Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Remote ID and the Nano(+)

Unless you're using your Nano+ for work under your 107 cert, there's no need to worry about RID.
Hi Eagle, not necessarily so. If you want to attach a strobe light, landing gear, or prop guards the Nano+ will be over 250g and require RID.

BTW, the FAA again reached out to me to inform me that the initial problem registering my Nano+ was an Autel problem, not the FAA. The FAA reply:

"Since your inquiry, we have learned that Autel violates the CTA-2063A standard, which requires that letters“O” and “I” are not to be used. The problem is with Autel.

Paul
Paul Hamilton"

Regards,
Richard

Reactions: Eagle928
Hi Eagle, not necessarily so. If you want to attach a strobe light, landing gear, or prop guards the Nano+ will be over 250g and require RID.

BTW, the FAA again reached out to me to inform me that the initial problem registering my Nano+ was an Autel problem, not the FAA. The FAA reply:

"Since your inquiry, we have learned that Autel violates the CTA-2063A standard, which requires that letters“O” and “I” are not to be used. The problem is with Autel.

Paul
Paul Hamilton"

Regards,
Richard
Good points on attaching accessories. I didn't think about that.

I have two Nano+ drones. One is for recreational flying and other is for using it under 107 so today I checked to see if I could register the RID number after doing the update. Actually I uninstalled and reinstalled the app so it was like installing it from scratch.

What I found is the Aircraft SN and the RID SN were reversed. The RID number was too short so it gave me an 'Invalid Number' message. I noticed the Aircraft SN was longer so I gave that a try and it accepted it. I also noticed the AC SN had changed which I thought was really strange. All I know is I am now compliant to the best of my ability. I didn't have to change any 'O's' to zeroes. This entire RID thing is a total cluster F in my opinion. It's not for recreational flyers to be more safe or to help 107 flyers to be more safe so I can only assume it's for something else. Perhaps the BVLOS aircraft being used for deliveries.

I get the feeling Autel has all but abandoned the Nano and Lite series drones. In fact if you go to the Autel Robotics product webpage, neither is even listed anymore. I guess that's their way of telling us we are on our own now. I find this to be a real shame because I really like the little Nano+ drones when the wind is under 10 mph.

I don't know why they couldn't do the same RID thing for the Evo 2P V1 and V2 drones. Maybe they will in time. I like to use my E2P V1 for longer flights and higher wind conditions.

I guess all we can do is go along with whatever Autel decides it wants to give us at this point. At least the batteries should be available for a few more years on both platforms.

I'm getting a little long in the tooth and I despise DJI's geoblocking even though I own a 2s and Mini 3p. When it gets to be too complicated or too much of a pain in the butt, I'll hang up my multi-rotors for good.

Hi Eagle, IMO Autel is getting out of the consumer drone business. I still have two EVO ll V1 drones that I use for mapping. It's really a shame since Autel was the closest completer to DJI. I have most of the DJI drones, but always appreciated the camera quality of my Autel's. HolyStone recently had RID module available. I purchase one to try. Amazon currently lists that module as unavailable since the batch they had sold out in just a few hours. There was a 20% off coupon that brought the price to $47, The link to the Amazon HolyStone RID module:

IMO the FAA speculation on the probable price of a RID module for $50 seems correct. Most blame the FAA for this RID crap, but the real culprit is congress. I still think that RID as a drone license plate will fail. Most of our drones are simply toys that have never ever hurt anyone. To attempt to regulate toys is destine for failure.

Regards,
Richard

Reactions: Eagle928
Hi Eagle, IMO Autel is getting out of the consumer drone business. I still have two EVO ll V1 drones that I use for mapping. It's really a shame since Autel was the closest completer to DJI. I have most of the DJI drones, but always appreciated the camera quality of my Autel's. HolyStone recently had RID module available. I purchase one to try. Amazon currently lists that module as unavailable since the batch they had sold out in just a few hours. There was a 20% off coupon that brought the price to $47, The link to the Amazon HolyStone RID module:

IMO the FAA speculation on the probable price of a RID module for $50 seems correct. Most blame the FAA for this RID crap, but the real culprit is congress. I still think that RID as a drone license plate will fail. Most of our drones are simply toys that have never ever hurt anyone. To attempt to regulate toys is destine for failure.

Regards,
Richard
I look forward to hearing how your Holystone RID module works with other drones. It looks like it doesn't come with a battery so I'm curious how that works for you also.

I was wrong about Autel not listing the Lite and Nano series. I didn't realize they had a different page for those. It's still there.

The AutelSky app says "broadcasting" and provides a text box to add and save a message. The OpenDroneID and Drone Scanner apps do not "see" my recently purchased Nano+ even when directly overhead. I did the recent firmware update to V1.8.5 after updating the AutelSky app. Has anyone been able to see RID from their Nano+?

I've noticed that messages entered into the text box and "saved" are not there after the RC is turned off and restarted. Is this a clue that RID does not function on a Nano+?
I have a Nano. I upgraded and am experiencing the same things. It also doesn't show up on the two apps I put on my phone. Does the fact that I have not registered it with the FAA that it doesn't show? I am a recreational flyer and have no desire to register, but I also don't need any Karen's harassing me.

I have a Nano. I upgraded and am experiencing the same things. It also doesn't show up on the two apps I put on my phone. Does the fact that I have not registered it with the FAA that it doesn't show? I am a recreational flyer and have no desire to register, but I also don't need any Karen's harassing me.
If you fly the <250g Nano for recreational purposes, you don't have to register it with the FAA even if it has standard RID. How your drone functions and whatever is in the [broken] FAA database are completely independent.

I just made to the jump to Autel from DJI. So far so good, but I am seeing the same issue with the RID from the Nano+ not showing up on any apps designed to scan for RID in the area. I see a message about RID Broadcasting at the beginning of the flight, but never see it on the apps. I'm going to assume that everything is ok and just fly. And I'm in complete agreement with you about the Karen's!

My goal is to stay within the boundaries of this unnecessary new law. If you feel you have done that then I'd say just go about your business.

Under 250g is exempt from RID anyway unless it's used for commercial work.

I just made to the jump to Autel from DJI. So far so good, but I am seeing the same issue with the RID from the Nano+ not showing up on any apps designed to scan for RID in the area. I see a message about RID Broadcasting at the beginning of the flight, but never see it on the apps. I'm going to assume that everything is ok and just fly. And I'm in complete agreement with you about the Karen's!
The Lite series uses the same app and it does need to be RID compliant. Perhaps what we are seeing in the app when flying the Nano is it not knowing the difference, which does seem odd but this is Autel we're talking about. Their software developers are kinda slow in getting out the updates for things like this. Also, most long-time Autel drone fliers will say it's best not to update if everything is working fine unless you have to, such as for an RID update.

My goal is to stay within the boundaries of this unnecessary new law. If you feel you have done that then I'd say just go about your business.

Under 250g is exempt from RID anyway unless it's used for commercial work.
I agree with you on this. This is just a big government overreach.

The Lite series uses the same app and it does need to be RID compliant. Perhaps what we are seeing in the app when flying the Nano is it not knowing the difference, which does seem odd but this is Autel we're talking about. Their software developers are kinda slow in getting out the updates for things like this. Also, most long-time Autel drone fliers will say it's best not to update if everything is working fine unless you have to, such as for an RID update.
Makes sense. I flew for a police department so I have my Part107, and I occasionally get paid for private work, but the majority of the time is recreational. DJI was the same with updates, then the updates would be horrible. I just bought the Nano a few weeks ago, so I'm still trying to get used to it. Thanks.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials