Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Remote ID and the Nano(+)

Autel responded:
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2023 21:56
To: me
Subject: Lite+ and RID

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for raising your concerns.

We are sorry to inform you that it is not possible to add a remote ID on the Nano+.
According to the FAA UAV flight reporting standards, micro UAVs should meet a take-off weight of less than 250 grams and cannot fly higher than 50m and at speeds of 40km/h.
----------------snip
I have asked them where they got the above information from since I can find nothing that limits the sub-250g class of drones to 50m/40km/s or in USA speak 164ft/24.8mph
How can DJI sub-250g drones with RID (Mavic mini 3, Mavic mini 3 Pro) get around Autels excuse not to add RID?

If you add a module to most sub-250g drones it will make it a Part 107 drone since: 249g+16g = 265g

FAA OOP (Operations over people) is nuts, if I add my prop protectors to my Mavic mini 2 to enable me to fly over people it moves the drone out of category 1 since the drone now weighs more than 250g and the second issue:

In addition, for Category 1 operations, no remote pilot in command may operate a small unmanned aircraft in sustained flight over open-air assemblies unless the operation is compliant with Remote ID.
Which the Mavic mini 2 is not.

Operations Over Human Beings: What is an “open-air assembly?”
Whether an open-air assembly exists depends on a case-by-case determination based on the facts and circumstances of each case. AS determined by the FAA.....

I can add a parachute to my ultra-lite aircraft and the FAA permits the weight of the parachute or any other safety equipment not to be added to the aircraft weigh limit of 254lbs.

anyone who intends to use a "micro UAV" for commercial purposes will need to register it and thus will required rid. also it can be argued that the nano with additional accessories will take it about the 250g limit....

really sad that autel support stands so uninformed.

Reactions: Eagle928
Any word on if the sub 250g Nano drones will have Remote ID switched on like they are with the DJI sub 250g drones?

I want to avoid that entire hot mess if I can. I guess I'll be selling my E2P V1 kit for the same reason.
I have a Nano+ and the last three times I’ve flown, I see a message pop up that says “broadcasting remote ID”. I never turned it on, added it or can even find settings for it in the menus on the app. This is an early version Nano+ so I know it isn’t due to a recent manufacturing date. Can anyone shed any light on why I keep seeing this? I thought under 250g was not an issue?

I have a Nano+ and the last three times I’ve flown, I see a message pop up that says “broadcasting remote ID”. I never turned it on, added it or can even find settings for it in the menus on the app. This is an early version Nano+ so I know it isn’t due to a recent manufacturing date. Can anyone shed any light on why I keep seeing this? I thought under 250g was not an issue?
That's in the app and not the Nano+.

it's still broadcasting regardless if it is in the app or drone, is it not? Confused why I need to broadcast any remote ID in a drone under 250g?
I has to be broadcasting from the drone to be in compliance. Of course if the GPS is turned off at the remote control's phone or tablet then the remote (you) shouldn't be visible. I don't how that would affect return to home though.

Can any Nano+ owners comment on how remote ID works for their drone? Curious if it can be switched off, as I am looking to get one to fly purely recreationally without the need for RID.

Can any Nano+ owners comment on how remote ID works for their drone? Curious if it can be switched off, as I am looking to get one to fly purely recreationally without the need for RID.
As of right now, the RID is only in the app. It's not in the drone firmware. No need for rec flyers of under 250g drones. Only commercial (107) flyers.

As of right now, the RID is only in the app. It's not in the drone firmware. No need for rec flyers of under 250g drones. Only commercial (107) flyers.
Correct. Looking to use this for rec only and keep my E2P for 107 work. Maybe when I get it, I'll download one of the "drone karen" apps to double check ;)

Speaking of, the FAA is claiming the Nano is compliant. Could this be a mistake? FYI the DJI MPP has been withdrawn.

My Nano serial number is in this list, I guess I should deploy my Nano and try to find out:

Reactions: Eagle928
When I go to register my RID for my Nano+ it (FAA Dronezone) says that the serial number is invalid even though my drone is in the Declaration of Conformance document from Autel.

When I go to register my RID for my Nano+ it (FAA Dronezone) says that the serial number is invalid even though my drone is in the Declaration of Conformance document from Autel.
Please take a look at the DOC and then try to apply the drone serial number using the format listed in the DOC.

The AutelSky app says "broadcasting" and provides a text box to add and save a message. The OpenDroneID and Drone Scanner apps do not "see" my recently purchased Nano+ even when directly overhead. I did the recent firmware update to V1.8.5 after updating the AutelSky app. Has anyone been able to see RID from their Nano+?

I've noticed that messages entered into the text box and "saved" are not there after the RC is turned off and restarted. Is this a clue that RID does not function on a Nano+?

Last edited:
There's no advantage to putting such coding in the software. It would be useless after Saturday.
I have included code like that in projects though that was websites not drones. Not saying they have done this just that it's possible.

The AutelSky app says "broadcasting" and provides a text box to add and save a message. The OpenDroneID and Drone Scanner apps do not "see" my recently purchased Nano+ even when directly overhead. I did the recent firmware update to V1.8.5 after updating the AutelSky app. Has anyone been able to see RID from their Nano+?

I've noticed that messages entered into the text box and "saved" are not there after the RC is turned off and restarted. Is this a clue that RID does not function on a Nano+?
We have two Nano+ in use, both have the same - latest FW installed, and interestingly, one has a "Remote ID" menu in AutelSky - saying it is broadcasting, while the other one don't have that manu at all. The FW in the remote controller in the bradcasting one is V1.xxx, while in the non broadcasting V2.xxx. The aricraft ID in the Remote ID menu maches the serial number of the drone.

Interesting, however I think/hope we hove nothing to do with the Remote ID in Europe, at least for a while...

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo