Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Smart Controller thumbwheels

PingSpike

Reaction score
The left shoulder wheel controls the tilt angle of the gimbal, and the right wheel controls the zoom.

Has anyone actually tried these? ?

The one on the left, to tilt the gimbal down, seems to run at around 1 degree per second. It is unusably slow.

The one on the right, to zoom, does nothing at all.

?‍♂️

The left shoulder wheel controls the tilt angle of the gimbal, and the right wheel controls the zoom.

The one on the left, to tilt the gimbal down, seems to run at around 1 degree per second. It is unusably slow.

?‍♂️
haven't found the left side to be too slow for me but I'm a fan of quick movements....so I'll check again. the right does zoom but it's not smooth....you snap it from stop to the next, no?

Reactions: Anzacjack
Left worked fine for me just fine, zoom did not. However, there were features for panoramic that were offer in the controller that the drone failed to execute; it actually displayed that it failed to execute the panoramic photo.

After landing, I was notified of a firmware upgrade which I suspect will fix the zoom wheel; it did say in the release notes it addressed the panoramic photo issue so I assume, not know, that it might also fix the zoom. Only a flight (post firmware upgrade) will tell.

I also had an issue calibrating the gimbal from the smart controller; no idea why that would happen.

haven't found the left side to be too slow for me but I'm a fan of quick movements....so I'll check again. the right does zoom but it's not smooth....you snap it from stop to the next, no?
Which would make sense... since in the Explorer app it does not zoom at all... it acts like a digital tele-converter... as you noted is simply snaps to the next level of magnification. A true zoom would also have the capability of the entire range of magnification from 1X thru 8X.

?‍♂️
A few controller's have required a factory reset and reloading of firmware.
Once this is done, the gimbal wheel works fine.
You can adjust the sensitivity settings of your gimbal wheel to suit your own requirements.

?‍♂️
Yes I did it right side as I said does nothing.
But has any one after recharge next day my smart controller won't turn on at 4 lights as far as I know fully charged.i have another problem how do I connect my phone to it to get the map function I'm surprised that I would have to use my phone as a hotspot. Which is why I bought it to get rid of the phone. Connect for wi do at home is great but I might have been thinking wrong about this so do I put a sim card on a otg or what run a Cable from phone to sc I feel like I am back to regular controller then .am I doing something wrong?

A few controller's have required a factory reset and reloading of firmware.
Once this is done, the gimbal wheel works fine.

That's interesting.

So the problem I've reported in the first post here has been experienced by others before, and a factory reset is the cure? ?

Reactions: GM Dave
I had the slow gimbal problem on my first S/C. The replacement doesn't have this problem. With all the different things I tested...I seem to recall that it was the A/C firmware that corrected the issue.

Reactions: PingSpike
I'll try resetting and reinstalling a few things at the weekend and report back.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Mine did exactly as OP mentioned..
No zoom, and very VERY slow gimbal tilt. Even after adjusting settings.

Just updated everything to double check, same issues. Gonna reach out to Autel tomorrow.

Reactions: PingSpike
I contacted Autel support. I will let you know if they get back to me.

In the mean time, I re-paired the standard controller and tested the left wheel. Sure enough, the gimbal moves at the normal speed.

Then I re-paired the SC and exactly as before, it has ground to a halt and barely moves at all.

I did notice that the SC thinks a firmware upgrade is available for the drone, to v2.7.25 but the strange thing is, I installled this firmware four times (as I have four batteries). Each time, I installed it using the manual download and copy to memory card route. Ie. not via the SC.

Currently installing 2.7.25 again as the SC seems to think the drone needs it ?‍♂️

Don't know whether this applies to the SC, but I thought after upgrading FW I had a broken gimbal. The tilt setting the Evo II had with the older F/W and S/W versions prior to the most recent (July 1) version have a different range. The settings you used before slow it to a crawl. If the SC is grabbing those F/W settings, it seems like the gimbal is frozen, visually, while flying. What was .17 on the slider before, is about a rate .65 with the new F/W and S/W.

Reactions: G_G and PingSpike
A few controller's have required a factory reset and reloading of firmware

Well, one of these two, or both, have fixed the issue!

After a factory reset of the controller, then a reinstall of the drone firmware using the SC (and not upgrading via memory card) has fixed my wheel issues.

Thanks @Roscow31 and everyone else for the suggestions :D

For reference...

The firmware v2.7.25 that I installed four times via memory card (to ensure each battery was updated) carried the following module values:

Remote Control v3.1.0.5
Remote Control Image Transmission v1.1.1.45

But when I installed firmware v2.7.25 using the SC (rather than memory card) these two modules have been bumped to:

Remote Control v3.1.0.10
Remote Control Image Transmission v1.1.1.47

Interesting eh? As both installs were package v2.7.25

@risingtide might be worth checking your two module versions.

Reactions: GM Dave
For reference...

The firmware v2.7.25 that I installed four times via memory card (to ensure each battery was updated) carried the following module values:

Remote Control v3.1.0.5
Remote Control Image Transmission v1.1.1.45

But when I installed firmware v2.7.25 using the SC (rather than memory card) these two modules have been bumped to:

Remote Control v3.1.0.10
Remote Control Image Transmission v1.1.1.47

Interesting eh? As both installs were package v2.7.25

@risingtide might be worth checking your two module versions.
I've always maintained no one should be installing updates from the memory card (sideloading) unless they absolutely are forced to do so because there is no other way. I don't care what anyone says, it's a backdoor method and it always is and always will be a non-guaranteed alternative method that often doesn't get the full treatment when it comes to testing. it might work and you might not ever see any meaningful issues but it's not the real deal.

I was just about to post the last night I did a factory reset, and retried the firmware update. It took, and everything was working fine.
So, anyone reading this down the road, do a factory reset in the Android settings, update everything again, and you'll be good.

@risingtide I'm glad you're fixed too :D

We're in danger of going off topic here, but:
I've always maintained no one should be installing updates from the memory card (sideloading) unless they absolutely are forced to do so because there is no other way. I don't care what anyone says, it's a backdoor method and it always is and always will be a non-guaranteed alternative method that often doesn't get the full treatment when it comes to testing. it might work and you might not ever see any meaningful issues but it's not the real deal.
This is a method Autel themselves recommend, how can it not be "the real deal"?!

If anything, it should be safer and more consistent than the OTA method.

And how do you update all your batteries, without going down the SD card route? ?

Reactions: Lexicon
autel might recommend it because it is something that had to be addressed because people will do it (if you can't beat em, join em) but I'll bet you they haven't fully tested it or accounted for everything. for example, the last step of a good update process is to report back to the server that the update is successful and log the new version numbers, etc. if the oem doesn't account for this after sideloading then how is this accomplished. a good package will "check in" but im not so that always happens. either way, it's more of a security risk and apple products would never allow sideloading like android.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials