Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

SunRise

Still having trouble getting the balance I would like. When the sunset looks good the land is to dark to see. ANY TIPS? Setting? etc?

Attachments

• MAX_0016.JPG
    MAX_0016.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
Getting your settings just right while you are taking your photos helps but sometimes you need to do some work in a photo editor. I like Adobe Lightroom and also a program called Luminar 2018. I will use lightroom first to adjust bring out the shadows and hightlights. Perhaps do a radio filter on the sun to pop that out more. If I am still not happy with it I will save it and open it up in Luminar. It has some filters lightroom does not have. One of fellows I watched a lot of tutorials from has a Youtube channel. His name is Serge Ramelli Photography. Here is one of his tutorials, he has many to learn from.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
That was excellent, I’ve seen a few of his videos, he often says something new that makes me ponder.... You can do many of the same things in Photoshop, but not everything, each program has it’s strength, many photogs use both.

For what it’s worth — and maybe it’s from judging too many photo contests — IMO he hurt the nice shot of the big rock when he cropped it. I agree 16:9 is a nice format, I also like the panorama feel. BUT — most, but not all — successful art has a dynamic line running through it. In this case, the closest thing to one is the white foam going around the base of the rock. He crops it so close to the line, the flow is interrupted — and the streaks of water flowing toward the rock are gone which is another nice element in the picture....they kinda of drawn you into the frame....

Last edited:
Very nice, Anfai??

No that was @jimzartman photo from the above post. Just wanted to see what a fast edit would do for it. I agree Serge sometimes goes over board on some things but he is French LOL. I just watch how things are done and adjust it to my liking. What I like or what you like might not be to the way others like it but all that matters is if you are happy with the final photo :)

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
No that was @jimzartman photo from the above post. Just wanted to see what a fast edit would do for it. I agree Serge sometimes goes over board on some things but he is French LOL. I just watch how things are done and adjust it to my liking. What I like or what you like might not be to the way others like it but all that matters is if you are happy with the final photo :)
:) Absolutely, every good photog can teach you something. I’m a sponge in that regard, LOL. One of the great things about art—everyone interprets/reacts to it differently. I’ve never forgotten when a colleague insisted I enter a photo in the annual Aviation Week & Space Technology contest around 1990? I really liked a different version of it, he vigorously disagreed, convincing me to enter another, more symmetrical view. I liked it, but it was just too lined-up-symmetrical according to how I was taught. I respected his judgement, he was really convincing—I gave in... I’ll be damned if it didn’t win an award in the Space category. If I had chosen my view, nada... I learned an important lesson. If a shot just “works” don’t sweat the “rules”...

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the kind words. If it hadn’t been for another (excellent) photographer pounding his shoe on the table, nobody would have ever seen this shot... It was taken from an old Vietnam-era NASA Huey, which were awful camera platforms. My fav Pentax 6x7 iso 400 220 negative film, 80mm normal lens, wide open at f2.8 1/30 sec. In this rough-flying chopper with the doors off, I think about 6 negs were sharp out of 100+ frames...
LM still uses it for marketing today.

Yea, I truly was lucky, and looking back it really sinks-in. I was so into it, I never stopped to realize it. The nice guy president of Lockheed Martin Space Systems used to jokingly say I had the best job in the company...maybe he was right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jagerbomb52

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo