Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Ready to pull the trigger and buy. Some Questions.

SnagsWolf

Reaction score
After researching for the past six months, I've decided to go with the Autel Evo. Started off wanting a Phantom, then switched to a Mavic, but eventually I decided I wasn't comfortable with the DJI Geofencing. Plus, after hanging out on the DJI Facebook page, it was obvious that plenty of DJI users weren't happy with their customer support.

I'm a bit worriedthat I'm going to buy the Evo, and then next week Autel is going to come out with something new, but I can't wait forever. Got a trip to Florida coming up next month, and I want to get some practice in.

I'm getting some stuff to go with it, so I'd like all of your opinions on what I've chosen. Are the items okay,, or should I get something else? Is there anything else you'd recommend?

Here's my shopping list:

The Evo with On-the-Go bundle: Amazon.com: Autel Robotics EVO Drone Camera with On-The-Go Bundle ($220 Value): Camera & Photo
Samsung Galaxy Tab A: Amazon.com : Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0in 32GB Tablet - Silver (Renewed) : Computers & Accessories
Skyreat ND filters: Amazon.com : SKYREAT Multi-Coated Optics Glass Filter Set for Autel Evo Filters 6-Pack (ND4, ND8, ND16, ND4/PL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL) : Camera & Photo
2 Samsung 128gb EVO Memory Cards: Amazon.com: Samsung 128GB EVO Plus Class 10 Micro SDXC with Adapter (MB-MC128GA): Computers & Accessories
Folding Landing Pad: Amazon.com: KINBON Drone Landing Pads, Waterproof 30'' Universal Landing Pad Fast-fold Double Sided Quadcopter Landing Pads for RC Drones Helicopter DJI Spark Mavic Pro Phantom 2/3/4 Pro Inspire 2/1 3DR Solo: Toys & Games

Also, is that Samsung tablet going to fit in the Evo's holder?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Don't worry on Autel releasing anything new soon. They have yet to release the goodies they displayed in CES 2019. Everything you have there is good, except the tablet. You will find that tablet will leave you hanging sooner, rather than later. Also, it won't fit into the controller's holder. It was designed for a cellphone. You might be better with a secondary cellphone with no cell service. In my opinion, the Galaxy S7 or above series are the best choice, since they are really bright and that makes it easier to fly under the sun. Hope it helps.

Don't worry on Autel releasing anything new soon. They have yet to release the goodies they displayed in CES 2019. Everything you have there is good, except the tablet. You will find that tablet will leave you hanging sooner, rather than later. Also, it won't fit into the controller's holder. It was designed for a cellphone. You might be better with a secondary cellphone with no cell service. In my opinion, the Galaxy S7 or above series are the best choice, since they are really bright and that makes it easier to fly under the sun. Hope it helps.

That and for the EVO Bundle you should check Carolina Dronz as they have very similar but the case is really worth it, I have that bundle and love it as it is
very sturdy and light.

Good Luck

Last edited:
That and for the EVO Bundle you should check Carolina Dronz as they have very similar but the case is really worth it, I have that bundle and love it as it is
very sturdy and light.

Good Luck

I just checked Carolina Dronz and they're sold out with that bundle, all I can say is maybe give them a call anyway as they are
well plugged to when or where ask for the owner he is very well liked.

I just checked Carolina Dronz and they're sold out with that bundle, all I can say is maybe give them a call anyway as they are
well plugged to when or where ask for the owner he is very well liked.
Shame Best Buy no longer has the Evo, On the Go Bundle, and a $100 gift card for $999 anymore. It has been the best deal I've seen so far.

Thanks for all the advice. Ansia, the reason I was going with that tablet is because someone who was using it said they didn't have any problems. And I'd like a bigger screen than a phone has. But you've given me something to think about.
Normex, that hard case does look sweet, but that's on my list of things to buy in the future. Thanks for the link to Carolina Dronz. Looks like a quality store.

Reactions: Ansia
I have a Samsung Tablet E I use, and so far its good, only issue is little heavy, with the bracket mode I am using,

I bought this bracket on ebay, and modified it Remote Control ipad Tablet Phone Mount Bracket Holder For DJI Mavic Pro/Spark US | eBay
AND it was only 14.00
the part that goes around the controller is two small, I cut it off, and drilled and bolted it on where the orginal phone holder goes, works ok, for the big scree, but like I said its a little heavy at times, have not had any real long flights, so can not say how range is, but I also have a S9 samsung phone so remove and replace mount, and I am set either way,, I had a Mavic Pro when they first cam out, loved it, but the added restrictions took the fun out of flying it, I am sure if the Faa ever gets a plan together we may be back in a NFZ forced again someday

I have a Samsung Tablet E I use, and so far its good, only issue is little heavy, with the bracket mode I am using,

I bought this bracket on ebay, and modified it Remote Control ipad Tablet Phone Mount Bracket Holder For DJI Mavic Pro/Spark US | eBay
AND it was only 14.00
the part that goes around the controller is two small, I cut it off, and drilled and bolted it on where the orginal phone holder goes, works ok, for the big scree, but like I said its a little heavy at times, have not had any real long flights, so can not say how range is, but I also have a S9 samsung phone so remove and replace mount, and I am set either way,, I had a Mavic Pro when they first cam out, loved it, but the added restrictions took the fun out of flying it, I am sure if the Faa ever gets a plan together we may be back in a NFZ forced again someday
How about adding a landyard to your holder. That way your neck does the heavy lifting.

AND it was only 14.00
Can you post a couple pictures of where you cut the parts off?
butch.

Can you post a couple pictures of where you cut the parts off?
butch.

I posted a few pictures, So far it is working well, I am looking at options for a landyard hookup, but waiting for the sunshade to arrive, before I look at other options, at this point, if I remove the tablet holder part, the rest of the bracket folds just like the orginal, and it is only a matter of a few seconds to switch back to the phone holder if I want, I did use a little longer bolt, same thread, but about 1/8 inch longer, to make sure it was secure, as the screw did not go in as far, but for the price was good, and I am sure it would be great for a ipad mini, if someone is running a apple product, hope that helps, oh yes, it was 3 day service on the delivery of the bracket,, would be great if someone could 3d print that bracket, but have it go down and under the bottom of the controller, and out to the front with a landyard holder on the front,,, but that is out of my skills,,,

I posted a few pictures, So far it is working well, I am looking at options for a landyard hookup, but waiting for the sunshade to arrive, before I look at other options, at this point, if I remove the tablet holder part, the rest of the bracket folds just like the orginal, and it is only a matter of a few seconds to switch back to the phone holder if I want, I did use a little longer bolt, same thread, but about 1/8 inch longer, to make sure it was secure, as the screw did not go in as far, but for the price was good, and I am sure it would be great for a ipad mini, if someone is running a apple product, hope that helps, oh yes, it was 3 day service on the delivery of the bracket,, would be great if someone could 3d print that bracket, but have it go down and under the bottom of the controller, and out to the front with a landyard holder on the front,,, but that is out of my skills,,,
I use a loose strap with a landyard attach. When I want to fly with a heavy phone I just place the strap around the phone holder, then add the phone so they stay secured hanging from my neck. When I get home, I can send photos.

I use a loose strap with a landyard attach. When I want to fly with a heavy phone I just place the strap around the phone holder, then add the phone so they stay secured hanging from my neck. When I get home, I can send photos.
a photo would be great, I have played with a couple of ideas liking hooking it on the handles of the controller, but that did not work the way I wanted, Trying to keep things simple, as do not want to make a project out of a quick flight, and do not want to damage any orginal equipment,

HWKIDD, thanks for all the info on the tablet holder. I may go that route instead of forking out $85 for the LIfthor one.

Normex, thanks for that link for the Evo with the hard case. So it looks like a choice between the soft case, or the hard case for $100 more. I was thinking about buying one of those NANUK hard cases and cutting the foam to match the Evo parts, but the extra $30 might be worth it instead of going to all that trouble.

HWKIDD, thanks for all the info on the tablet holder. I may go that route instead of forking out $85 for the LIfthor one.

I love the 85.00 buck design, as its made of Aluminium and this one is just a heavy plastic, I ordered another one, just to play with it a little, I have a friend that has a plastic welder, so might try to do something,,and make some more mods

Here's a guy who stuck his tablet to his phone with Velcro, and then just put the phone in the Evo's holder. Do you think that would work?

I don't have an extra phone, but I could make a block of wood in the same size.

Here's a guy who stuck his tablet to his phone with Velcro, and then just put the phone in the Evo's holder. Do you think that would work?

It works well also, I have tried it, but felt like it could come off even with the heavy duty stuff, but like I said,, It works, and means no other Mods needed

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain