Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Ready to pull the trigger and buy. Some Questions.

Here's a guy who stuck his tablet to his phone with Velcro, and then just put the phone in the Evo's holder. Do you think that would work?

I don't have an extra phone, but I could make a block of wood in the same size.

It will. I have tried it with a Galaxy Tab 4. That tablet is so old, that it was an excrutiating pain to fly with.

HWKIDD, here is something interesting. On the Amazon link to the Evo with the hard case listed above in this thread, there is a question asked about using a larger monitor. Here is the reply from Autel:

"You can use an extender for the controller in order to use a bigger mobile device. We can send one to you once you have purchased one, if you contact our customer service team at [email protected].
By Autel Robotics, USA SELLER on November 2, 2018"

So Autel makes an extender to hold tablets? Is anyone here using this?

a photo would be great, I have played with a couple of ideas liking hooking it on the handles of the controller, but that did not work the way I wanted, Trying to keep things simple, as do not want to make a project out of a quick flight, and do not want to damage any orginal equipment,
As promised.
20190508_184036.jpg20190508_184053.jpg20190508_184117.jpg

Lots of ideas going on here, good ones too.
Thanks everyone......
butch

Don't worry on Autel releasing anything new soon. They have yet to release the goodies they displayed in CES 2019. Everything you have there is good, except the tablet. You will find that tablet will leave you hanging sooner, rather than later. Also, it won't fit into the controller's holder. It was designed for a cellphone. You might be better with a secondary cellphone with no cell service. In my opinion, the Galaxy S7 or above series are the best choice, since they are really bright and that makes it easier to fly under the sun. Hope it helps.
I agree. I'm an Apple guy. My iPad Mini is great. I have the one with cellular radios from T-Mobile. Getting fresh maps comes in handy somethings

Probably late to this convo but I would also recommend Carolina Dronz.

They helped me consign my Mavic Pro package then earlier this week, I snapped up a used EVO bundle they had briefly listed for $850. I added a hard case and landing pad to the package and it arrived at my office in less than 24 hours.

I've been hearing good things about Carolina Dronz. I'll keep them in mind for any future stuff.

The Evo is supposed to arrive today, so I'm really excited. Decided to go with the hard case bundle, so thank you Normex for posting that link.
Tablet won't be arriving until next week, so this weekend will be spent getting used to the controller.

Amazing first flight. The Evo is incredible.

I'm coming from the Syma world, where you're ALWAYS watching the drone in the sky. Because you have to, since there's no other way to know where it is, and you have to control it. If you lose track, you can lose the bird.

With Evo, I found myself staring at the screen, seeing what it's seeing. Then I'd have a brief moment of panic when I looked up and the sky and tried to locate it.

And the first time I used Return to Home, I almost had a heart attack. It was hovering about 30 ft up when I pressed the button, and when RTH kicked in it took off, flying straight up. Then I realized it was moving to its return height, but that 100 feet seemed so much higher when you see your $1000 drone getting smaller and smaller.

But eventually got over that height fear, and even took it up to 400 ft directly above me. Still not comfortable with it roaming away sideways too far, but I guess that will come with time. The joystick has a different sensitivity than the Syma, so my figure eights were a little messy. The wind was about 10mph, but it was hardly noticeable. With the Syma, that kind of wind would continually blow it away from me, and I'd have to struggle to keep it where I wanted.

The videos look amazing, even though I just left it on the standard setting. So much clearer and more stable than what I was getting with the Syma. And my tablet hasn't arrived yet, so all flying was done with the controller.

Loving it. Charging the batteries now, hoping to get another flight in this evening. Now I have to figure out how to create a YouTube channel.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Some screen shots from the videos:

Attachments

• Capture01.jpg
    Capture01.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Capture02.jpg
    Capture02.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Capture03.jpg
    Capture03.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 9

I'm coming from the Syma world, where you're ALWAYS watching the drone in the sky. Because you have to, since there's no other way to know where it is, and you have to control it. If you lose track, you can lose the bird.

With Evo, I found myself staring at the screen, seeing what it's seeing. Then I'd have a brief moment of panic when I looked up and the sky and tried to locate it.

And the first time I used Return to Home, I almost had a heart attack. It was hovering about 30 ft up when I pressed the button, and when RTH kicked in it took off, flying straight up. Then I realized it was moving to its return height, but that 100 feet seemed so much higher when you see your $1000 drone getting smaller and smaller.

But eventually got over that height fear, and even took it up to 400 ft directly above me. Still not comfortable with it roaming away sideways too far, but I guess that will come with time. The joystick has a different sensitivity than the Syma, so my figure eights were a little messy. The wind was about 10mph, but it was hardly noticeable. With the Syma, that kind of wind would continually blow it away from me, and I'd have to struggle to keep it where I wanted.

The videos look amazing, even though I just left it on the standard setting. So much clearer and more stable than what I was getting with the Syma. And my tablet hasn't arrived yet, so all flying was done with the controller.

Loving it. Charging the batteries now, hoping to get another flight in this evening. Now I have to figure out how to create a YouTube channel.

Keeping VLOS is a smart practice and I encourage you to keep doing it with the Evo.

Great looking photos especially for first flight and in auto mode for the camera. The evo does take great looking videos and photos. I will post a pic or two if I ever figure out how to edit, LOL........
buthc

I know the 7" tab A fits perfectly into the large front pocket of the carry bag. It may not fit an 8".

Heads up: Samsung Galaxy Tab A does not have a Compass, so you will not be able to determine whether your antennas are pointed at the aircraft by checking the line orientation back to the home point. Only cellular Android tablets and Android phones have compasses, and they are more expensive. Luckily, the iOS version just came out, so you can use an iPhone or an iPad, too!

Last edited:
Heads up: Samsung Galaxy Tab A does not have a Compass, so you will not be able to determine whether your antennas are pointed at the aircraft by checking the line orientation back to the home point. Only cellular Android tablets and Android phones have compasses, and they are more expensive. Also, currently, to record any flight logs, you must use an Android device, as iOS Autel Explorer cannot record any flight logs, so no way to locate the EVO on a flight log, if it ever flies out of sight, and disappears.
You should check the iOS update 1.0.59 from last week. Now it's almost as good as Android.
15576143654838606933693672047527.jpg

Also found Visual sensor status missing and the amap map from the iOS version. Everything was the same, so far.
20190511_185822(0).jpg20190511_185554.jpg

My first YouTube video. Kind of boring, but this construction project is a big deal in my town, with it uprooting people, and creating a lot of noise, even at night. So someone started a facebook group for people to get together and discuss it, and I'd promised them some drone shots once I got my Evo.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy