+ND filters and extra Gimbal cover for $1270. It looks AWESOME in that case, and the softy is my Camera and everything else bag now. I was almost going to get a Mavic 2 Zoom... I'm happy I saw Franlac's work when I did.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Very, very nice video, great flying, shooting, editing. There’s SO MUCH gorgeous scenery in NZ. I’m jealous as hell b/c they got permission to fly over an active volcanic area, something Hawaii just won’t do unless you’re PBS, Nat Geo, BBC, etc. NZ is strict about flying in their numerous National Parks too, even in helicopters, so wheels were greased to do this...

It’s a beautiful country, super-nice folks, lot’s of rain, volcanos and earthquakes, we felt right at home — if a lot cooler than Hawaii. We talked of moving there, BUT, driving on the other side of the road? Really, really hard to get used to — as I told a nice cop who pulled me over in Whanganui...

Reactions: KentA and YuKay

I called support about the video and the boat launch. I was told that the seas were "extremely calm" and that's the only way they were able to take off. In the video at 2:50 you can see the water and yes, it's pretty calm but there are small wavelets - there is a breeze - and the boat is moving very slightly. In addition, for the next 2 minutes or so in the video there is more footage of their boat sailing... with wind, and waves, in the ocean.
In a follow-up email I asked if ALL of that footage was shot with the Evo or with the X-Star or something else. If all of the aerial video of the sailboat was shot with an Evo I really need to know how because right now I basically have a cool $1000 orange paperweight.

I'm hoping someone can tell me how they launched or maybe they confess and tell me they are using some beta firmware, etc.

Finally, and I'll say this again... it's not just about launching from a boat. The real issue is that it's NOT POSSIBLE to launch by hand while standing on dry land no matter how still you hold the drone.

Reactions: UnRanged
Other then a place i have not seen before the video was just so so. Not the jaw-dropping broadcast-quality footage the OP said it was. Along with all the laws they might have broke but no one really knows for sure. Seems like B-Roll is the new lets get our product out there and Autel has jumped on board. Thought I was watching a Peter McKinnon B-roll video LOL

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Other then a place i have not seen before the video was just so so. Not the jaw-dropping broadcast-quality footage the OP said it was. Along with all the laws they might have broke but no one really knows for sure. Seems like B-Roll is the new lets get our product out there and Autel has jumped on board. Thought I was watching a Peter McKinnon B-roll video LOL

Sure, it was no Parrot Anafi... But it was nice to see a bunch of young men sharing a boat ride without all the stigma people give men who wear man-buns...don't cha think?

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Ya gotta love those man-buns don't you :)
View attachment 3151

No. One time I saw a guy with one walking around Walmart in pajamas pants he'd made into capris and flip flops with a skin tight half tee, eating Cheerios out of a ziploc... I hollered "You aren't Vegan...Cheerios are cooked in beef fat!". He burst into tears, threw them at me and ran. Some weird looking guy with a bent neck laughed and said "you should buy an Autel and go be a drone pilot".. sounded like good advice. That's how I ended up here. But I digress... Have you ever been hit with a ziploc bag full of Cheerios? Doesn't hurt a bit... But WOW! Very unsettling. So for me personally, they have a stigma. I was just commenting that it's nice that not everyone shares my prejudice. Bigotry is a burden no generation should pass on to the next. Oh, and boats. I've wasted a lot of money on boats.

Looks like someone got out of bed on the wrong side again this morning. Laws they "might" have broken? Sheesh! Is that all you've got?

Kindly point me to a better EVO video.

Looks like someone got out of bed on the wrong side again this morning. Laws they "might" have broken? Sheesh! Is that all you've got?

Kindly point me to a better EVO video.

Sorry but I did not drink the Autel pink lemonade and join the cult of the Autel of followers. I have seen you posting your bull on yunicpilots also and say how much better the EVO is. Give it up already.

Sorry but I did not drink the Autel pink lemonade and join the cult of the Autel of followers. I have seen you posting your bull on yunicpilots also and say how much better the EVO is. Give it up already.
And there was me hoping that it wasn't a personal attack. And what you call "bull" is nothing more than my opinion (as a former imaging professional) - which has often been substantiated with research and facts.

Just because your opinion may be different from mine, that doesn't entitle you to dismiss mine as "bull" and throw pejorative - and false - insults at me.

Please behave in a civilised fashion - as befits your age (and mine). And if you disagree with anything I (or anyone) may post, please explain why without descending into kindergarten games.

Reactions: WayneH and UnRanged
You Sir are stuck on a brand and really do not have a good feel for whats out there. As for you being a professional I really wonder by all your questions you have asked here and on the Yuneec forum but like you said I will try and be civil and just drop this back and forth with you.
If you want to ask questions about good UAV photos you should have been talking the Michael Kienitz. He is a member on the Yuneec site. He uses his 3 Typhoon H's for his documentaries of Iceland. Look him up I think you will see that you do not need the EVO to make the best ever videos.

Michael Kienitz Photojournalist -

Last edited:
My posts fall into two broad categories: a) comments, critiques and questions about imaging - on which subject I am qualified to comment; and b) questions about flying a drone - on which subject I am a complete novice.

Since you read my posts, you must know that the EVO is the first drone I have ever flown so I am not at all qualified to comment on its relative merits as a drone - nor have I ever done so.

My only criteria for purchasing a drone were cost and video quality; and as you know, I researched the video quality of several drones - including downloading raw footage - before deciding that the EVO was the drone for me.

In the short time I have been using it (in Novice mode), I have found nothing to cause me to regret my choice. It is very easy for a newbie to learn to fly; and it produces video of exceptional quality.

I am not prejudiced by any historic customer grievances with Autel. My experience with customer support over the past couple of months has been extremely good. So, I live in the present.

And I don't belong to any cult. You just need to come to terms with the fact that your views are not everyone's. For my part, I will temper my opinion of the EVO if and when others show me how poorly its camera performs. I'm well aware that it isn't a perfect drone yet but, for me, its imperfections are insignificant when set alongside its image quality.

You however seem to bear some kind of grudge. If so, you are entitled to air it - but not to diminish those who don't share it.

If you want to ask questions about good UAV photos you should have been talking the Michael Kienitz. He is a member on the Yuneec site. He uses his 3 Typhoon H's for his documentaries of Iceland. Look him up I think you will see that you do not need the EVO to make the best ever videos.
I have seen those excellent Iceland images and commented on them - as you should know. My critical comments on the H+ have been exclusively about its video quality (mostly when panning or when recording detailed textures) and its in-camera JPEG quality.

And please don't misquote me. The title of this thread says that I think the NZ video is the best EVO promo video ever - not the best drone video ever. I have said that I think the EVO produces the best quality video for under $2k but only of those drones which I have researched, ie the Typhoons, the Mavics and the Anafi. If there are better competitor videos out there which I haven't found in over 6 months of searching, please point me to them and make a case. And for sure, I assume that some $2k+ drones must be capable of producing better video but I limited my research to my budget. I have also said that other drones have useful features (for some people) that the EVO doesn't have - and that I would buy an H+ if it fixes its imaging issues.

The NZ video above is the best EVO footage I have seen - and I think I have seen everything that is in the public domain. But if you know better, please link me up to them.

I rather liked this one myself but to each their own. There are two people on this forum posting amazing videos. Both started out with the Autel X-Star and then moved up to the EVO. If they did not tell us which one they used for the video most would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Like I said before its all about the monkey behind the camera that makes the difference.

That's very impressive too. I prefer the NZ one - partly because it's a little smoother for me - but it's not surprising that the Alaska video is similar in quality as it was shot and edited by the same people using the same drone, or similar.

So perhaps you are agreeing with me now? As for whether these videos are better than any produced on Mavics, Typhoons or Anafis, that's partly a subjective call but imho they are technically superior to anything I have seen from those other cameras.

Unless you know different.

I rather liked this one myself but to each their own. There are two people on this forum posting amazing videos. Both started out with the Autel X-Star and then moved up to the EVO. If they did not tell us which one they used for the video most would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Like I said before its all about the monkey behind the camera that makes the difference.

Come off it. You got called out. This is the Autel Forum. And people came here to discuss their $1000+ investments, their equipment and their AUTEL problems, if they have any.
Not to hear you give your disparaging opinion on a piece of equipment that you don't even own and have no experience with , while trying to convince us that you bought a Parrot Anafi for half the cost of what we paid for our EVO's and that it offers you the same quality, fit, finish and performance as our overpriced unproven birds, which we all know to be a lie...
I have enough life experience to know that I don't need to rely on other people's limits as anything other than my starting point. You're an opinionated enthusiast, not an Industry Professional. While this is my first drone, I'll bet money that my 25 years of experience in the overlapping and encompassing Industries that brought this technology and this type of equipment to the consumer is FAR more than what you have to offer the community. Not everyone is a hobbyist, so you might want to try your "Experienced Guru" act somewhere else. . Maybe you should go hang out with Parrot Owners... Maybe you can convince some of them they didn't invest in junk... Be a lot easier than trying to convince us that we did. I'm happy with my purchase. And I don't care that you are hurt and jealous because of it.

"You Sir are stuck on a brand and really do not have a good feel for whats out there. " ... Presumptuous don't you think? Maybe he's happy with his investment. I am. Go sell your EVO and buy something else if you aren't.

"but like you said I will try and be civil and just drop this back and forth with you. "... Nah. You don't get to take the High Road out... Crawl out like you crawled in.

Reactions: Normex and WayneH
To me it is just another tool in the tool box. And over the years I have owned a lot of them. Tomorrow someone will make a better tool at a cheaper price. Glad you happy with your purchase.

Reactions: Normex

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coastaldrone