Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

So a little question about wind?

Martyc6

Reaction score
All,
What’s the highest wind do you think you’ve flown in? And how do you think your EVO 2 Pro Ent performed?
The wind kicked up while I was out a little bit ago, and my aircraft started to drift away a bit. Didn’t panic but did pucker up a bit. I descended about 50feet till I got positive control back to me, and proceeded to land.

Attachments

• 42F6A2F3-89B5-4F72-BC43-3DA704786F3A.jpeg
    42F6A2F3-89B5-4F72-BC43-3DA704786F3A.jpeg
    747 KB · Views: 19
All,
What’s the highest wind do you think you’ve flown in? And how do you think your EVO 2 Pro Ent performed?
The wind kicked up while I was out a little bit ago, and my aircraft started to drift away a bit. Didn’t panic but did pucker up a bit. I descended about 50feet till I got positive control back to me, and proceeded to land.

I stick to 20MPH and below and even then I keep it very close by and away from buildings and other obstacles. Its very easy to fly downwind then realize you cannot fly back. Also, on windy days I keep it in Ludicrous mode to provide extra wind fighting power.

Reactions: Martyc6
I will maintain my rule of no more than 20mph....maybe 25 with my evoII. Anything higher makes it a fight to bring the unit back against the wind.

Depends on winds on the ground as well as at altitudes, mid 20s ok, even higher, also what is your comfort level experience flying the aircraft/drone in different conditions, as well as what are you doing (photos, video, TL, mapping, etc). Landing in gusting winds can be tricky, practice and factor battery usage for in wind etc.

Ok, I once flew in 25mph winds gusting to 30+, but that was both in the middle of nowhere, and when I was very new to drones: it worked, but the gusts would blow the camera around. That said, I now do not fly over about 10mph unless there is a PRESSING need. Today, for example, I've been asked to grab some shots on a "we gotta have this now" basis, so I'll be in 10-11mph winds, but I do try to avoid it.

I map every week, so I check the weather forecast every Monday morning to find the best day/time.

I do fly at max 30 mph (48km/h) with Ludacris mode, for commercials, as if wind is high in area I have to film, is not a convenient thing to go back 200km and return... Also on high guts I keep like 70-90m altitude in order to avoid the turbulence generated by high buildings.
No issues so far, gimbal is stable, video is smooth, no corrections in post needed for shaking.
Just remember to keep your battery in sight, I never fly more than 1000m away and this is against wind, in order to return it easy.
I keep the battery at return at 20%, not lower, in order to have some reserves.
For mapping, I had mapping at 20mph, was generated fine in Pix4D.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: gschulzuio
Ok, I once flew in 25mph winds gusting to 30+, but that was both in the middle of nowhere, and when I was very new to drones: it worked, but the gusts would blow the camera around. That said, I now do not fly over about 10mph unless there is a PRESSING need. Today, for example, I've been asked to grab some shots on a "we gotta have this now" basis, so I'll be in 10-11mph winds, but I do try to avoid it.

I map every week, so I check the weather forecast every Monday morning to find the best day/time.
If you have Evo2E, should work fine in 20mph. Is no point to wait for 10-11mph, just remember to fly against the wind, return with the wind, just as precaution. Still, the drone was able to return without issues at 30 mph from 1000m away in Ludacris, so...you have plenty reserves. (set one button to change to ludacris mode, will be helpful).

Reactions: gschulzuio
If you have Evo2E, should work fine in 20mph. Is no point to wait for 10-11mph, just remember to fly against the wind, return with the wind, just as precaution. Still, the drone was able to return without issues at 30 mph from 1000m away in Ludacris, so...you have plenty reserves. (set one button to change to ludacris mode, will be helpful).
Good points
I do fly at max 30 mph (48km/h) with Ludacris mode, for commercials, as if wind is high in area I have to film, is not a convenient thing to go back 200km and return... Also on high guts I keep like 70-90m altitude in order to avoid the turbulence generated by high buildings.
No issues so far, gimbal is stable, video is smooth, no corrections in post needed for shaking.
Just remember to keep your battery in sight, I never fly more than 1000m away and this is against wind, in order to return it easy.
I keep the battery at return at 20%, not lower, in order to have some reserves.
For mapping, I had mapping at 20mph, was generated fine in Pix4D.

Cheers.
Good points, likewise have flown at 30mph, and have used ludacris mode, and, have also found turning OA off while at altitude can help. Have been able to get good images and photos, worse case can get some horizon tilt depending if perpendicular to wind (e.g. 30+), and have had some 360 sphericals issues with 30+ winds (have seen same with Mavic 2 Pro fwiw). However overall the E2 and E2P can do well in the winds if you know what are you doing, and what your aircraft is capable of. Otoh, if you only have a few flights under your belt, wait for calmer days to learn and practice...

All,
I just flew in the windiest conditions I have actually attempted with the Evo II Enterprise and it was sketchy. There were two spots where either the drone did something really goofy or the wind got it. The second time it dropped about 20ft and my a-hole went the opposite. Sustained 15-17mph with 35-40mph gusts... Not worth it. I just really hope it was the wind. I have noticed a few occasions where the motor basically turn off for it to maintain altitude which is a little unsettling. They definitely need to work on the code for the attitude of the drone in a few scenarios.

1652117965530.png

1652118138009.png

• Wow
I just reviewed the images from the second flight and they are perfect despite the fact that it was 10 minutes after the first in virtually the same wind so I am a little worried about the attitude I saw.

The EVO Enterprize still has a few bugs that need to be worked out it seems, but they will get worked out for sure

Reactions: elphtrooper
The EVO Enterprize still has a few bugs that need to be worked out it seems, but they will get worked out for sure
Lord knows I am going to throw every bit at 'em. Just posted this...

Reactions: jmason702
I just flew in the windiest conditions I have actually attempted with the Evo II Enterprise and it was sketchy. There were two spots where either the drone did something really goofy or the wind got it. The second time it dropped about 20ft and my a-hole went the opposite. Sustained 15-17mph with 35-40mph gusts... Not worth it. I just really hope it was the wind. I have noticed a few occasions where the motor basically turn off for it to maintain altitude which is a little unsettling. They definitely need to work on the code for the attitude of the drone in a few scenarios.

View attachment 13990

View attachment 13992
I put my Evo 2 V1 up on a suicide mission during a tornado last year. I got fairly close but never did get to the tornado. We ended up behind it and couldn't catch up. I don't have any confirmed data on exactly what windspeeds were but it was an F2 rope was able to get to about a quarter mile from it. Once we got to that point the drone got caught in the outer band and it was out of my hands at that point. The tornado spun us about 270 degrees and then threw the drone out of the outer band and to my absolute amazement the drone was still upright, recording, and I had control once again. But now we were behind it and not even ludicrous mode could get us back up to it. She was just too quick and the outbound sheer was keeping us from getting any real speed. I was pleasantly surprised yet somewhat disappointed. I did not expect to land that drone ever again and had been, in a somewhat masochistic way, had been looking forward to searching all across the country for the wreckage to recover the awesome footage on the memory card. Maybe this year....

Like I said I don't know the exact speeds we were flying in but an F2 is around 120-140 at the core so best guess at 300 feet? We was probably seeing 50-80 outside the band and could of possibly seen speeds of 100 while we were caught in the outer band. I can't say that I had full control of it at any time but we still had some maneuverability. But, generally speaking, I'm just kidding myself if I try to say I was in control of anything but ascending up into the air. After that point, I went wherever the wind allowed me to. And nowhere it didn't want me to

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials