Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Midnight Express 77

Reaction score
Nano+ 1 month old after factory replacement with new.

New problem after updating. (Sep 19 23)

Updated to Autel Sky 1.6.8
Aircraft Firmware 1.8.5
Controller 2.0.0.10
IPhone 12pro iOS 17

Flys great. Shoot great. No issues except now randomly freezes and "aircraft disconnected" "rc disconnected"... Luckily there is a return to home button however no indication if it worked... Then when overhead and i could see it, the only thing you can do is exit the app out of memory and re open then all works... I tried different cords thinking it was a cord issue.

One other thing on subsequent app freezes and resets to know. When the app comes back on "home point is refreshed" is said and i verified on the map screen its where ever it is when the app reset..... There is a setting to have it come return to the rc location but thats in the app. Does anyone know if telling it to come home with the physical button will tell it to come back to the remote if the phone is disconnected? And if completely disconnected and the battery low will it automatically come to the rc location? Basically when you set the settings in the app- does it load it onto the aircraft incase of transmission drop?

Definitely starting to get range anxiety now.. Lol

All of these answers should be in the user guide so I suggest you read the manual first to make sure you are aware. Then go to a wide open area and practice these events so you can see for yourself. As you mentioned, if the setup is acting strangely, you'll want to test it first to make sure you know exactly how it work. Power off the remote to disconnect or pull the cable and observe what happens to your drone. The drones knows how to return to home without the remote controller so if you drop it into water, not going to be a problem. The drone likes to return to home rather than return to rc location unless you specifically tell it. Keep practicing until you no longer panic. :)

Reactions: Western NC
All of these answers should be in the user guide so I suggest you read the manual first to make sure you are aware. Then go to a wide open area and practice these events so you can see for yourself. As you mentioned, if the setup is acting strangely, you'll want to test it first to make sure you know exactly how it work. Power off the remote to disconnect or pull the cable and observe what happens to your drone. The drones knows how to return to home without the remote controller so if you drop it into water, not going to be a problem. The drone likes to return to home rather than return to rc location unless you specifically tell it. Keep practicing until you no longer panic. :)
Well thats just it.. When the app reloads. It refreshes home point. When you pull up the map it shows you the new home point. But if a disconnect happened again after and you could not get it going again especially when the battery goes low for auto RTH then hopefully it would follow the settings (mine is go above 150' and return to rc location) but no there is no mention if those settings are written to the aircraft when set.
If had it for a year now. Just replaced it under Autelcare with new vs warranty with refurb when my forward obstacle sensor kept sensing something at 8.5' away... Well aware how it flies and lands. Obs sensor went out when the blades failed to cut at same time and flipped. I never land anymore since then. Always stop and hover and grab. 6mo of no obs sensors was enough. Now I have 4 batteries with about 12-15 cycles each and the new one they sent with the Autelcare new replacement with 3 cycles.... So yeah I know what this bird can do. But these sudden disconnects is new minutes after the update and still does it 3 days after.. Definitely a bug.

RTH will bring the drone back to it's set homepoint OR how it's set in the app. The return to remote is a misnomer - as the drone returns to where the homepoint is set (works that way with all drones I've flown). Guess Autel takes it that pilots wait till HP is set and so that would be where the remote is; but real life is that pilots don't wait and take off no matter if enough GPS to grab a homepoint. The drone returns to that point.

App disconnect IS NOT the same as remote to drone disconnect. If the app has issues, you still have control with the remote. RTH will work even if there is a disconnect from the remote. It takes some seconds to do so and it may take some time depending on how far away the drone is and the AGL the drone goes to after RTH initiation. If you're flying at 150 ft and the RTH is set for 350 ft - then it takes some time to climb - then fly back to the set homepoint - where ever that is. So, make sure YOU KNOW where the homepoint sets as it takes off.

With the app issue - I'd uninstall, reboot the device, and reinstall. Most issues are the cable and maybe the one you tried was not the proper type - there are differences in cable types - one for power only and other for data. You need a data cable. Always good to have a spare or 2, esp with the gamer remote and how the antenna retracts if not using a phone in it - thus crimping the cable and possible failure.

If it's simply an app disconnect issue - you can manually fly the drone - so no need to freak out. Worst thing you can do. Hit the RTH button and wait till it reaches overhead - if HP set at your location. The drone will land from there. If off point - hit the RTH button again to stop RTH or you can even maneuver the drone with the sticks as it lands if slightly off from your spot.

If in the US or country with VLOS - the drone should never be where you can't see it; thus you should / can fly the drone home to YOU without using RTH at all. RTH is simply a failsafe for remote to drone disconnects - not a use all the time type of thing - although many use it for that; which is fine if you fly that way.

Final advice - watch a lot of YT video's on the Nano if you haven't to learn how the drone works. As for the manual - ditch it. Mine for the Lite is generic and written before many of the add-ons came into being. Thus of really no help. The YT videos (95%) are relevant and helpful.

Reactions: FOUNDRYRATJIM
RTH will bring the drone back to it's set homepoint OR how it's set in the app. The return to remote is a misnomer - as the drone returns to where the homepoint is set (works that way with all drones I've flown). Guess Autel takes it that pilots wait till HP is set and so that would be where the remote is; but real life is that pilots don't wait and take off no matter if enough GPS to grab a homepoint. The drone returns to that point.

App disconnect IS NOT the same as remote to drone disconnect. If the app has issues, you still have control with the remote. RTH will work even if there is a disconnect from the remote. It takes some seconds to do so and it may take some time depending on how far away the drone is and the AGL the drone goes to after RTH initiation. If you're flying at 150 ft and the RTH is set for 350 ft - then it takes some time to climb - then fly back to the set homepoint - where ever that is. So, make sure YOU KNOW where the homepoint sets as it takes off.

With the app issue - I'd uninstall, reboot the device, and reinstall. Most issues are the cable and maybe the one you tried was not the proper type - there are differences in cable types - one for power only and other for data. You need a data cable. Always good to have a spare or 2, esp with the gamer remote and how the antenna retracts if not using a phone in it - thus crimping the cable and possible failure.

If it's simply an app disconnect issue - you can manually fly the drone - so no need to freak out. Worst thing you can do. Hit the RTH button and wait till it reaches overhead - if HP set at your location. The drone will land from there. If off point - hit the RTH button again to stop RTH or you can even maneuver the drone with the sticks as it lands if slightly off from your spot.

If in the US or country with VLOS - the drone should never be where you can't see it; thus you should / can fly the drone home to YOU without using RTH at all. RTH is simply a failsafe for remote to drone disconnects - not a use all the time type of thing - although many use it for that; which is fine if you fly that way.

Final advice - watch a lot of YT video's on the Nano if you haven't to learn how the drone works. As for the manual - ditch it. Mine for the Lite is generic and written before many of the add-ons came into being. Thus of really no help. The YT videos (95%) are relevant and helpful.
I actually ditched the original cable immediately for a longer one that's 90 ° and can stay in the remote all the time. RTH did work on the first disconnect while the app was frozen. it wasn't till subsequent flights that I looked on the map where it puts the new home pin when the app is rebooted and it says "home point refreshed". remeber. I have had this for almost a year however the replacement received is about a month old now.
I have retested with multiple wires. The only thing I haven't done yet was test it with the same software version on my tablet to see if it can be replicated.
One thing I will try is to experiment with what it will do when the app is rebooted manually when the drone is elsewhere as well as when the remote is completely shut off and where it goes when the battery dies off.

funny thing with VLOS btw... how far out can you see your Nano? Are you watching it as you are watching the screen? now how does that work when running FPV goggles? guess you can't fly FPV without a spotter then.

I actually ditched the original cable immediately for a longer one that's 90 ° and can stay in the remote all the time. RTH did work on the first disconnect while the app was frozen. it wasn't till subsequent flights that I looked on the map where it puts the new home pin when the app is rebooted and it says "home point refreshed". remeber. I have had this for almost a year however the replacement received is about a month old now.
I have retested with multiple wires. The only thing I haven't done yet was test it with the same software version on my tablet to see if it can be replicated.
One thing I will try is to experiment with what it will do when the app is rebooted manually when the drone is elsewhere as well as when the remote is completely shut off and where it goes when the battery dies off.

funny thing with VLOS btw... how far out can you see your Nano? Are you watching it as you are watching the screen? now how does that work when running FPV goggles? guess you can't fly FPV without a spotter then.
"funny thing with VLOS btw... how far out can you see your Nano? Are you watching it as you are watching the screen? now how does that work when running FPV goggles? guess you can't fly FPV without a spotter then."

Most drones are hard to see when 1/8 - 1/4 mile. Esp the under 250g drones. Funny thing is - the FAA knows we look at our screens fairly often - so if you read the rule - you can look down at the screen and then look back up and spot the drone. If a pilot uses goggles - yes a spotter is required, also mentioned in the rules.

Some of us use an anti-collision / strobe light on the bottom of the drone in day flights to more readily identify the drone AFTER we look at the screen. Nothing I've read in the rules say that item is not useful for VLOS - like you can't use binoculars or multiple spotters not within speaking distance (no radios).

If you haven't had any issues for over a month - then why would the issue pop up now - if you've flown the drone. Yes, the app did / does have an update to it; so those with a clue can update their firmware on the drone as well.

Again - as stated - if you truly think it's an app issue and not a cable one - how hard is it to uninstall the app, reboot, and reinstall from the PlayStore. BTW - you never mention what device the issue in on - Apple or Android - as BTW - IT DOES MATTER!.

It also matters to not be a PITA when people respond to help. When do, then no help comes your way so your stuck figuring it out yourself - which you haven't done yet.

JUS SAYIN!

"funny thing with VLOS btw... how far out can you see your Nano? Are you watching it as you are watching the screen? now how does that work when running FPV goggles? guess you can't fly FPV without a spotter then."

Most drones are hard to see when 1/8 - 1/4 mile. Esp the under 250g drones. Funny thing is - the FAA knows we look at our screens fairly often - so if you read the rule - you can look down at the screen and then look back up and spot the drone. If a pilot uses goggles - yes a spotter is required, also mentioned in the rules.

Some of us use an anti-collision / strobe light on the bottom of the drone in day flights to more readily identify the drone AFTER we look at the screen. Nothing I've read in the rules say that item is not useful for VLOS - like you can't use binoculars or multiple spotters not within speaking distance (no radios).

If you haven't had any issues for over a month - then why would the issue pop up now - if you've flown the drone. Yes, the app did / does have an update to it; so those with a clue can update their firmware on the drone as well.

Again - as stated - if you truly think it's an app issue and not a cable one - how hard is it to uninstall the app, reboot, and reinstall from the PlayStore. BTW - you never mention what device the issue in on - Apple or Android - as BTW - IT DOES MATTER!.

It also matters to not be a PITA when people respond to help. When do, then no help comes your way so your stuck figuring it out yourself - which you haven't done yet.

JUS SAYIN!
Interesting thing about defining VLOS as well.. The camera. Seeing through the camera does give you full visual aid the same way VFR would be in an aircraft. IFR would be just flying with instruments which technically you could accomplish with the map and gymbal instruments... So as I see it, technically there is a grey area -which might actually hold up in court if it came to that.

Actually i did mention all the data including the phone at the top of the thread. What i didn't try was my iPad with the same software yet. App and firmwares just updated. Problem ever since. No issues before. Thats why I was asking if other people started seeing the same issues pop up when they had just gotten this new update. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling. Other models using the Autel Sky app may or may not have similar issues however I have outlined my findings and concerns in the original post but mine is the Nano+

"New problem after updating. (Sep 19 23)

Aircraft Firmware 1.8.5
Controller 2.0.0.10
IPhone 12pro iOS 17"

Update... I uninstalled and re installed... Had to change all settings back to what i like them but I managed to get through 3 batteries without issues. Hopefully thats the end of it. But when you delete the app, all flight logs that weren't uploaded are gone. You have to set your user programmable button up again, you have to change the speed of what your controls are set to and you have to turn on the grid, reticle and pin point if you use those as well. Gonna be a pain in the butt if you have to do a fresh install every app update if this glitch happens again.

I have just started a thread on this topic in general discussions. Same thing just started happening to well trusted Nano plus and Lite models today. Really bothers me and I need to get to the bottom of it.

I have just started a thread on this topic in general discussions. Same thing just started happening to well trusted Nano plus and Lite models today. Really bothers me and I need to get to the bottom of it.
Get to what exactly? Drones disconnect from the remote for MANY reasons. Without knowing much about where you are, what obstacles are in the area (a lot of cell phone traffic), distance, and more makes ALL of these type questions a BEST GUESS. App crashing - happens on DJI too. Typically, if the app stops working (is it app issue or is it drone to remote disconnect) and you restart the app - I've never noticed if it resets the homepoint. RTH is a last ditch safety feature should the drone disconnect from the remote. At a point - 3 to 10 seconds - the drone if not reconnected to the remote WILL RTH automatically. Knowing where your homepoint is - is key. 9 times out of 10 - the drone disconnects due to obstacles, cell interference, and flying too far away. Once within a closer range, the connection starts up again and you have full control. If you have control via sticks with the drone and something seems to be wrong - that is a remote to device issue (app / cord / etc). No need to RTH even then - as you have control of the drone. Yes, you can do RTH, but WHY if you can physically see the drone. If it makes you feel better, then RTH and land. Then figure out where the issue lies - app, cord, remote, or interference of some type. You can read the logs and they should tell you what happened, when, and why to a point.

Yes, the last firmware and app have issues -seems to be well known esp on Autel FB pages. Big question is - will Autel fix it, if they are aware? They are aware, but fixing it - doubtful or for awhile. Autel DOES NOT CARE about it's prosumer drone owners. They are ALL IN on enterprise and so if Autel does anything of value to the prosumer (Nano / Lite series) it'll be a miracle.

Interesting thing about defining VLOS as well.. The camera. Seeing through the camera does give you full visual aid the same way VFR would be in an aircraft. IFR would be just flying with instruments which technically you could accomplish with the map and gymbal instruments... So as I see it, technically there is a grey area -which might actually hold up in court if it came to that.

Actually i did mention all the data including the phone at the top of the thread. What i didn't try was my iPad with the same software yet. App and firmwares just updated. Problem ever since. No issues before. Thats why I was asking if other people started seeing the same issues pop up when they had just gotten this new update. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling. Other models using the Autel Sky app may or may not have similar issues however I have outlined my findings and concerns in the original post but mine is the Nano+

"New problem after updating. (Sep 19 23)

Aircraft Firmware 1.8.5
Controller 2.0.0.10
IPhone 12pro iOS 17"

WOW, just wow. You've been a drone pilot for how long - 10 second? READ THE RULES! You're not in a manned aircraft and DRONE RULES are different. VLOS - VISUAL LINE OF SIGHT. Means YOU the pilot must be able to identify where the drone is if say an FAA person walked up and asked. Are you going to show them your device and say - RIGHT THERE, where the camera is pointed to? Please do that and let us know how it works out for you. Same applies to googles. Can you take the googles off and point out to that FAA person exactly where the drone is? Doubtful. So, thus the need for a spotter standing within voice contact of you. No radio's, not walkie talkies - only within hearing range. Thus why a pilot can't fly 3 miles downrange as they can't see the drone and even if you have spotters all along the way - the FAA does not allow it.

Technically - even strobes / anti-collision lights are an AID per the FAA and not allowed to be factored in for VLOS.

Bottom line is - what you do, how you fly, how far you fly, how you interpret the rules, and more is on you should something happen and the FAA or now with RID - law enforcement become involved.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo