Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Another EVO blockbuster from Autel

YuKay

Reaction score
Another truly stunning promo video from Autel - this time from surreal Utah.

4k60p (final output at 24fps)
H.265
LOG color profile
PolarPro ND Filters

Nice! Wish I had some beautiful scenery to look at... Yesterday I got some beautiful video of kids in the trailer park behind me throwing stones at my drone, then climbing the fence to their wastewater treatment facility to get closer... I was hoping they'd fall in, but it looks like they play in there all the time. Hope they have their hepatitis vaccinations.

OK, PLEASE take no offense, but this really didn’t impress me much.... Again, aside the from the rare 4K super-slo-mo of a vehicle going through a mud puddle, an XSP could have shot all of this.

1) 1/3 of the footage is Evo following a vehicle. Big deal.

2) Access. Special access got them many of the nice shots. I’m not sure which National Park that was, it looked like Grand Canyon for awhile, but it could be one of several in the general area. All illegal to fly in (I’ve been checking the maps since I’m in AZ now). In fact, AZ forbids flying in ALL state parks too, I think Utah does as well... Autel greased the wheels on this shoot too. None of us could have shot there...

3) Seriously, it’s common knowledge the only time to shoot photos/video in the desert is around dawn, and late in the afternoon until dusk. That’s all I shoot now, it’s a small window. That’s when most of this was shot, unless Evo was following a vehicle (yawn) in transit.

There’s some really nice footage here, make no mistake. But since they had a budget, $$$ ATV vehicles and permissions to do this, why not shoot it with an Inspire, and get MAX quality, rather than above average quality? I guess what I’m saying is — IMHO, there is nothing really blockbustery or uniquely Evo about this video. The Mtn goats were nice, a bit of luck there. Looks like Evo spooked them, which is one of the reasons it’s illegal to fly in NP’s...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jagerbomb52

H.265
LOG color profile
PolarPro ND Filters

Sorry my friend this time I have to disagree. The color on this video is just wrong. I live in this part of the world and it is not brown. I have found that using the ND filters here changes everything to a brown shade. There is a lot of brown in the sandstone but the Navajo
Sandstone is red. The Kayenta Sandstone has a brown hue. Everything in this video has a brown cast. This is a screen shot from my evo 4k 60 manual settings no color no filter you can see there is a lot more grey in the surrounding area.

Attachments

• Screenshot (78).png
    Screenshot (78).png
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
OK, PLEASE take no offense, but this really didn’t impress me much.... Again, aside the from the rare 4K super-slo-mo of a vehicle going through a mud puddle, an XSP could have shot all of this.

2) Access. Special access got them many of the nice shots. I’m not sure which National Park that was, it looked like Grand Canyon for awhile, but it could be one of several in the general area. All illegal to fly in (I’ve been checking the maps since I’m in AZ now). In fact, AZ forbids flying in ALL state parks too, I think Utah does as well... Autel greased the wheels on this shoot too. None of us could have shot there...

3) Seriously, it’s common knowledge the only time to shoot photos/video in the desert is around dawn, and late in the afternoon until dusk. That’s all I shoot now, it’s a small window. That’s when most of this was shot, unless Evo was following a vehicle (yawn) in transit.

There’s some really nice footage here, make no mistake. But since they had a budget, $$$ ATV vehicles and permissions to do this, why not shoot it with an Inspire, and get MAX quality, rather than above average quality? I guess what I’m saying is — IMHO, there is nothing really blockbustery or uniquely Evo about this video. The Mtn goats were nice, a bit of luck there. Looks like Evo spooked them, which is one of the reasons it’s illegal to fly in NP’s...

MOAB in Utah has a lot of BLM land with beutiful scenery still being used for recreation and 4wheeling. Or at least they did when I was last out there 20 some odd years ago.. But yeah, I get what you are saying about the locations being off limits to the everyman . In some of those areas people could accidentally drop their camera and still get an awesome picture. Looks like they could have used a lighter ND filter tho.
I noticed that buggy in their "Dynamic Tracking" video... where they clearly showing it following a vehicle and climbing in elevation according to the terrain... which we all know it doesn't.
Looks like they're upping their marketing game tho... Making a lot of videos that give the appearance it will make you a better pilot or photographer... just like their competitor's do.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Sorry my friend this time I have to disagree. The color on this video is just wrong. I live in this part of the world and it is not brown. I have found that using the ND filters here changes everything to a brown shade. There is a lot of brown in the sandstone but the Navajo
Sandstone is red. The Kayenta Sandstone has a brown hue. Everything in this video has a brown cast. This is a screen shot from my evo 4k 60 manual settings no color no filter you can see there is a lot more grey in the surrounding area.
F621FCBD-E9A2-437C-BAD0-46DE9AF4961A.jpegI agree, it’s the main reason I use CP filters exclusively. They have issue too, but the color is great. The Evo vid just doesn’t look right. My area glows a reddish brown late in the day, more red than brown. For about 5 minutes at dusk, my world turns red!

MOAB in Utah has a lot of BLM land with beutiful scenery still being used for recreation and 4wheeling. Or at least they did when I was last out there 20 some odd years ago.. But yeah, I get what you are saying about the locations being off limits to the everyman . In some of those areas people could accidentally drop their camera and still get an awesome picture. Looks like they could have used a lighter ND filter tho.
I noticed that buggy in their "Dynamic Tracking" video... where they clearly showing it following a vehicle and climbing in elevation according to the terrain... which we all know it doesn't.
Looks like they're upping their marketing game tho... Making a lot of videos that give the appearance it will make you a better pilot or photographer... just like their competitor's do.
Totally agree....

I'm not getting all the defensiveness from you and Augustine about the XSP. It's great that you're happy with it but why keep bigging it up when it's not available any more?

It's as if I had posted about how much superior the EVO is to the XSP whereas I've never mentioned the XSP except in response to you. You post as though EVO owners keep attacking your beloved XSP but, AFAIK, they don't. This part of the forum is for EVO discussion and I just can't see the point of bringing the XSP into every conversation. Who is it helping?

Having a coupe of hours to waste today, I have been trawling through the archive of XSP footage on Youtube and there is plenty I could say about its quality, sharpness, color palette, performance, artifacts, etc. But it's the wrong forum and it wouldn't help anyone so I'll keep my counsel.

But the sum total of it is that I much prefer the EVO's camera and its amazingly clean and sharp output, which is why I'm in this section of the forum.

As for the qualities of the Autel Moab video, you and I will have to agree to differ. For me, the follow sequences were dramatic and helped to break up what might otherwise have been a routine high level fly-past (of stunning scenery).

Your point about access is lost on me. Augustine made exactly the same comment about the Autel NZ video and it seems totally irrelevant to the quality of the footage and capabilities of the EVO which are all most people would care about. Great footage doesn't necessarily require stunning/inaccessible locations. Some of the best EVO footage I have seen has been of modest/dilapidated buildings. It's not all about the scenery.

Only you know what relevance your third point has to the quality of the Moab video. Are you saying it was shot at the wrong time of day?

Never having been to the area, I must bow to the comments of others that the colours are not lifelike but based on other videos, much of the color changes with the time of day, angle of the sun, etc. In any event, it doesn't impair the video for those who don't know the landscape. And a colorist may have altered some of the original hues in post. If the only great art was lifelike then Manet, Monet, Degas, Picasso and many others would be considered useless artists.

I’m really not being defensive about the XSP at all. I’m saying that for a marketing video to sell the Evo as a superior product to the XSP, (something Autel is clearly trying to do) it’s unsuccessful. They don’t even stress the portability of the Evo, they drive everywhere! As for quality of the footage, I’d really stress the kind of shots 4k@60fps can give you, it’s Autel’s main competitive advantage. I applaud and understand that Autel must make and socialize these kinds of videos to up their marketing game. For first time buyers in the $1000 range, it might help. If I were making a marketing video in that part of the world, I’d have far more spectacular scenic footage flying over dramtically-lit inaccessible canyons — and far less footage of vehicles roaming around on dirt roads.

As for time of day. If you were out here, you’d understand the desert is rather featureless unless there’s significant light and dark areas (shadows from a low sun). The same footage taken at 2pm would be far less dramatic than at dusk. Access. It’s easier to get dramatic footage if you are allowed to get into more dramatic landscapes. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to stop myself (knowing if caught I’d be arrested) from flying in restricted areas. I’d need a Go Fund Me page to pay the $10,000 fine for flying over flowing lava in Hawaii. Wouldn’t it be more dramatic to fly directly over the Golden Gate Bridge than from 5 miles away? Getting permission by justifying you’re making a commercial marketing video (and making a donation ;) ), and you can gain access. The rest of us? Nope...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I didn't see any text in the video or the youtube description claiming that the camera shots of the buggy were using Autel's dynamic tracking. They're just following the buggy with a pilot, as any competent videographer would, to get a good shot.

So why are you acting like they're misleading people?

Also why on earth would Autel make a video to market the XSP instead of the Evo, when the XSP is not being sold and the Evo is?

Your comments are very confusing.

I’m really not being defensive about the XSP at all. I’m saying that for a marketing video to sell the Evo as a superior product to the XSP, (something Autel is clearly trying to do) it’s unsuccessful.
Autel are presumably trying to market the EVO as a superior product to its DJI competitors: any other comparisons would be a waste of resources as other competitors are either very small or defunct.

The success of these promo videos will be decided over time. It's not possible to declare them unsuccessful at this early stage - albeit you are entitled to that opinion. It isn't a fact, is all.

And you seem to be confusing a soft sell aspirational video with a hard sell advertisement. These are two different marketing tools. Most airline and car commercials on TV are soft sells because they sell a dream or a lifestyle with hardly a mention of their features and benefits. As with cars and airlines, I can get all the hard sell stuff from a website if the soft sell inspires me to go there.

Your point about access is a valid discussion for another thread but it has nothing to do with this one. Your point about shot timing in the desert is interesting but only relevant to this thread if Autel have got their timing wrong.

And your constant references to the XSP suggest that you might be bitter at Autel for discontinuing it and that, like Augustine, you look for any opportunity to try to discredit them.

If you are a disenchanted XSP owner, I can sympathise with that but would prefer not to have non-XSP threads hijacked for campaigning purposes. And your assertion that the EVO camera is no better than the XSP's is simply not true, based on the Youtube videos I have seen. But if you can link me to a particularly fine XSP 4k video (which hasn't been marred by frame rate manipulation) then I will happily eat my words - or explain why I think you are wrong.

Meanwhile, I wish you, and all, a merry Christmas.

I didn't see any text in the video or the youtube description claiming that the camera shots of the buggy were using Autel's dynamic tracking. They're just following the buggy with a pilot, as any competent videographer would, to get a good shot.

Also why on earth would Autel make a video to market the XSP instead of the Evo, when the XSP is not being sold and the Evo is?

I said "I noticed that buggy in their "Dynamic Tracking" video.." so I guess you need to go watch their Dynamic Tracking video to see what I'm talking about. And yeah... Why would they? Since I never said anything about an XSP other than they can be hand launched. But not on this thread... I think you may have read through to fast.

It's called creative license, not everyone sees things exactly as they are, brown or not the look of the video is pretty good, natural or not.

Reactions: UnRanged
It's called creative license, not everyone sees things exactly as they are, brown or not the look of the video is pretty good, natural or not.

I went back this morning and watched the video again thinking I may have been a little harsh. NO. f they had removed those filters instead of pretty good it would have been spectacular. This is called color country for a reason.

Attachments

• Screenshot (79).png
    Screenshot (79).png
    1.7 MB · Views: 10

Here's the video I was referencing. Dynamic Tracking... @:23 they show that buggy being filmed. And it looks cut to make it appear it is being tracked, but it is actually a clip from this video spliced in. Are they being misleading, or was it just poor editing? I assume the latter after seeing this, but it wasn't addressed until the end, and almost as a second thought in that video.
I Iove my EVO. This camera gets no complaints from me.

H.265
LOG color profile
PolarPro ND Filters
Oh man... Makes me a little homesick. The CanAm's looked amazing. coooool stuff. When did they open MOAB up to drones though. I would love to take my UTV up there and try to get some shots like those.

I'm so confused with most of the comments. I liked the video. It was good, and showed what can be done with a drone under $1000. With any professional video there is color correction, masking etc. I don't see the problem flying in a park anyways. At 400' you aren't going to be disturbing any wild life or the whole park experience. Just don't buzz people trying to enjoy the natural beauty.

Reactions: YuKay
I'm so confused with most of the comments. I liked the video. It was good, and showed what can be done with a drone under $1000. With any professional video there is color correction, masking etc. I don't see the problem flying in a park anyways. At 400' you aren't going to be disturbing any wild life or the whole park experience. Just don't buzz people trying to enjoy the natural beauty.
I think some of the comments are either EVO envy or old grudges against Autel from owners of the previous discontinued model. It's a very fine video.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials