Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

July 4th Fireworks Lake Wylie, SC 2021

tvwxman

Reaction score
You knew we couldn't get past this holiday without somebody posting a fireworks video, so I'll take my shot this year! This was taken Sunday evening from Lake Wylie, SC. I was given permission to use the property of Camp Thunderbird and I was just barely outside of Class B airspace from the CLT airport. So I was good to go for night flying there.

This was shot on my E2P at F2.8, 4K/30fps, 1/30th, manual exposure/white balance, ISO 1600, H.265 10 bit (log). I thought about shooting at 24fps just to squeeze in a little more light for the sensor and of course many folks prefer the cinematic feel of 24fps, but for better or worse my personal preference is the slightly smoother motion at 30fps. I used Adobe Premiere Pro to color grade and edit the log profile video.

I also used the Neat Video plugin for noise reduction. I have found dark twilight, especially with intermittent bright flashes (I chase lightning) is the toughest environment. When it's really dark, you can use that to your advantage to mask the noise. But yikes, the dark twilight is unforgiving. I won't bore y'all with the Neat Video settings I settled on unless someone asks, but it took a lot of trial and error. If you go too far, you can wipe out the noise for sure, but it then leaves your sky with horrific false contours and banding, even with 10 bit video. In the case of this video, less was definitely more.

By the way, no thanks to the youtube compression, you will see some banding in the sky in this video, but the actual video I rendered at 110Mbps is totally clean.

I hope you enjoy and happy belated 4th!

Eric

You did great. I flew the 4th but living in the middle of nowhere I didn't get any close views. It was amazing though to see 360 degrees of nothing but fireworks, like the entire horizon was celebrating, but my neighbors were sleeping :)

Reactions: tvwxman
You did great. I flew the 4th but living in the middle of nowhere I didn't get any close views. It was amazing though to see 360 degrees of nothing but fireworks, like the entire horizon was celebrating, but my neighbors were sleeping :)
Oh yes! I did some of that last year when all the real fireworks displays were cancelled due to the pandemic! It is remarkable to see that!

Reactions: UasDriver

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58