Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Remote ID and the Nano(+)

I think without the support of Autel it is not possible to downgrade anything, nor the drone nor the remote. At least I didn't find any description of how it can be done.

Another interesting thing is, that I found both of our Nano+ serial numbers in the FAA list for remote ID enabled/compliant drones, while only one has the REMOTE ID menu and transmits it.
Based on the serial numbers, the RID-capable Nano+ is newer than the other drone (which is not sending RID), but the remote controller is the opposite, the remote of the RID-capable Nano+ is older.

The sticker is also a bit different on the two remote (see pictures).

Attachments

• Remote_AP.jpg
    Remote_AP.jpg
    814 KB · Views: 5
  • Remote_PT.jpg
    Remote_PT.jpg
    780.7 KB · Views: 5
Can any Nano+ owners comment on how remote ID works for their drone? Curious if it can be switched off, as I am looking to get one to fly purely recreationally without the need for RID.
I was wondering if someone can elaborate a little more on this!

I am currently looking into purchasing a nano+ solely for recreational and isolated to my own property. After getting familiar with all the rules and such I of course noticed the new RID requirements. As someone that will only fly within my own property, that causes some concern to me that I would be broadcasting, I guess.

Can anyone confirm whether this RID is hardware based, will or will not be activated upon a firmware update and lastly, can it be completely disabled if flying within accordance?

Many thanks for any information.

See my answer (previous message) regarding the remote controllers.

For me, it seems that transmitting RID or not transmitting could be (also?) remote controller HW version and the compatible FW dependent.
At least we have all the same FW on my and my son's drone, but the remote controller FW.
We did the FW update at the same time, and my remote controller got 1.xx FW as an update, while the other remote controller got 2.xx FW. The difference could be only due to HW version differences.

The drone with the 1.xx remote controller's FW transmits RID, the other does not.

There is no way to switch off the broadcasting of RID in the AutelSky application. The only thing you can do is, you can enter the purpose of the flight, so probably that will be also broadcast.

What I might do to clarify the remote dependency to cross-pair the drones and remote controllers, but I don't know what conclusion we can derive out of it in the end... Maybe, if it really depends on the remote controller to have RID or not.

Reactions: wafflez
I think without the support of Autel it is not possible to downgrade anything, nor the drone nor the remote. At least I didn't find any description of how it can be done.

Another interesting thing is, that I found both of our Nano+ serial numbers in the FAA list for remote ID enabled/compliant drones, while only one has the REMOTE ID menu and transmits it.
Based on the serial numbers, the RID-capable Nano+ is newer than the other drone (which is not sending RID), but the remote controller is the opposite, the remote of the RID-capable Nano+ is older.

The sticker is also a bit different on the two remote (see pictures).
The drone you can down/up-grade easily. You just need to copy the firmware to the sd-card and create a force-upgrade file. But I didn't find the firmware for the RC :(

Reactions: Szeker
The drone you can down/up-grade easily. You just need to copy the firmware to the sd-card and create a force-upgrade file. But I didn't find the firmware for the RC :(
Ah, that sounds good!

And from where can I download an older FW? And how do you create a force-upgrade file?
I just want to try out to downgrade the FW, as I have issues with the rear obstacle avoidance sensors, and I see a little chance, that it is a FW update issue.

have a look here: Roll back firmware
but with the newest controller update, the drone will no longer be detected by the RC when you do a rollback to an older firmware. To fix this, Autel provided me the last firmware-file to manually upgrade to the most recent firmware. This is why I am interested in downgrading the RC (in my case all the stitching fails with the most recent firmwares)

Reactions: Szeker
I flew this afternoon (9/16) and neither OpenDroneID or DroneScanner apps saw my Nano +. The RC is version V2.xxx and the text box for RID "fill-in" information opened as soon as the drone & RC were connected. It says "broadcasting" under Remote ID in the app menu. So my question remains -- is the drone really broadcasting RID or is the RC/app just saying it is?

I flew this afternoon (9/16) and neither OpenDroneID or DroneScanner apps saw my Nano +. The RC is version V2.xxx and the text box for RID "fill-in" information opened as soon as the drone & RC were connected. It says "broadcasting" under Remote ID in the app menu. So my question remains -- is the drone really broadcasting RID or is the RC/app just saying it is?
It's probably really broadcasting, maybe you just can't pick it up. Just curious, why do you care?

It's probably really broadcasting, maybe you just can't pick it up. Just curious, why do you care?
I'm a recreational pilot and don't need RID. I purchased the Nano + because it doesn’t require RID. I have a Bluemark DB120 module for my Evo 2 Pro v1 and it has a feature that allows the module to comply and be seen by the FAA and law enforcement but not by the "Karen" phone apps. I've seen it demonstrated with OpenDroneID app and it works but I prefer a drone that doesn't require RID.

Reactions: Eagle928
I'm a recreational pilot and don't need RID. I purchased the Nano + because it doesn’t require RID. I have a Bluemark DB120 module for my Evo 2 Pro v1 and it has a feature that allows the module to comply and be seen by the FAA and law enforcement but not by the "Karen" phone apps. I've seen it demonstrated with OpenDroneID app and it works but I prefer a drone that doesn't require RID.
Sounds good and I may end up going that route. I really don't want to spend more than $50 on something I don't even want to buy in the first place but may have to to keep my E2P V1 in the air.

Sounds good and I may end up going that route. I really don't want to spend more than $50 on something I don't even want to buy in the first place but may have to to keep my E2P V1 in the air.

Here's a link to a YouTube video demonstrating the DB 120 and how to configure it:

I am aware. I've seen the videos just like the rest of the world has seen it. Like all tech, it's just a matter of time before it's defeated.

See my answer (previous message) regarding the remote controllers.

For me, it seems that transmitting RID or not transmitting could be (also?) remote controller HW version and the compatible FW dependent.
At least we have all the same FW on my and my son's drone, but the remote controller FW.
We did the FW update at the same time, and my remote controller got 1.xx FW as an update, while the other remote controller got 2.xx FW. The difference could be only due to HW version differences.

The drone with the 1.xx remote controller's FW transmits RID, the other does not.

There is no way to switch off the broadcasting of RID in the AutelSky application. The only thing you can do is, you can enter the purpose of the flight, so probably that will be also broadcast.

What I might do to clarify the remote dependency to cross-pair the drones and remote controllers, but I don't know what conclusion we can derive out of it in the end... Maybe, if it really depends on the remote controller to have RID or not.
I did read your post after posting as they almost crossed.

Problem for me is I would be buying new with no way to tell what version I would receive. Paying attention to your situation and @Flyin' Alchemist.

Thanks for confirming you can't turn it off via application. I had read a misleading comment that the option was going to be made available to disable when in compliance. Of course this is all sorta unfolding as well.

I appreciate the information. I wonder if/when it would be officially announced..

Update: I flew my Evo 2 Pro equipped with a Blue Mark DB 120 RID module and unlike before BOTH OpenDroneID or DroneScanner apps saw my E2P. My position clearly showed on both apps however the apps didn't show the drone's flight path or other flight data. I checked the parameters of the DB 120's configuration however nothing has changed. I'm not sure why the apps saw it this time but not previously. Those apps still do not show my Nano+ so apparently RID is not being broadcast despite what the AutelSky app indicates. Has anyone checked to see if their Nano+ is detected by one of the scanner apps? Perhaps the feature was added to updated AutelSky app to accommodate the larger Evo Lite which does require RID.

Reactions: BillD and Eagle928
Hi,

There is new Nano+ firmware that adds RID to the drone. One must first update the Autel Sky app and then you will be able to do the firmware upgrade to V1.8.5.
Then in the safety section, you can see a reference to the drone broadcasting RID. Click that button and you can see the RID number,a 17 character string.

However, however, however, when I tried to register the Nano+ with the FAA, I get the error message:
Invalid Serial Number.

I understood that a valid RID number is 20 characters long, not 17.

Regards,
Richard

However, however, however, when I tried to register the Nano+ with the FAA, I get the error message:
Invalid Serial Number.
I'm guessing you are trying to add a drone to your inventory as a recreational flyer? Just choose No when asked if it has RID or not and then include the drone's serial number and hit "Submit" and call it a day. The FAA database is broken.

Hi,

The FAA replied to my inquiry on why I couldn't register my Nano+:

"Mr. Mazzarella,
This appears to be a problem at our end. The DroneZone appears tohave problems with the letter "O." We are working to fix this. One workaround is to replace the "O" with a "0."

Paul
Paul Hamilton

PLH"

That worked (replace O with a 0), my Nano+ is now RID registered with the FAA.

Regards,
Richard

Last edited:
Hi,

The FAA replied to my inquiry on why I couldn't register my Nano+:

"Mr. Mazzarella,
This appears to be a problem at our end. The DroneZone appears tohave problems with the letter "O." We are working to fix this. One workaround is to replace the "O" with a "0."

Paul
Paul Hamilton

PLH"

That worked (replace O with a 0), my Nano+ is now RID registered with the FAA.

Regards,
Richard
But you have registered with the incorrect RID number, you ok with that? The number you put in that broken database is not the same number from your drone. You may as well just put any number in there.....

Hi Ken,

If the FAA says it is okay, I'm okay with it.

IMO this whole FAA RID attempt will fail. However, I am a responsible drone pilot that will follow all the FAA rules until this RID system collapses.

Regards,
Richard

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo