Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Return To Home altitude question.

FROM AUTEL

---- Within about 100 feet of its Home Point, Evo II has an automatic Return to Home altitude of 98 feet. This is regardless of what has been set by the pilot.

Outside of that 100 foot radius, the Return to Home altitude becomes whatever you have set. if you could please verify for me at what distance away from the home point you are performing the RTH function I would appreciate it. ---

Verified @ 100' (not in the manual). Thank you. Autel has great customer service.

Best regards,

Last edited:
FROM AUTEL

---- Within about 100 feet of its Home Point, Evo II has an automatic Return to Home altitude of 98 feet. This is regardless of what has been set by the pilot.

Outside of that 100 foot radius, the Return to Home altitude becomes whatever you have set. if you could please verify for me at what distance away from the home point you are performing the RTH function I would appreciate it. ---

Verified @ 100' (not in the manual). Thank you. Autel has great customer service.

Best regards,

Okay you've sparked my interest on seeing if this is true on how it's acting or performing. because I've never honestly witnessed this and perhaps you need to factory reset and re-flash / update your firmware again because it could have likely gotten some type of error when updating or something of that matter. but give me about 30 minutes to go and test / upload a video determining this issue that you have brought to my interest lmao..

Reactions: Tufargon
Okay you've sparked my interest on seeing if this is true on how it's acting or performing. because I've never honestly witnessed this and perhaps you need to factory reset and re-flash / update your firmware again because it could have likely gotten some type of error when updating or something of that matter. but give me about 30 minutes to go and test / upload a video determining this issue that you have brought to my interest lmao..
A failed update for firmware usually turns them into a brick and have to be sent back. Nice that you can do the test and see if what Autel confirms is true. I'm sure it is true.

A failed update for firmware usually turns them into a brick and have to be sent back. Nice that you can do the test and see if what Autel confirms is true. I'm sure it is true.
so I ended up eating dinner 4ight after the test, but it's confirmed in my testing that anything before 200' under 98' will revert to default of RTH value of 98ft upon return but if over 200' away and under pilot set RTH then it will advance to the users return value and ignore the default RTH. Now the only way this variable changes is if the drone is over 200' away from the homepoint and above the user inputs RTH value and then would it return at whatever height it currently is at for ex: RTH set to 125' but RTH is engaged at 150' the drone would head back at the current 150' rather than defending to the 125' that is set by the user. I hope this helps and will be posting the video shortly.

Correct. If the RTH altitude is lower than the height it's flying at it will resume RTH at the altitude it's at.

Correct. If the RTH altitude is lower than the height it's flying at it will resume RTH at the altitude it's at.
Have you read any of the posts on this thread?? I've posted this in due to another user having an issue with his return to home settings and drone behavior... So this is me putting in the steps and different variables so they understand how the drone works and how it's supposed to behave...

While flying at 50' altitude I tested RTH at less than 100' horizontal and altitude defaulted to 98'. Today I tested RTH at more than 200' horizontal and altitude went up as set, 208'. This 100' horizontal RTH crossover behavior was confirmed by Autel today.

Our trees are 200' tall.

Last edited:
Reactions: davery87
Yes. correct. Now I remember something under the EVO 1 manual that it was 65 Horizontal Meters that it went to the default of 98' and I guess they've mistaken to not mention that in the new manual or online or on any spec sheet lol. But I'm glad you know understand that no matter what, with the drone under the defaulted 98' and within 200 horizontal feet it will RTH defaulted to 98' high and if above 98' feet it will return with that current height or whatever you had it set to yourself.

Have you read any of the posts on this thread?? I've posted this in due to another user having an issue with his return to home settings and drone behavior... So this is me putting in the steps and different variables so they understand how the drone works and how it's supposed to behave...
Yes I have. I've contributed a small bit too. What Autel said was the way it should be and I should have thought of it sooner but it just didn't click in. Obviously there can be certain situations where it just doesn't work the way it's supposed to. Not saying you were wrong at all and glad you stepped in with your tests.

No No No No, stop right there mister lmao you can't change pretty much EVERY flight parameter with just the R/C if you choose to not fly with a mobile device connected or a live deck system add-on which is badass by the way and use it on almost every flight! BUT!! When you power on the R/C and the drone just go ahead and click in the right gimbal as if it were a button and then you will be greeted with the live display from the drone.. the you can utilize the same wheel you clicked in to scroll thru the bottom options and so you'll want to scroll over to the gear that is used for the settings menu and if you own a Android phone or device it'll look just like the settings gear they use as the icon too... BUT! after you click the wheel in on the settings gear you then have access to almost EVERY flight parameter except for intelligent flight modes and the things that you need for a mobile device but it's not very much different when you don't use a device since the Auto focus and WDR system works more proficiently and without the need to touch the screen like you would on a mobile device to let's say autofocus in on something or adjust exposure an those sorts of things.. but you can easily adjust RTH higher and any of the main flight parameters that are needing adjustment. Also on one other note, IF you are above your preset RTH altitude it won't really matter because it will sustain the current altitude you are at and return home, so if you're above those trees and have it stuck at 1pp ft then you'll be fine and it won't require a decent before it heads home lol so only if let's say you're low enough below your RTH and then RTH is engaged will you rise to the preset hight and return home... If you need any help or clarification just PM me and I'll tell you anything you need, I know these drones inside and out and don't want you to be misinformed and make wrong choices etc.. Happy flying and stay safe and stay healthy!!
Have you figured this out? I just got my Evo 2 and have only flown it once to get a feel for it ...every time I try and change the RTH height I get a Local and FAA law disclaimer and when I change to the desired height it always goes back to 98ft

Have you figured this out? I just got my Evo 2 and have only flown it once to get a feel for it ...every time I try and change the RTH height I get a Local and FAA law disclaimer and when I change to the desired height it always goes back to 98ft
RTH at 98 ft occurs
1) when it is set to 98
2) when set to Novice Mode or
3) when RTH activated within 100 feet horizontal to home point.

Do not fly in NO FLY ZONES. Planes often fly near treetop height near airports.

RTH at 98 ft occurs
1) when it is set to 98
2) when set to Novice Mode or
3) when RTH activated within 100 feet horizontal to home point.

Do not fly in NO FLY ZONES. Planes often fly near treetop height near airports.
Definitely was not in novice mode....nor in a no fly zone I simply cannot change it in the app without that disclaimer popping up

Definitely was not in novice mode....nor in a no fly zone I simply cannot change it in the app without that disclaimer popping up
My OS is old tried and true. I avoid updates. Others on this site may be of more help.

I'm a little confused about what exactly you're questioning on this exact subject at hand. There are 3 variables in which the RTH behaves in regards to the way it reacts on its way home. No, if you are in any way shape, or form within 100' of the initial takeoff point your drone will revert to a default of 98' and return home even if you are within 5' to 10' of the takeoff point it will shoot up to 98' and then proceed to land.
Secondly, if you are farther than the allotted 100' from your take-off point but under any distance limits or novice mode is activated, you will default to the 98' and return to the home that way.
Lastly, if you are not under any restrictions but under the user set RTH height then it will rise to user specifications and RTH that way, but Unless the drone is above a user set RTH height it will then continue RTH at whatever height it was activated at rather than descending to the user-specified height.

Also, make sure that if you're only using the R/C to change parameters to verify your selection by pressing the gimbal button again and not just clicking to go backward out of the menu because this doesn't save the parameter you chose and causes it to revert back to the latest set of specs.

I hope this helps you out with anything but if you have any other questions feel free to PM me and I'll go into it for further detail.

Reactions: UasDriver
No No No No, stop right there mister lmao you can change pretty much EVERY flight parameter with just the R/C if you choose to not fly with a mobile device connected or a live deck system add-on which is badass by the way and use it on almost every flight! BUT!! When you power on the R/C and the drone just go ahead and click in the right gimbal as if it were a button and then you will be greeted with the live display from the drone.. you can utilize the same wheel you clicked in to scroll thru the bottom options and so you'll want to scroll over to the gear that is used for the settings menu and if you own an Android phone or device it'll look just like the settings gear they use as the icon too... BUT! after you click the wheel in on the settings gear you then have access to almost EVERY flight parameter except for intelligent flight modes and the things that you need for a mobile device but it's not very much different when you don't use a device since the Autofocus and WDR system works more proficiently and without the need to touch the screen as you would on a mobile device to let's say autofocus in on something or adjust exposure those sorts of things... but you can easily adjust RTH higher and any of the main flight parameters that are needing adjustment. Also on one other note, IF you are above your preset RTH altitude it won't really matter because it will sustain the current altitude you are at and return home, so if you're above those trees and have it stuck at 1pp ft then you'll be fine and it won't require a decent before it heads home lol so only if let's say you're low enough below your RTH and then RTH is engaged will you rise to the preset height and return home... If you need any help or clarification just PM me and I'll tell you anything you need, I know these drones inside and out and don't want you to be misinformed and make wrong choices, etc.. Happy flying and stay safe and stay healthy!!
I have a few pertinent questions regarding the Autel evo 2 pro. Ex. How does the max height work if launching from a 400 ft. cliff and flying in canyons like Zions Nat. Park. Risks of disconectivity flying in mountain areas like that, plus limitations and safest RH settings and such...
My rmail to establish contact
[email protected]
I would love and appreciate your assistance! 🙏😁

I have a few pertinent questions regarding the Autel evo 2 pro. Ex. How does the max height work if launching from a 400 ft. cliff and flying in canyons like Zions Nat. Park. Risks of disconectivity flying in mountain areas like that, plus limitations and safest RH settings and such...
My rmail to establish contact
[email protected]
I would love and appreciate your assistance! 🙏😁
I don't know all of the details about a specific situation but if you standing on a 400 foot cliff and you launch, the homeport would be 0 AGL so the measurement starts where you take off and is measured in Above Ground Level. flying out and over the cliff means you can go negative in altitude. honestly if I were flying out there, I would set my altitude settings "really really high." ;)

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d