Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

RID response from Autel:

• Thread starter Deleted member 9417
  • Start date
I am seriously falling out of love with Autel. And if the Congress has its way, DJI will not be allowed to sell their drones in America.
Congress does a lot of shady stuff when it comes to Chinese products. I recently did a FOIA on the FCC regarding the Hikvision ban. As you may or may not know, Hikvision cameras do not have an explicit internet connectivity requirement. They most certainly will happily function on an isolated LAN, which throws any "spyware" argument they love to toss around out of the door.

I argued that cloud-connected products like Nest and Ring are actually more invasive and more prone to breaches simply because they are cloud-connected and do require an internet connection, as it has been demonstrated countless times in the media.

FCC got back to me with this bombshell:

I completely appreciate your points that (i) individual pieces or models of telecommunications and/or video surveillance equipment made by these companies may not in fact be proven to pose unacceptable security risks, and (ii) alternatives in the marketplace may be inferior, even significantly so, and may present security risks of their own. Stipulating those points for the sake of argument, I hope the above makes clear that (i) the FCC did not make such determinations as a matter of bureaucratic carelessness, but at the explicit direction of Congress and in coordination with Executive Branch agencies tasked with security questions by Congress, and (ii) it is utterly beyond the capabilities of the Commission to perform a credible security audit on every piece of licensed equipment.

In other words, FCC did not actually perform any kind of security audit on the products, but acted at the explicit direction of Congress. No questions asked. No pushback. Nothing. The "threat to national security" quoted in the publication was never actually defined or proven.

That is really screwed up.

"Hello,

Autel does not make agreement with the FAA on RID for EVO II V1/V2 Series.

Without remote ID, pilots only be allowed to operate at FAA-recognized identification areas (FRIAs) sponsored by community-based organizations or educational institutions. FRIAs are the only locations unmanned aircraft (drones and radio-controlled airplanes) may operate without broadcasting remote ID message elements."

If you have any further questions, feel free to reply directly to this email and I'd be happy to assist.
Best Regards,
Kristen| After-sales Technical Support

Don't know how it is in your area, but in KC the few AMA sanctioned flying fields that there are do not allow drones. So, bottom line: Autel has abandoned those of us who have drones older than about 18 months, or those who purchase(d) an EVO II V1/V2 series more recently. So far, I have not found any RID device that will make my drone, and maybe yours, FAA legal. Has anyone else? I am talking USA, not Europe, Australia, Asia or Africa.

Congress does a lot of shady stuff when it comes to Chinese products. I recently did a FOIA on the FCC regarding the Hikvision ban. As you may or may not know, Hikvision cameras do not have an explicit internet connectivity requirement. They most certainly will happily function on an isolated LAN, which throws any "spyware" argument they love to toss around out of the door.

I argued that cloud-connected products like Nest and Ring are actually more invasive and more prone to breaches simply because they are cloud-connected and do require an internet connection, as it has been demonstrated countless times in the media.

FCC got back to me with this bombshell:

In other words, FCC did not actually perform any kind of security audit on the products, but acted at the explicit direction of Congress. No questions asked. No pushback. Nothing. The "threat to national security" quoted in the publication was never actually defined or proven.

That is really screwed up.
Why does any of this not surprise me?

"Hello,

Autel does not make agreement with the FAA on RID for EVO II V1/V2 Series.

Without remote ID, pilots only be allowed to operate at FAA-recognized identification areas (FRIAs) sponsored by community-based organizations or educational institutions. FRIAs are the only locations unmanned aircraft (drones and radio-controlled airplanes) may operate without broadcasting remote ID message elements."

If you have any further questions, feel free to reply directly to this email and I'd be happy to assist.
Best Regards,
Kristen| After-sales Technical Support

Don't know how it is in your area, but in KC the few AMA sanctioned flying fields that there are do not allow drones. So, bottom line: Autel has abandoned those of us who have drones older than about 18 months, or those who purchase(d) an EVO II V1/V2 series more recently. So far, I have not found any RID device that will make my drone, and maybe yours, FAA legal. Has anyone else? I am talking USA, not Europe, Australia, Asia or Africa.

When The Evo 2 v.3 was released, Autel said that the v.1 and v.2 would not get RID by firmware update. BUT, that they, Autel, would manufacture a module for those craft for a reasonable fee. We are not to September yet, so they still have time to live up to their promises. I wouldn't hold your breath though because they are in the habit of not delivering on promises. One of the major reasons Ken Booth couldn't work for them any more.

View attachment 16106
And I was just told the opposite by Autel in an email just last Friday. The will NOT be offering an RID for v1/v2.

And I was just told the opposite by Autel in an email just last Friday. The will NOT be offering an RID for v1/v2.
hi train, let's be more specific:

likely true:
And I was just told the opposite by Autel in an email just last Friday. The will NOT be offering an RID software update for v1/v2.
not likely but still possible:

And I was just told the opposite by Autel in an email just last Friday. The will NOT be offering an RID external module for v1/v2.

hi train, let's be more specific:

likely true:

not likely but still possible:
"More specific?" All I can add is that I sent in my drone fto Autel for whatever repair might be necessary from spending a week in a tree and enduring two rain days. I asked if they could install/upgrade, or whatever, an RID device while it was in the shop. The response was "We do not offer RID for EVO Pro II (my model). You are on your own." There was more to the email, but that is the gist of it. DroneTag won't work either. So, I will soon have a bright orange doorstop.

• Sad
Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
"More specific?" All I can add is that I sent in my drone fto Autel for whatever repair might be necessary from spending a week in a tree and enduring two rain days. I asked if they could install/upgrade, or whatever, an RID device while it was in the shop. The response was "We do not offer RID for EVO Pro II (my model). You are on your own." There was more to the email, but that is the gist of it. DroneTag won't work either. So, I will soon have a bright orange doorstop.
I'm wondering if the $299 Drone Tag will mount mid-way on the prop protectors. As mid-way from the right front to the right rear. They hook up together.

I've only flown my EVO IIPro RTK with the guards just a couple of times, they're kinda of a pain in the *** putting on/off but on the second flight, they went on/off pretty good. The Drone Tag isn't that heavy, I don't think it would modify the flight characteristics.

I may be wrong though. Might try and put the same size and weight mid-guard to see if it would modify the flight behavior. If nothing else,put the same amount of weight on the other side.

Why will the DroneTag Mini not work on your Autel Evo II Pro but seems to work fine on several YouTube videos? I really want to know, I've ordered The DroneTag based upon the FAA approval and several YouTube videos from prominent drone creators. I've had no issues mounting a beacon light on my Evo II Pro V1 so I can't understand why I couldn't just put the DroneTag Mini where I have the beacon. I seldom need the beacon and there seems to be room for both anyway. Really, I'm concerned about your fears, maybe I've missed something.

Why will the DroneTag Mini not work on your Autel Evo II Pro but seems to work fine on several YouTube videos? I really want to know, I've ordered The DroneTag based upon the FAA approval and several YouTube videos from prominent drone creators. I've had no issues mounting a beacon light on my Evo II Pro V1 so I can't understand why I couldn't just put the DroneTag Mini where I have the beacon. I seldom need the beacon and there seems to be room for both anyway. Really, I'm concerned about your fears, maybe I've missed something.
train is either being disingenuous or he feels the dronetag will not work because he has been told by someone at autel that it won't work and he believes autel. but i'll let him reply with his thoughts but i bet you don't get a straight answer which is probably why he was "told" as such by autel; sometimes it's hard to deal with people. but i don't blame anyone, rid is complex and not always easy to understand. on rid-day-september we have no idea how this is exactly going to turn out because there are so many twists and turns.

Sure beacon light is no problem. I have one as well. All I can say is that the Autel CS person who emailed me said that the DroneTag will not work properly on the II. I do not see how there would be room for both the beacon and the DT on top. Here is the problem with compatibility: I did not know until I had bought mine that during the pandemic when chips were scarce, Autel just used whatever components they could find. This resulted in several versions of the II, each one expressed in a *dot....* designation. There was apparently enough difference in the various iterations to make some work with DT and some not. In any event, it is a moot point for me. I will not be spending $300 just to make the FAA happy. The RID is a fool's errand anyway, rant, rant. If someone is flying in an unsafe manner, and if the pilot is not obvious, how are the cops going to locate him/her/them if they do't even have an RID? Yes, I know that NFL/MLB stadium security and suchlike has equipment to monitor drone activity and locate the pilot, but I seriously doubt that the KCMO cops will be carrying it around. I also doubt that unless blood is shed and/or property severely damaged, that they would even show up. Heck, they do not even respond to auto collisions unless someone is bleeding or the drivers start shooting at each other, which does happen with some frequency in these parts. End of rant :)

At this point, you seem to be purposefully ignorant or disingenuous. You seem to be beyond help unless you open your mind. RID is easy to understand, just do it or get out of the sky, simple.

Well well, I would like to add the creative approach here. Autel could in theory come up with an upgraded battery type. Same format to fit inside all EVO 2 types. And inside the new battery pack the RID module could be integrated. Maybe makes the new battery cost $50 - $100 more than the current price.

This would even make Autel get a new cash flow from old aircrafts rather than leaving it up to third party developers. Since all of us will have to buy batteries as eventually our old batteries will die off, it sounds like a win win situation.

What I don't know is, how much it will cost to get such an approach FAA approved.

And I don't know how this could fit inside the battery pack the way it is now, without loss of capacity, but I emphasize it is in theory doable.

Last edited:
Sure beacon light is no problem. I have one as well. All I can say is that the Autel CS person who emailed me said that the DroneTag will not work properly on the II. I do not see how there would be room for both the beacon and the DT on top. Here is the problem with compatibility: I did not know until I had bought mine that during the pandemic when chips were scarce, Autel just used whatever components they could find. This resulted in several versions of the II, each one expressed in a *dot....* designation. There was apparently enough difference in the various iterations to make some work with DT and some not. In any event, it is a moot point for me. I will not be spending $300 just to make the FAA happy. The RID is a fool's errand anyway, rant, rant. If someone is flying in an unsafe manner, and if the pilot is not obvious, how are the cops going to locate him/her/them if they do't even have an RID? Yes, I know that NFL/MLB stadium security and suchlike has equipment to monitor drone activity and locate the pilot, but I seriously doubt that the KCMO cops will be carrying it around. I also doubt that unless blood is shed and/or property severely damaged, that they would even show up. Heck, they do not even respond to auto collisions unless someone is bleeding or the drivers start shooting at each other, which does happen with some frequency in these parts. End of rant :)
don't you think you're being a little dishonest by keep talking about kansas city when your profile says you live in olathe ks which is nothing like kck or kcmo? apparently you live in the one of the top 20 wealthiest county in the country yet you pretend like you have to deal with the gangsters that simply don't exist in johnson county and you pretend like the cops have problems when it isn't true. sure every city has it's issues but there's a police department near you over in your area that drives a tesla for the police car, did you know that?

Maybe we should wait until the FAA makes them available to us for $25.00 before complying.

Well well, I would like to add the creative approach here. Autel could in theory come up with an upgraded battery type. Same format to fit inside all EVO 2 types. And inside the new battery pack the RID module could be integrated. Maybe makes the new battery cost $50 - $100 more than the current price.

This would even make Autel get a new cash flow from old aircrafts rather than leaving it up to third party developers. Since all of us will have to buy batteries as eventually our old batteries will die off, it sounds like a win win situation.

What I don't know is, how much it will cost to get such an approach FAA approved.

And I don't know how this could fit inside the battery pack the way it is now, without loss of capacity, but I emphasize it is in theory doable.
So if you use 8 batteries, you would pay an extra $100 each and then more if/when they need replaced? And, if you use more than one model of drone you are out of luck?

Umm.. I don't think so! Try again? 😉

At this point, you seem to be purposefully ignorant or disingenuous. You seem to be beyond help unless you open your mind. RID is easy to understand, just do it or get out of the sky, simple.
And at this point you seem to be arrogant and without a clue. BTW, I do not take orders from you. Hope this helps :)

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmanvm