Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Return To Home altitude question.

sunflower

Reaction score
What is the minimum altitude for RTH? I can not set it less than 98 feet (novice is off). I reloaded 2.2.3. twice.

My related problem is I can not make the drone RTH above 98 feet irregardless of settings. Our trees are 150+ feet tall.

Everything else with this new EVO II Pro is good to go.

Last edited:
That usually (at least with the XSP) has to be set while the drone and RC are connected or it won't save.

The menu is not accessible unless the drone and RC are both on and connected. I am able to fly above 200 feet just not able to RTH above 98 feet or set it below 98 feet.

Another thing with the XSP is that if you were still in beginner mode you couldn't change some things. Best I can do without actually owning any EVO.

That usually (at least with the XSP) has to be set while the drone and RC are connected or it won't save.
This is a common trait even with DJI quads regarding the RTH settings as well as the Max Altitude & Distance limits: you have to be powered on and connected.

The other item that is common between DJI and Autel's flight apps is that you first have to set the MAXIMUM FLIGHT ALT to a higher setting than you want the RTH ALT setting to be. Then you should be able to set the RTH ALT to what you desire it to be for your flight area. Since the setting will remain at the previous saved value, if you were flying in NOVICE mode, that would affect the MAX ALT setting, since the Autel Novice Mode limits are as follows (per the Explorer App Manual): " If this mode is enabled, the maximum flight speed is fixed at 5 m/s, altitude at 30 m, and distance at 100 m." If never set to another setting since 1st operation, the Default Values for MAX ALT and RTH (Go Home) ALT are 120m/360ft and 30m/90ft, respectively.

Last edited:
One other note: IF you are only flying with the R/C controller, you are stuck with the default GO HOME (RTH) Altitude setting of 30m / 90 ft. The only way to set some other value is through the Explorer App on a phone or tablet connected to your controller.

One other note: IF you are only flying with the R/C controller, you are stuck with the default GO HOME (RTH) Altitude setting of 30m / 90 ft. The only way to set some other value is through the Explorer App on a phone or tablet connected to your controller.

No No No No, stop right there mister lmao you can change pretty much EVERY flight parameter with just the R/C if you choose to not fly with a mobile device connected or a live deck system add-on which is badass by the way and use it on almost every flight!

BUT!! When you power on the R/C and the drone just go ahead and click in the right gimbal as if it were a button and then you will be greeted with the live display from the drone.. you can utilize the same wheel you clicked in to scroll thru the bottom options and so you'll want to scroll over to the gear that is used for the settings menu and if you own an Android phone or device it'll look just like the settings gear they use as the icon too...

BUT! after you click the wheel in on the settings gear you then have access to almost EVERY flight parameter except for intelligent flight modes and the things that you need for a mobile device but it's not very much different when you don't use a device since the Autofocus and WDR system works more proficiently and without the need to touch the screen as you would on a mobile device to let's say autofocus in on something or adjust exposure those sorts of things... but you can easily adjust RTH higher and any of the main flight parameters that are needing adjustment.

Also on one other note, IF you are above your preset RTH altitude it won't really matter because it will sustain the current altitude you are at and return home, so if you're above those trees and have it stuck at 1pp ft then you'll be fine and it won't require a decent before it heads home lol so only if let's say you're low enough below your RTH and then RTH is engaged will you rise to the preset height and return home...

If you need any help or clarification just PM me and I'll tell you anything you need, I know these drones inside and out and don't want you to be misinformed and make wrong choices, etc.. Happy flying and stay safe and stay healthy!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave.mp4
I'm sorry I misspoke about the wheel selector it's the Disp. for display button on the side of the gimbal button but you select that when the R/C first boots up and then you use the wheel selector and click it down on the gear menu and then you'll bring up all the flight settings..

Last edited:
No No No No, stop right there mister lmao you can't change pretty much EVERY flight parameter with just the R/C if you choose to not fly with a mobile device connected or a live deck system add-on which is badass by the way and use it on almost every flight! BUT!! When you power on the R/C and the drone just go ahead and click in the right gimbal as if it were a button and then you will be greeted with the live display from the drone.. the you can utilize the same wheel you clicked in to scroll thru the bottom options and so you'll want to scroll over to the gear that is used for the settings menu and if you own a Android phone or device it'll look just like the settings gear they use as the icon too... BUT! after you click the wheel in on the settings gear you then have access to almost EVERY flight parameter except for intelligent flight modes and the things that you need for a mobile device but it's not very much different when you don't use a device since the Auto focus and WDR system works more proficiently and without the need to touch the screen like you would on a mobile device to let's say autofocus in on something or adjust exposure an those sorts of things.. but you can easily adjust RTH higher and any of the main flight parameters that are needing adjustment. Also on one other note, IF you are above your preset RTH altitude it won't really matter because it will sustain the current altitude you are at and return home, so if you're above those trees and have it stuck at 1pp ft then you'll be fine and it won't require a decent before it heads home lol so only if let's say you're low enough below your RTH and then RTH is engaged will you rise to the preset hight and return home... If you need any help or clarification just PM me and I'll tell you anything you need, I know these drones inside and out and don't want you to be misinformed and make wrong choices etc.. Happy flying and stay safe and stay healthy!!
Thanks for the update. However, since the OP was speaking from a new user point of view, he may not have done anything but use the R/C settings as is. It is great that you can access the detailed settings using only the R/C, but many may not be as adept at that process when flying for the first few times, especially if you follow the PR about not needing a separate device. Bottom line - he can set the RTH altitude higher than the default 30m setting as long as he uses the Settings menu via the App or the R/C Menu entry method.
> But my point about not being able to set the RTH Altitude to any value you want without first ensuring the Max Altitude Setting is at least that high is still true, no matter how you access the Settings menu.

I'm sorry I misspoke about the wheel selector it's the Disp. for display button on the side of the gimbal button but you select that when the R/C first boots up and then you use the wheel selector and click it down on the gear menu and then you'll bring up all the flight settings..

Thank you for that, finally some knowledge. I am beginning to suspect a fatal firmware flaw. Here is one test: (just the controller no smartphone) Maximum height set at 200 ft. RTH altitude set at 150 ft. Fly at 50 ft. Press RTH. Drone goes up to 98 ft. Lands 4 ft. from Home. This is dangerous near tall trees when I fly low in clearings. I am talking with Autel. They may not be able to fix a design flaw. Is this RTH "proven defective in material or workmanship that results in product failure" embedded in all EVO IIs? I really really like the EVO II. I am concerned.

Note: I am able to fly manually without any problems. Never flew Novice due to the risk of low altitude RTH.

Thanks for the update. However, since the OP was speaking from a new user point of view, he may not have done anything but use the R/C settings as is. It is great that you can access the detailed settings using only the R/C, but many may not be as adept at that process when flying for the first few times, especially if you follow the PR about not needing a separate device. Bottom line - he can set the RTH altitude higher than the default 30m setting as long as he uses the Settings menu via the App or the R/C Menu entry method.
> But my point about not being able to set the RTH Altitude to any value you want without first ensuring the Max Altitude Setting is at least that high is still true, no matter how you access the Settings menu.

Yea, I understand that; that's why I was offering assistance in any way they may need due to that very fact... Anyways No one should really touch the defaulted 800 meters that are set by the manufacturer lol there's no point really and I'm sure they might have messed with it but I have a video I'm trying to post to the site but is being mean and not letting me due to file size lol, that's what I get for recording a simple demo in 4K XD but I will have it up momentarily to clarify some things with the menu etc...

Here is one test: (just the controller no smartphone) Maximum height set at 200 ft. RTH altitude set at 150 ft. Fly at 50 ft. Press RTH. Drone goes up to 98 ft.
I might be missing something but what you just explained is exactly how it should react.

Here is the video as I had to trim A LOT out lol and compress it due to me accidentally recording the Demo in 4K lmao but this is just a basic intro for those who would like a little insight as to how you use the dedicated controls on the R/C without any external device input etc... EVO R/C Demo

Reactions: mreloc and Tufargon
Here is the video as I had to trim A LOT out lol and compress it due to me accidentally recording the Demo in 4K lmao but this is just a basic intro for those who would like a little insight as to how you use the dedicated controls on the R/C without any external device input etc...EVO R/C Demo

There I have updated it with the correct link so you aren't forced to download it but taken to the album on the suite which it is displayed lol thanks for stopping by!

Thanks. I hope it is just me, and not anybody else, with the problem of low altitude RTH.
It must be me. How could such a dangerous problem go unnoticed by so many?

Last edited:
RTH stuck at low altitude is dangerous. Should we stop flying the drone?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials