Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Remote ID and the Nano(+)

Eagle928

Reaction score
Any word on if the sub 250g Nano drones will have Remote ID switched on like they are with the DJI sub 250g drones?

I want to avoid that entire hot mess if I can. I guess I'll be selling my E2P V1 kit for the same reason.

i am hoping there will be a module for the v1 and the nano doesn't need rid if you fly recreational.
I'm hoping the same thing. I see there is a module available but it's $300. Something in the neighborhood of free to $100 would be acceptable I guess. I don't know why the V1 and V2 can't just get a firmware update. It does reduce the benefit of not having geofencing on the Autel drones though. The entire RID thing is a hot mess in my opinion. Not needed and not wanted. It's also dangerous since it allows anyone to see where the ground control station and person is located. I can understand Law Enforcement having access to that info but not joe blow karen.

I recently ordered up a Nano+ just so I could keep flying anonymously. I didn't get the Mini 3 because they are RID compliant. I'll keep my Mini 2 because it isn't. It's a great little flier.

You can add RID info on the Autel Sky app so I guess that bit is up to you. I don't think its on by default but I stand to be corrected.

Reactions: Eagle928
You can add RID info on the Autel Sky app so I guess that bit is up to you. I don't think its on by default but I stand to be corrected.
Interesting. So any drone connected to the Sky app can be RID compliant. I'm guessing that includes the newer Lite, Lite+, Nano, and Nano+. Correct?

What about the Autel Explorer app that the Evo 2 uses?

The really key thing is being able to turn it on or off. That would set Autel apart from the draconian DJI method.

I look at it going thing like when analog TV ended and it all went digital. The government gave you a couple converter boxes so no one could claim financial hardship. When it becomes necessary I imagine a stipend towards the cost will be presented.

I look at it going thing like when analog TV ended and it all went digital. The government gave you a couple converter boxes so no one could claim financial hardship. When it becomes necessary I imagine a stipend towards the cost will be presented.
An interesting viewpoint. The result is most people did go along with it but as time went on a percentage of the public found interesting ways around paying this "stipend" and still do. It's a gray area. Not illegal but probably not 100% legal either.

I remember when you could buy a modified converter box on the black market that would get all the pay channels for free. Do you remember those? Same concept.

Reactions: mark.stolz
perhaps they should offer a free government external module but im not so sure i would trust it. ;)

It looks like Evo 2 is listed but it isn't clear if that's all of them or a single model.
There is a serial number range. I guess that's the way to check.

I had the same debate. I dug deeper on the FAA website and contacted Autel, both confirmed that it only applies to the Evo 2 V3, not the V2. So V2 will require a remote ID tag... the big question is will there be other ID tag solutions other than the one that is available and authorized as of today. Bulky and not the most wallet-friendly option.

Reactions: Eagle928
I had the same debate. I dug deeper on the FAA website and contacted Autel, both confirmed that it only applies to the Evo 2 V3, not the V2. So V2 will require a remote ID tag... the big question is will there be other ID tag solutions other than the one that is available and authorized as of today. Bulky and not the most wallet-friendly option.
The cheapest module I've seen so far is $125. Hopefully we will see them from Autel and DJI at their cost or close to it. I don't know if a module made for DJI will work on a module made for another brand. I kinda doubt it.

This entire RID thing is nothing more than a hot steaming pile IMHO. It's enough to make me fly sub 250g drones most the time. I'm sure many will simply not comply unless the FAA comes after them.

Reactions: ethelsnakes
The cheapest module I've seen so far is $125. Hopefully we will see them from Autel and DJI at their cost or close to it. I don't know if a module made for DJI will work on a module made for another brand. I kinda doubt it.

This entire RID thing is nothing more than a hot steaming pile IMHO. It's enough to make me fly sub 250g drones most the time. I'm sure many will simply not comply unless the FAA comes after them.
I'm curious about the brand of module you are referring to. It already beats the $300 price tag for the unit that is currently authorized by the FAA.
I'm unaware of the plans for manufacturers to develop anything. So far, they are using onboard/existing equipment with firmware updates to activate the RID. I can imagine they would be reluctant to add to their product roadmap something that does not enhance product performance, especially considering most of them have the hardware onboard.
I can see the use case for the device, and at the same time acknowledge how it complicates things for all of us. It also tangles with the second-hand market as it increases the price of a pre-owned drone if you slap the RID unit's purchase price. the "250 solution" can probably work for many users.

the aftermarket scene is going to be a nightmare during the transition period especially if you factor in the lack of education, the confusion, and the deception/fraud.

drones will be sold claiming they are "rid-ready" or rid-capable or compatible with rid modules or ready-to-fly no rid needed or rid module included....what is that?

I just updated my EVO Lite + and have working Remote ID, I checked the FAA website and found the Lite + listed but I could not find the Autel Nano + listed.

This is from Autel:

Which Autel EVO Drones Have Remote ID?​

At present, Autel EVO drone does not have a drone with remote ID. In the future, the Autel remote ID technology may be updated with the firmware upgrade technology of consumer drones, but you can fly your drone without a remote ID until September 2023.

Can I Fly Autel Drone Without Remote ID?​

Until the FAA's long-range ID provisions go into effect, you can fly your drone as usual, subject to laws and regulations.

Do Drones Under 250g Need Remote ID?​

In the US, if your drone weighs less than 0.55 lb (250 g), registration is not required. This also means that your drone doesn't need a remote ID. If your drone weighs between 0.55 pounds and 55 pounds, it must be registered with the FAA. If it must be registered, it must also have a remote ID.

Autel consumer drone series, EVO Nano series do not require registration, EVO Nano and EVO Nano+ are less than 250g, EVO Lite series and EVO II series drones are limited.

In the US, if your drone weighs less than 0.55 lb (250 g), registration is not required. This also means that your drone doesn't need a remote ID (RID).

If you fly anything the FCC wants control. The "NEW" AC 91-57C explains Community Based Organizations (CBO) for Recreational Flyers but the bottom line is a less that 250g drone being used to check rain gutters is not a Recreational Drone, it is a FAA Part 107 Drone that needs to be registered and have RID.

The FAA is creating law that is based on vaguely worded 'guide lines' with the interpretation favoring the FAA. Being the fact that they have unlimited lawyers and funds for dragging people through the court system the 'Recreational Flyer' issue is creating a nightmare for the public. Hand launching/catching full sized drones is scary, I travel from different locations along a dirt road stopping at ditch gateways (50 feet to 1/2 mile from the road) to measure water flow. I can step out of the car, turn the drone on and launch by hand in a couple of minutes, if I have to use a landing pad to launch add 10~15 minutes. I've tried using the roof of a car but the metal screws up the compass sometimes or the cars antenna is an issue.
I can park at the center of the 7 mile ditch and visit every gate BUT because of VLOS, I would be breaking the law since I can not see the drone pass 3,000 feet even with a strobe.

I'm curious about the brand of module you are referring to. It already beats the $300 price tag for the unit that is currently authorized by the FAA.
I'm unaware of the plans for manufacturers to develop anything. So far, they are using onboard/existing equipment with firmware updates to activate the RID. I can imagine they would be reluctant to add to their product roadmap something that does not enhance product performance, especially considering most of them have the hardware onboard.
I can see the use case for the device, and at the same time acknowledge how it complicates things for all of us. It also tangles with the second-hand market as it increases the price of a pre-owned drone if you slap the RID unit's purchase price. the "250 solution" can probably work for many users.
"I'm unaware of the plans for manufacturers to develop anything."
Anything built must be 'certified' by the FCC then the FAA, you're talking about deep pockets and a year at the least.
"250 solution"
At $1,500 a violation because the FAA interpreted a flight as NOT Recreational would you really want the stress of worrying about it?

In the US, if your drone weighs less than 0.55 lb (250 g), registration is not required. This also means that your drone doesn't need a remote ID (RID).

If you fly anything the FCC wants control. The "NEW" AC 91-57C explains Community Based Organizations (CBO) for Recreational Flyers but the bottom line is a less that 250g drone being used to check rain gutters is not a Recreational Drone, it is a FAA Part 107 Drone that needs to be registered and have RID.

The FAA is creating law that is based on vaguely worded 'guide lines' with the interpretation favoring the FAA. Being the fact that they have unlimited lawyers and funds for dragging people through the court system the 'Recreational Flyer' issue is creating a nightmare for the public. Hand launching/catching full sized drones is scary, I travel from different locations along a dirt road stopping at ditch gateways (50 feet to 1/2 mile from the road) to measure water flow. I can step out of the car, turn the drone on and launch by hand in a couple of minutes, if I have to use a landing pad to launch add 10~15 minutes. I've tried using the roof of a car but the metal screws up the compass sometimes or the cars antenna is an issue.
I can park at the center of the 7 mile ditch and visit every gate BUT because of VLOS, I would be breaking the law since I can not see the drone pass 3,000 feet even with a strobe.
how does this translate into real world activities? and what do you make about the "in furtherance of a business" part of 107?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58