Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

RID response from Autel:

• Thread starter Deleted member 9417
  • Start date
Not much communication between the out of touch FAA and drone manufacturers. According to Autel CS the EVO 2 does NOT have RID, and as the CS person told me, "You are on your own to find a compatible RID."
This has been clarified and explained by the forum members. The FAA doesn’t distinguish between the versions of the Evo 2. Since the Evo 2 V3 will be made compliant the whole aircraft family seems to be listed on their side if you don’t look at the serial numbers in detail. Autel however will not come up with a solution for V1 and V2 aircrafts, neither will they officially approve or disapprove of third party solutions. You won’t get any satisfactory answer from either side. Autel is not legally responsible for making their older hardware compliant (even if this sucks, it’s now a fact we have to swallow).

The FFA will not be going into further details other than there are EVO 2 frameworks known that will be compliant. So therefore it’s listed.

See it positive, see it as a wildcard for owners of older aircrafts, if you own an V1 or V2 version, without RID supported by Autel, adding external RID to it as an add-on module, this should give you leverage in any future dispute. It was listed by the FAA when you flew it with the module.

I see a loophole we can use to keep flying our current versions for a while longer. Yes it will cost us some $ or € to add our own solution.

This has been clarified and explained by the forum members. The FAA doesn’t distinguish between the versions of the Evo 2. Since the Evo 2 V3 will be made compliant the whole aircraft family seems to be listed on their side if you don’t look at the serial numbers in detail. Autel however will not come up with a solution for V1 and V2 aircrafts, neither will they officially approve or disapprove of third party solutions. You won’t get any satisfactory answer from either side. Autel is not legally responsible for making their older hardware compliant (even if this sucks, it’s now a fact we have to swallow).

The FFA will not be going into further details other than there are EVO 2 frameworks known that will be compliant. So therefore it’s listed.

See it positive, see it as a wildcard for owners of older aircrafts, if you own an V1 or V2 version, without RID supported by Autel, adding external RID to it as an add-on module, this should give you leverage in any future dispute. It was listed by the FAA when you flew it with the module.

I see a loophole we can use to keep flying our current versions for a while longer. Yes it will cost us some $ or € to add our own solution.
there is no loophole, it says so right on the top of the page that you must go by the serial number, not justthe model number. still, the website configuration and the message will not be relevant in your appeals case; it's the fact that you are not broadcasting AND you don't have a DOC for your drone.

Find your aircraft Declaration of Compliance​

Search this list to ensure your unmanned aircraft (serial number) is in compliance with Part 107 Operations Over People (OOP) and/or Part 89 Remote ID (RID) regulations. Compliance with RID and OOP regulations require separate FAA-accepted declarations of compliance.​

Not much communication between the out of touch FAA and drone manufacturers. According to Autel CS the EVO 2 does NOT have RID, and as the CS person told me, "You are on your own to find a compatible RID."
I'm not sure you should be accusing anyone of being out of touch....

Search this list to ensure your unmanned aircraft (serial number) is in compliance with Part 107 Operations Over People (OOP) and/or Part 89 Remote ID (RID) regulations. Compliance with RID and OOP regulations require separate FAA-accepted declarations of compliance.​

You picked one paragraph from the whole.

"Operation over People" does require more strictness, and this is already the case without RID. For sure this section of the rules will get even tighter in the future.

Last edited:
The FAA has already said that it you want to use one module for more than one drone, you will have to register it each time you switch the module. I'm talking about commercial use too, not hobby use, where you only need one registration number. If you fly after September 16th, you have to have remote ID. I fly in pretty busy areas and have to file a lot of authorization requests. I will have to follow the law.

Problem with drone-specific flying fields at city and state parks is that infrastructure would be required, at least it would be here in the KC metro. I was told by park commissioners on both of the state lines that several things would have be build: Parking lot. Restrooms. Launch pads. Fencing to keep back non-fliers. All of the existing R/C, AMA sanctioned fields hereabouts were completely financed and maintained by local clubs. But why would a drone flyer even want to fly at the same flied all the time, same trees, same grass, same structures if there are any? The point of R/C fixed wing aircraft is the FLYING, not taking videos or stills. Then too, there are R/C competitions, everything from fun flys to pylon races, to glider endurance challengers to scale models, etc. Sure, I am still practicing and learning on my drone (and hope to again if it ever gets back from Autel). But that is a means to an end. My objective is not to do perfect outside loops, but to create really good stills and the odd video of lots of different places. BTW, in the recent past it has taken literally months to even get a reply from Autel customer service. When a company will not update its product to keep with government compliance, I call that abandonment, or at least ignoring. Your mileage apparently varies. BTW, I am uncertain if I could even add a module to my Autel. The vids I have seen suggest putting them on the bottom, but my model has sensors there and the top is curved and already has 3-mile collision avoidance beacon.
Yes well said I agree.

"Hello,

Autel does not make agreement with the FAA on RID for EVO II V1/V2 Series.

Without remote ID, pilots only be allowed to operate at FAA-recognized identification areas (FRIAs) sponsored by community-based organizations or educational institutions. FRIAs are the only locations unmanned aircraft (drones and radio-controlled airplanes) may operate without broadcasting remote ID message elements."

If you have any further questions, feel free to reply directly to this email and I'd be happy to assist.
Best Regards,
Kristen| After-sales Technical Support

Don't know how it is in your area, but in KC the few AMA sanctioned flying fields that there are do not allow drones. So, bottom line: Autel has abandoned those of us who have drones older than about 18 months, or those who purchase(d) an EVO II V1/V2 series more recently. So far, I have not found any RID device that will make my drone, and maybe yours, FAA legal. Has anyone else? I am talking USA, not Europe, Australia, Asia or Africa.
The new Autel "Lite" drones are supposed to have RID, or you can buy an RID attachment for your drone. I just purchased an RID Mini.

"Hello,

Without remote ID, pilots only be allowed to operate at FAA-recognized identification areas (FRIAs) sponsored by community-based organizations or educational institutions. FRIAs are the only locations unmanned aircraft (drones and radio-controlled airplanes) may operate without broadcasting remote ID message elements."

If you have any further questions, feel free to reply directly to this email and I'd be happy to assist.
Best Regards,

Don't know how it is in your area, but in KC the few AMA sanctioned flying fields that there are do not allow drones. So, bottom line: Autel has abandoned those of us who have drones older than about 18 months, or those who purchase(d) an EVO II V1/V2 series more recently. So far, I have not found any RID device that will make my drone, and maybe yours, FAA legal. Has anyone else? I am talking USA, not Europe, Australia, Asia or Africa.
So, does this mean that the nearly $20K I have invested in V2 Enterprise drones and cameras can no longer be used for business purposes after September 15, 2023?

So, does this mean that the nearly $20K I have invested in V2 Enterprise drones and cameras can no longer be used for business purposes after September 15, 2023?
No. Did you not read anything?? You can attach an external self contained battery powered RID module. Just like attaching external lights.

The problem is finding these RID modules. The Dronetag Beacon is on backorder. Not sure about the other options.
There are plenty of RID modules on the market, just not a lot of cheap options. Dronetag is a small company they are out of their most popular option for a couple of weeks, probably because they are short a few parts for a minute. I wouldn't worry, the dronetag gets a lot of press but it won't end up being the most popular and affordable option. You will be able to find as many units as you can buy before the year is over.

Reactions: edgardcafe
There are not a whole bunch of FRIAs just yet probably because there isn't a need for them just yet. Perhaps it will become more popular as we get close to September. None of us really expect to drone at these "flying fields" because they really don't offer what we are looking for.

I don't feel abandoned by Autel. You are abandoned when you need someone and they are not there for you when you need them the most. When it comes to RID, I don't really need Autel. It would be nice but I don't expect it. What I need is an FAA-approved RID external module. You can find them here (just filter by RID):

Funny, while others "DJI, HOLY STONE etc." are making their past drones updated with RID Autel has not. I own two EVO2's ver1 and 2 and feel abandoned as I only purchased the last one a year ago. SHAME ON AUTEL

Perhaps once Autel sees the recent DJI announcement to back update a bunch of older drone models, they'll get on board as well.

"Hello,

Best Regards,

Drone Tag makes a mods which is on the FAA DOC Page, however, you can’t fly beyond vlos. Drone Tag jacked up their prices since they are one of the only ones around right now with that technology. I would suggest waiting until closer to September to see if other competitors join in and lower the market.

Reactions: EBERLS
I have a question no one has mentioned. If you have a sub 250g drone and need to add RID module, that would make the craft above 250g, no? That kinda sucks!
The rules are complicated, so understandable. In the US, if you need to add the RID module (for some reason), then the weight doesn't matter.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan