Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Smart Controller thumbwheels

I've always maintained no one should be installing updates from the memory card (sideloading) unless they absolutely are forced to do so because there is no other way. I don't care what anyone says, it's a backdoor method and it always is and always will be a non-guaranteed alternative method that often doesn't get the full treatment when it comes to testing. it might work and you might not ever see any meaningful issues but it's not the real deal.
That's true with regard to S/W, but wrt F/W, Autel Evo II problems are often readily traced to recent over-the-air F/W upgrades that didn't complete successfully for whatever reason. The MicroSD .bin card download is proven far and away the more reliable method for F/W upgrades or reinstalls. Here, however, there appears to have been a F/W version update that occurred only OTA? We're in uncharted waters

For reference...

The firmware v2.7.25 that I installed four times via memory card (to ensure each battery was updated) carried the following module values:

Remote Control v3.1.0.5
Remote Control Image Transmission v1.1.1.45

But when I installed firmware v2.7.25 using the SC (rather than memory card) these two modules have been bumped to:

Remote Control v3.1.0.10
Remote Control Image Transmission v1.1.1.47

Interesting eh? As both installs were package v2.7.25

@risingtide might be worth checking your two module versions.
I don't think firmware v2.7.25 included a battery update...

Reactions: PingSpike
It didn't.

I was upgrading from v2.5.12 (Oct 2020) which was the last firmware before Autel added mandatory activation and there has been a battery update (or two?) along the way since then.

Anyway, like I said above, we're going wildly off topic from the OP now.

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
Well, one of these two, or both, have fixed the issue!

After a factory reset of the controller, then a reinstall of the drone firmware using the SC (and not upgrading via memory card) has fixed my wheel issues.

Thanks @Roscow31 and everyone else for the suggestions :D
I got my SC yesterday and after pairing with the drone, I had the slow gimbal problem and the right reel do nothing. Also my SC didn’t come with holes on the stand leg to attach the lanyard clips (picture attached). Today after finishing working, I will try to factory reset and hope it will get fixed.

Attachments

• 838BA520-DD72-4AAB-A64C-9F8EFFC08664.jpeg
    838BA520-DD72-4AAB-A64C-9F8EFFC08664.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • A81311A9-25ED-44AF-822F-A89AD3D93CED.jpeg
    A81311A9-25ED-44AF-822F-A89AD3D93CED.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 15
I got my SC yesterday and after pairing with the drone, I had the slow gimbal problem and the right reel do nothing. Also my SC didn’t come with holes on the stand leg to attach the lanyard clips (picture attached). Today after finishing working, I will try to factory reset and hope it will get fixed.
Mine didn't come with holes, either. The lanyard clips around the handle...

Mine didn't come with holes, either. The lanyard clips around the handle
Update: I just factory reset the SC and updated the firmware to the latest version(OTA), so now the gimbal and zoom work great! ? although the zoom I thought it was smoothly but it is like before (from 1 to 2 to 3.....little brutally ). Now, I'm excited to test it, but I have to wait until Sunday. Take care guys, flight safe and be safe.

autel might recommend it because it is something that had to be addressed because people will do it (if you can't beat em, join em) but I'll bet you they haven't fully tested it or accounted for everything. for example, the last step of a good update process is to report back to the server that the update is successful and log the new version numbers, etc. if the oem doesn't account for this after sideloading then how is this accomplished. a good package will "check in" but im not so that always happens. either way, it's more of a security risk and apple products would never allow sideloading like android.
Updating via memory card is the standard method for firmware updates for every camera (still, video, digital cinema) I’ve ever owned. Why would a drone be different?

Updating via memory card is the standard method for firmware updates for every camera (still, video, digital cinema) I’ve ever owned. Why would a drone be different?
I agree but drones are not in this category when it comes to cameras being notorious late on technology.

If you’ve been dealing with commercial/professional electronics, all manufacturers suggest AVOIDING OTA or wireless updates to any firmware when possible. It’s more stable as it eliminates the possibility of packet loss due to wireless interference. Updating via the SD card is the way to go.
I’ve never had a problem.at all

I agree but drones are not in this category when it comes to cameras being notorious late on technology.
this doesn’t answer the question. I think you’re saying that upgrading firmware via an as card is somehow not to be trusted because it doesn’t check itself with a server when complete. Have I got this right? If yes, why? It doesn’t make sense to me. It would seem that eliminating the server eliminates a major source of potential failure. File inserted, file copied, done. And as I said, every digital camera I’ve owned since 2001 has used its media card for firmware updates. Why would this not work for a drone?

this doesn’t answer the question. I think you’re saying that upgrading firmware via an as card is somehow not to be trusted because it doesn’t check itself with a server when complete. Have I got this right? If yes, why? It doesn’t make sense to me. It would seem that eliminating the server eliminates a major source of potential failure. File inserted, file copied, done. And as I said, every digital camera I’ve owned since 2001 has used its media card for firmware updates. Why would this not work for a drone?
you can trust it until the manufacturer starts to show signs of abandonment

most camera owners are stuck in the 90s (i.e. compact flash)

99% of drones and drone owners who update their software 4 times a year will do so over the air because the drone has wifi, it involves a mobile phone, the update is complex, it involves multiple pieces of equipment, the process is almost perfected, and most drone owners (not us) refuse to use 1990s methods that are simply over their head. 75% of drone users probably never remove the microsd card from their drone. however, it's great as a backup source but I would be wary of a small company that probably has one guy on the project.

you can trust it until the manufacturer starts to show signs of abandonment

most camera owners are stuck in the 90s (i.e. compact flash)

99% of drones and drone owners who update their software 4 times a year will do so over the air because the drone has wifi, it involves a mobile phone, the update is complex, it involves multiple pieces of equipment, the process is almost perfected, and most drone owners (not us) refuse to use 1990s methods that are simply over their head. 75% of drone users probably never remove the microsd card from their drone. however, it's great as a backup source but I would be wary of a small company that probably has one guy on the project.
Drones are also newer tech that include among their users younger people, many of whom don't own computers. They use their phones and tablets for everything.

I find that a bit bizarre because there's literally nothing that I can't do more quickly, easily, and comfortably on a computer than on a mobile device. I consider phones things to be used primarily for talking and texting. All of their other uses are for times when I'm not near a computer. But many of my Millennial friends and most of my Gen-Z relatives either don't own computers; or they have one collecting dust in the corner somewhere, but never use it.

I never use OTA updates unless I have to. For me, using the SD card is simply easier. But I have three working PC's and two servers in my home office, plus a PC in the living room for guests. Many people, especially younger ones, have none.

What I did was charge everything up 100 percent updated all 3 needed did the link controller.I have no issues with the controller zoom on wheel worked gamble set ..02 all exp.nice and smooth.

if anyone is interested, take a look at this post:

A factory reset of the controller and updating the drone firmware corrected the issue.

for reference I had the same issue with the gimbal wheel control not working or moved so slow that it appears to not work.

i don’t know if the drone firmware update caused the issue cause I updated it first before I tried the remote.
I originally tried to update the drone firmware from the controller but it just stuck on 0% unpacking and then stated that the update failed. I rebooted everything and retried but same issue.

i then updated the drone using MicroSD and it seemed to update but the controller continued to show me that the firmware was ready to upload to drone. I retried to update but same unpacking issue and gimbal wheel issue.

so I factory restored controller and then successfully updated the firmware on the drone. This fixed the gimbal wheel issue.
I then updated the autel explorer app to latest and the gimbal wheel continues to work correctly.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan